It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean currents likely to carry oil along Atlantic coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Ocean currents likely to carry oil along Atlantic coast

www2.ucar.edu

A detailed computer modeling study released today indicates that oil from the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico might soon extend along thousands of miles of the Atlantic coast and open ocean as early as this summer. The modeling results are captured in a series of dramatic animations produced by the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) and collaborators.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The video shows the oil moving not only along the coast, but well into the Atlantic Ocean, meaning currents which cycle the waters could take the oil around the world. Although I'm of the opinion that the Earth has survived oil spills larger than this one in the past, I'm going to guess it isn't a good thing that the world's oceans are going to be polluted with this oil. :dwn:

www2.ucar.edu

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Portugoal

The video shows the oil moving not only along the coast, but well into the Atlantic Ocean, meaning currents which cycle the waters could take the oil around the world. Although I'm of the opinion that the Earth has survived oil spills larger than this one in the past, I'm going to guess it isn't a good thing that the world's oceans are going to be polluted with this oil. :dwn:

www2.ucar.edu

Yeah it's kind of a catch 22. On one hand you have the effects of this oil being spread globally which I'm certain will have adverse effects on global sea life as a whole.

Then again the more the oil spreads out the less concentrated it is on the surface. You might call it "diluted" if you will. So on the other hand it might not be such a bad thing. That is only if the leak is stopped imo. Otherwise nothing will do much good as oil will continue spewing into the sea.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Well, I can tell you, living in the area, we have had many storms the last few days, and I am running on battery here, because of lightning..........yeeks!

The wind is blowing in that direction, and coupled with how the stream is picking the oil up, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Now that they are saying it will go up the east coast, I'm sure we will soon be hearing how it's going to reach Europe in time.

BP has a lot of work, by way of it's funds, forever to come.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It is my considered opinion that computer models are generally prone to error through omission of variables, miscalculations due to programming errors, and even abuse. In this case, however, the results are pretty typical of what I would expect.

The last report I heard was that two eddies were keeping the spill from entering the Gulf Loop, a segment of the Gulf Stream that enters and exits the Gulf of Mexico (old news by this point, but I haven't heard different since). If this natural barrier were to weaken or be overpowered (as in by a hurricane), or if the intensity of the leak were to overpower it, then the oil would enter the Gulf loop and subsequently the Gulf Stream itself. That is exactly what the model is showing.

Now for the three-thousand-pound gorilla in the room: What will this do to the Gulf Stream? The Gulf Stream is driven by differences in water density, and oil has some unique properties different from water. For starters, it is not miscible with water and will therefore act as a foreign substance instead of a dispersed pollutant. Will it's tendency to thicken when cooled cause it to descend quicker than the water? And if so, will this actually accelerate the Gulf Stream? How will it react with the various salts on the ocean over time? Could those salts be a natural dispersant, and could the resulting decrease in salinity slow the Gulf Stream? Will these two scenarios offset each other, and if so to what extent? Or are there other considerations that I have missed?

I see this as a time for extreme concern, but not for panic. We're capping this thing as fast as it can be capped using the technology we have available. The results of the spill will not be fully realized until the oil is stopped and has had a chance to circulate to the extent it will. At that point, we will know what the damage is; until then, we must do everything practical to minimize any damage and hope that nature is prepared to handle the rest of this influx... I know nature has shown itself to be very good at handling attacks by man, and the oceans are nature's cleaning system for the planet.

"When humanity handles waste, we call it a landfill and it is uninhabitable for a very long time. When nature handles waste, we call it a beach and flock there in droves." - me.

TheRedneck

[edit on 6/3/2010 by TheRedneck]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We need to boycott them and all their products and service stations. Here is a link please comment star and flag!!!!!!!!!!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by concerned190

I have to ask this: Why do you not want the oil spill cleaned up?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

No doubt this is an evironmental catastrophe, but to the Earth it's going to be business as ususal. Things worse than this have happened innumerable times through the life of our beautiful planet, she can deal. We need to worry about what we can do to help all those affected and to stem the loss of human livelihood.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dontblink
reply to

No doubt this is an evironmental catastrophe, but to the Earth it's going to be business as ususal. Things worse than this have happened innumerable times through the life of our beautiful planet, she can deal. We need to worry about what we can do to help all those affected and to stem the loss of human livelihood.

Oh, you mean like the death of dinasauers, past civlilizations? LOL!

Could you be more blatant at being calm, while everyone else is SCREAMING, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

No he has a point. No need to look back millions of years. Only 31 years actually:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Exactly, 31 years ago, that might have been deemed the largest disaster, ever.

Even MSM says this is the largest disaster of it's type, ever.

Now, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Unless you think apples are oranges, there is no good comparison for you!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This is disgusting. Someone needs to stand up and take control of this situation. It's going to effect the entire planet. BP isn't taking care of it, neither is our Government. What other options do we have?

