It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Survive at all?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
While reading through all of the survival, NWO and end of times threads a common theme seems to be one of survival and how to best survive any natural or man-made disaster.

Now, I fully understand why someone with a wife and/or kids would want to survice an protect them at all costs. My question is why would I, with no kids or wife or other family to speak of WANT to survive a major disaster that would kill most of the world's population?

I thrive on my daily contact with the people at school and work and if most people have been wiped out I'm not so sure I would want to survive. Now, being a devoted Roman Catholic, I would never comit suicide but I would not want to carry on alone. I know that some of you will cite the human instinct for survival but I'm still not sure.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Some things should never be forgotten. I would work to reestablish society. However fitting, it would be an insult to humanity to be remembered solely for its self-destruction.

Also, it would be really cool to see what goes down after this all happens, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
How about the refusal to lose?

Determination to win counts big time.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Dear AidanK

In the wake of such a disaster one would have to consider that the survivors are indeed the losers.

So one morning you wake up and it turns out that this disaster has happened all around you but for some reason missed you.

There is no power and no water from the tap. All the people in the area have vanished or are laying dead in the street.

As a catholic what would you do because today was the day to go and get groceries? You get in the car which has also survived with half a tank of gas and go to the store.

On arriving there it is closed but the time says it should be open.

Do you break in??

Do you go hungry and come back again tomorrow?? And when it is still closed the next day??

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
How about the refusal to lose?

Determination to win counts big time.
\

I agree that losing is almost never good but I would have a really hard time being 'alone'. My fellow employees are almost like my family and I don't think I would want to go on alone.

Of course, being a social person as I am, I would certainly seek out fellow survivors. Would this be wrong or dangerous? It seems that many 'survivalists' have the shoot first philosophy.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Good thread.

Hope.

Hope for a better day, to be in the sun one last time, to listen to your favorite stream, to carry on what those before us taught us, the survival of humanity.

Without hope, there is no reason to try and survive, you won't make it anyway.

For those like me, it's not about preparing for the worst, it's about living well now, taking care of yourself now, so if you ever need those skills, you can carry on.

Hope. Hope humanity can be restored, that we can make another smile, or laugh, or even a glass of clean water.

If it all goes away, and I Pray it doesn't, Hope is why I will keep going.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
One thought is that those who manage to survive "the big event" whatever it may be, will make up the next evolution of man. While you might survive based on pure luck, if we are speaking about an end of the world as we know it scenario you will most likely have to have some type of skill and willpower to carry on. The "survivors" of the future generation will share this determination and so could easily form a new society based on this new common trait.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by AidanK

Dear AidanK

As a catholic what would you do because today was the day to go and get groceries? You get in the car which has also survived with half a tank of gas and go to the store.

On arriving there it is closed but the time says it should be open.

Do you break in??

Do you go hungry and come back again tomorrow?? And when it is still closed the next day??

Thanks so much for the comments and responses. You've given me much to think about.

I'll have to admit that if I were among the 'lucky' survivors I would most likely break into the market to get food. Once in the survivalist situation I would almost certainly do this.

I would have to think this over and would have my limits as to what I would do to survive.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

YOU ASK A GOOD QUESTION. In fact, I made a YouTube video about that very same topic, so here it is. Hope this helps!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Dear AidanK

So as a catholic you go back the next day and there is a guy there with an AK47 or some other such weapon that has decided to keep all the food for him self.

Do you starve or do you go and find a weapon??

Having found a weapon do you just intend to threaten??

Or will you use it??

Hunger is a powerful trigger.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Watch the movie "The Road" if you're having questions about if you would even want to survive now, after watching that your choice would be made haha. Good movie though.

Not trying to mean any disrespect either, but if you're asking the question whats the point, I don't think your chances of surviving would be very good.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
"People crushed by laws, have no hope but to evade power. If the laws are their enemies, they will be enemies to the law; and those who have much to hope and nothing to lose will always be dangerous."
~Edmund Burke [1729-1797]

I survive so that one day we might take this world back and treat it as if it is our most precious gift and live together in unity as people without hierarchical tyranny.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AidanK

Well, I can only respond, I will try to survive, because I can. I don't want to just lay down and die, just cuz. I want to see what else this life has for me.

It's a great adventure. You'll never pass this way again. Not in this body, not in this place and not in this time. Why just toss it away? You might just make a difference for your own spirit, as well as others' spirits.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by AidanK
I would never comit suicide but I would not want to carry on alone.

Why is everyone jumping into a hole in the ground?

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I dont know about the rest of ya', but I have no intention of going quietly into the night. I'll go down kicking and screaming!! Why give up and lay down and die?? I alive and I will try to stay alive as long as possible. And I agree with an earlier post....I wanna know what happens at the end...

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Hunger and despair are powerful weapons.

Woe to those that use these weapons and have no idea what they are doing using the weapons that energize their foes. And woe be to those that force hunger and despair upon others.

The hungry and those in despair have little to lose, but much to gain.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I would want to survive because I believe I was meant to help as many people as I can while I am here. It may sound cliche, but that really is my reason. Those who are still alive will need help, answers, and someone with the skills and knowledge to help them regroup and rebuild.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Realize that if the SHTF you wont be the only one around, just all the non-prepared ones will not make it... The first chunk of time will be the worst.. when the unprepared are starving and in survival mode.. if you can out last that you'll be fine.. Once they die off you and the rest of the prepared can band together and you'll make new friends and acquaintances..

If your a social creature.. the transition period may be hard , but if your prepared.. just hunker down and take care of your self... then once things have settled down then reach out to others.

Also maybe reaching out to to others now that are preparedness type people in your area would be good for you since you seem to be a very social person.. make those bonds now so the loss is less when it gets bad.

I my self am not a very social creature and have no need for anyone besides close family and I'm well prepared, even to the extent that I have multiple locations in totally different locals, climates, and sociological locations that are ready to go just in case the proverbial poo does hit the fan. Not to mention dwellings, fuel and other needs stockpiled to get me to those locations and live very comfortably for months if not years..

I find that the biggest calming thing I can do is being ready for the worst.. I have no worries if it gets bad.. I know I'll be OK in the worst situations I can imagine... I worry more about it getting kind of bad, and not really bad... However, anything short of the earth being totally destroyed I'm good.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyb3rian
I would want to survive because I believe I was meant to help as many people as I can while I am here. It may sound cliche, but that really is my reason. Those who are still alive will need help, answers, and someone with the skills and knowledge to help them regroup and rebuild.

This may be off topic, but maybe not. Since I have never seen you in the survival forums before, what skills and knowledge do you bring to the table? Not attacking you, just curious.

OP. For the love of whatever you consider holy, do not go to the stores should something happen. You won't find out what the next day holds, the masses of unprepared will either kill, maim, or starve you. To rush the stores IS suicide. Plan ahead, there are a lot of threads on here dealing with taking care of yourself now, without going rouge and underground. Take care of you now, and should something terrible happen, you will be taken care of then.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Most people are horrified at the prospect of living in a world without TV, computers, electricity and cars. We ALL lived that way less than a hundred years ago. Why survive? Same reason as my great, great grandparents did: dying sucks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join