It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Should Arizona Seceede?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Given the current situation in Arizona, I have to ask the great minds on ATS.

Should Arizona Seceede?

Top Official Says Feds May Not Process Illegals Referred From Arizona

John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, made the comment during a meeting on Wednesday with the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune, the newspaper reports.

"I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like it, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper.

The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws.

The law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check suspects for immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said.

Since when did the Feds have the right to tell the States what law they can and cannot enforce?

Sessions said the U.S. government has "systematically failed" to enforce federal immigration law and claimed Morton's statement is an indication that federal officials do not plan on working with Arizona authorities regarding its controversial law.

When have the Feds done anything right? From what I have seen every time the Feds put their hands on somthing it turns to beaurocratic crap. Am I right?

DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano said ICE is not obligated to process illegal immigrants referred to them by Arizona authorities.

"ICE has the legal discretion to accept or not to accept persons delivered to it by non-federal personnel," Napolitano said. "It also has the discretion to deport or not to deport persons delivered to it by any government agents, even its own."

So the Feds get to choose who stays and Who goes? Why not enforce that law and let a Jury decide?

So I ask again Should AZ Seceede? Might as well in my opinion. Let the Citizens keep more of their money that would normally be wasted by the feds. Which would allow the people of AZ to prosper once again.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No, it would be pointless and it would probably effectively end states rights altogether, look what happened after the south seceeded.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

You may be right it may be pointless, But I doubt that the Feds could takeaway States rights.

After the States created the Federal Government. The States together can Alter or Abolish it.

I think the winds of real change are going to start howling soon!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Arizona Succeed? Arizona is waking up other states...It is Washing D.C that needs to succeed.

13 other states now drafting bill similar to Arizona, Oklahoma is drafting a bill that will allow for property of illegals to be used in state auction to pay for the bills.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

If things keep going the way they are, it would be pointless if we DON'T. How can a state function properly when the Federal Government keeps getting in their way?

Whatever laws, functions, programs or institutions a state has with the word "federal" in front of it, replace it with the word "state" and it will keep working just fine. That's what taxes are for. There are SO many way that a state can raise funds to pay for everything that the feds were once "in charge of".

As you said, the states made the Federal Government. In the past, it was their job to do what the states wanted, not the other way around. It's time to take our country back, and if that means secession one state at a time until a new government or governments are instilled, then so be it.

So to answer your question, yes.

Peace

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
He!! yea
I might even move to AZ
if they did. It would be
nice to feel freedom again.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
He!! yea
I might even move to AZ
if they did. It would be
nice to feel freedom again.

boondock-saint, My friend or soon to be and neighbor, Come On Down, we'll be Happy To Have Ya!
Moving to Arizona gives you Pride in knowing we have a Governor who takes Great Pictures.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bf4446719b23.jpg[/atsimg]
And Cares About us too.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I have family out in AZ .... I may migrate that way when the SHTF.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
arizona has certainly put the spotlight on the fed's paralysis. arizona's law is simply the state version of existing federal law, so if ICE won't process illegals from arizona, on what is their refusal based on?

yes, arizona should secede. if they did it, others would follow. personally i think the union of state should be dissolved and the choice made to reform into regional govs or simply leave the states to be independent. the fed gov has become a lot like big union management that mostly gobbles up money from members but accomplishes nothing.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by earlywatcher
Arizona's law is simply the state version of existing federal law

Actually, I was watching O'Reily last night (apparently I'm a masochist) and I learned something interesting.

Apparently, federal law actually allows the use of race in stopping an individual to check for immigration status.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I think this has been setting up for some time. I have become so disenfranchised with our country.

I had wanted to move to Tucson for over 20 years. Ended up in Dallas. Must say pretty happy with that choice, but...

The only way I want AZ to secede is if Texas follows...or actually would prefer Texas to go first, but that is another story.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I'm a desert rat. When I first came to the US I lived in L.A. In '94 we moved to Las Vegas, and I now live in Reno. Nevada has been slowly taken over by people from California who are trying to turn Nevada into a satellite of the USSC(United Soviet States of California). There's a reason my Cuban mother moved us from there to Nevada. If things don't start changing for the better here, AZ will be my next home.

No it should not secede from the union.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Only if it agrees to take the rest of the Western US [where i live] with it.

I may not agree with the particulars of all their laws,

but anything to get free of treasonous Washington DC.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If it does I am moving there, now will I be needing to get a visa to immigrate??? LOL. Wish Florida would succeed as well.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
No, it would be pointless and it would probably effectively end states rights altogether, look what happened after the south seceeded.

Yep. If Arizona secedes it's no longer a state but a small confederate nation residing within federal borders. The "S" will hit the "F" in a big way if they try a secession. None of their neighbors would join them and the political impact would be profound.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I'm a desert rat. When I first came to the US I lived in L.A. In '94 we moved to Las Vegas, and I now live in Reno. Nevada has been slowly taken over by people from California who are trying to turn Nevada into a satellite of the USSC(United Soviet States of California). There's a reason my Cuban mother moved us from there to Nevada. If things don't start changing for the better here, AZ will be my next home.

No it should not secede from the union.

projectvxn, Thank You to you and your family, Your more than welcome in our great state of Arizona. We'd be Proud to have ya.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5eb9b00e181d.jpg[/atsimg]
Print and insert name.

Edit to add, Jim Sharpe is not my name, but a friend of mine.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by tlshark

================================
You probably know that there has been a movement in Texas for some time now to become the new Republic of Texas, an independent country.

Whether or not that movement will ever become a reality is another
question however, and previous efforts, due to poor organizational structure, and criminal actions, lead to one faction's demise.

There has been however an upbeat in this movement recently, that appears to have more validity, and is gaining support. Again, no idea how far this idea will spread, but is interesting to watch.

And as I posted in another thread here at ATS, if we (Texas) does secede, the price of gasoline should not be more than about $10 a gallon or so, for you "foreigners" , you know, after paying for all those import taxes that will need to be paid to support the new Republic of Texas.

We will of course, recognize the new Republic of Arizona, as a
"friendly" and offer discounts that will not be available to other countries.

Just kidding of course, or maybe not........

[edit on 21-5-2010 by manta78]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hell yeah. I'm sure that if they seceded, lots of people would move there.

People are sick and tired of Washington DC and the illegals invading.

Hell I'm canadian and I would probably move to Arizona!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Talk of secession in this day and age is not logical or practicle.

I do think some state (money was on Texas...but now thinking Arizona) will try it. And then one of two things will happen.

1. The United States will attack them and force them back. Don't worry this won't be a long drawn out operation like the Civil War was. Take out power plants (this would actually be enough right there), take out airports, take out major bridges, take out any left over US military bases. Arizona will be helpless in less than a week. And if anyone is going to complain about me suggesting the United States would attack them...wake up...they would in fact attack them...it would be a national security issue if nothing else.

2. In the rare case that the United States doesn't attack them...they will be invaded by Mexico and/or another country. How would they defend themselves??? Of course they would crawl back and ask the US to defend them.

The sad thing is that a lot of people would die because of the actions of people who romanticize the idea of "seccession". And then they would turn around and blame the US for it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Hell yeah. I'm sure that if they seceded, lots of people would move there.

People are sick and tired of Washington DC and the illegals invading.

Hell I'm canadian and I would probably move to Arizona!

I would bet you anything that more people would move OUT of Arizona than move to arizona.

It is simply not a popular concept...and most the people who it is popular with want someone else to do it...not themselves.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join