Better go enjoy the beach now, it may be a long time before we can again.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Someone did the math on it and every quart of oil kills about 100,000 gallons of sea water.

The sea water dilution will not help.

The only thing that can save our asses is the 100% organic absorbent that isn't being used.

That and plugging the holes.

Though what I see is people kicking and screaming over this and Obama is looking around like it wont be his problem, because it wont be.

It is the poor and meek whom inherit this problem. The rich will hide and cower as chaos is rampant through the cities. The ocean and sea life will die and those near the coasts will also.

Air will become more toxic and human life will dwindle..

If only action would be taken now instead of adding insult to injury using oil dispersants with Anti-freeze.

I am buying supplies as we speak and saving my seeds from my fruits and veggies.

Mine include.

1) gas mask and hazmat suit

2) somewhat clean food and water (as we all know most of it is poisoned anyways)

3) gun and ammo

4) first aid supplies

5) a hiding spot in the mountains the cities will surely mean death if you are there too long..

sorry if my post seems paranoid but I can only see what people do and make my own assessments.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

www.worldatlas.com...

...Sea water from the Caribbean Sea enters the Gulf through the Yucatan Strait;
it then circulates (rather quickly) in a clockwise loop current before exiting
the gulf through the Florida Straits into the Atlantic Ocean,
forming the Gulf Stream, one of the most powerful water currents on the planet

[atsimg] media.abovetopsecret.com...[/img]

remember that when the asteroid/meteor hit off the Yucatan, some 65 MYA, and killed the dinosaurs...
there was most likely billions of barrels of petroleum product released into the environment then too.
The Gulf seems a gigantic oil pool under a massive dome & all under pressure and i'd guess that the Sigsbee Deep is the center donut-hole

[edit on 3-6-2010 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix
The only thing that can save our asses is the 100% organic absorbent that isn't being used.

What exactly are you referring to. I learned that Beeswax turned into a PRP can clean it up safely. It's natural and biodegradable. Just curious if there is another product similar to this.

...sorry, off topic

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by HrdCorHillbilly

There are in-fact several different products that are 100% organic and animal safe.

Youtube or google it, it seriously takes not even 10 minutes to find the products.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Yeah but, you see, there is no way for anyone to make money off the simple, easy organic cures.

Government contracts, baby!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

PFFT..

You have to buy the products to use them, so yes people would make money.

The Corporate gov. has already invested into an oil cleaning company. Which is in fact doing a poor job on cleaning adding insult to injury using products that are chemical based, instead of organic....

So the rich get richer, and the poor get stuck with a toxic ocean, as the Elitists hide in their bunkers.

If people don't see this coming then they deserve what comes to them as mean as that sounds, but I can not take care of 6.4 billion people.....

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix

PFFT..

You have to buy the products to use them, so yes people would make money.

Yes, but their "friends," with the more lethal fixes would not be gaining the money.

The Corporate gov. has already invested into an oil cleaning company. Which is in fact doing a poor job on cleaning adding insult to injury using products that are chemical based, instead of organic....

So the rich get richer, and the poor get stuck with a toxic ocean, as the Elitists hide in their bunkers.

Well, yes, that is the way it is. One hand washes the other.

If people don't see this coming then they deserve what comes to them as mean as that sounds, but I can not take care of 6.4 billion people.....

The "people, have no say, in who gets a contract," The old saying, money talks, and bs walks is plainly at work, here.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HrdCorHillbilly

Actually, BP is working on it. There is no valve they can turn to shut this thing off. The oil rig exploded and sank, bending the pipe down with it. It is in water miles deep, with tremendous pressures where the leak is. These things take time.

The cleanup hasn't even started good yet. What is the purpose of cleaning up what is still being pumped out? It would be like trying to dry off something in the pouring rain. The first step is to stop the leak, then they go in for cleanup.

I want to know why the rig exploded the way it did. There are supposed to be fire suppression systems in place specifically to prevent that. Were they not working? Shut off? Or was this a deliberate act of sabotage? At this time, I am thinking the latter of the three, but admittedly I have no proof. I will say this: the explosion occurred suspiciously close to the Obama administration agreeing to allow off-shore drilling. If this was someone's idea of a way to stop offshore drilling, then that person or persons have committed a crime against humanity.

And since my question to another poster above went unanswered, I see no point in blaming BP at this time. They were trying to provide a product all of us use and have to have to maintain our lifestyle. A boycott at this time would only serve to slow efforts by making it harder for BP to pay for the operations. And if it is eventually shown to be sabotage, those blaming BP will wind up looking pretty silly.

Let's get this thing plugged, clean up everything we can, assess the impact, and try to correct what we can.... then we can talk about blame.

TheRedneck

top topics

<<   2 >>

join