It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's YOUR favorite sense?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Out of the big 5, what's your favorite sense and how far can you push it? Eg., can you smell smells that other people can't? Can you hear frequencies that no-one else can? (etc etc)

also, out of interest, what are your top 3 sensations/expiriences from your fav sense. Mine is smell, and I love the smell of lightening, rain, and earthy scents. What about you?

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'd have to pick three as my faves, Sight, hearing and smell. I lost my sense of smell once and it was a horrible experience, Similarly, I lost hearing in one ear and that was bad too.
I love to see kaleidoscopes, persian carpets, and anything that has tons of filigree and colour, gardens, and beautiful photography. I love to hear birds and music and I love to smell wallflower. My garden's full of them right now. Heavenly.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Common sense.

EDIT to add a second line: My favourite sense is sight without question. When thinking about which one of my senses I absolutely wouldn't want to live without it would always be my sight.

I can imagine not being able to feel anything by touch and get by.

I could also easily imagine a life where I was no longer able to taste my favourite foods...and still survive.

I can definetely imagine a life wherin I can no longer smell and to be honest my sense of smell isn't that great now anyway and never has been. If I lost it completely then I'm sure that I'd miss it but it wouldn't be the end of my world.

Hearing is a difficult one. In my opinion it's right up there with sight. Sight and hearing are probably the 2 most vital senses required for survival in terms of detecting danger and hopefully avoiding it. But if I had to choose, then I would always go with sight, if only to be able to see my children growing up. I couldn't imagine that being taken away from me and I hope that it never is.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by RMFX1]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

My favorite sense, as an artist, would be sight. I draw great inspiration from both natural and human made beauty and awe. Sight is my greatest sense for aesthetics, such a panorama of stimuli, the sky, flowers and vegetation, bodies of water, art works architecture and of course the beach.
My three most significant sensory experiences were
1) A Pink Floyd concert (Division Bell) in Vancouver, Canada. This experience was the most sensory filled situation I have ever had the pleasure to be part of. The experience had such ineffable qualities that it is hard to describe, but my senses were treated to a unique soul stirring event that I will never forget!
2)Tripping on a hillside in Arkansas - One time, when in an expanded state of mind(Leary style) I sat upon a hill and literally watched the day go by, mesmerized by the beauty of nature, content to just be present and soak it all up. My eyes were opened to the natural beauty as well as my ears, my skin could feel a slight vibration as the wind kissed me, the smell was of wildflowers and earth, my ears heard the breeze and birdsong, man what a delightful sensory epiphany!
3) Nothing starts my day like waking up to a smell of fresh eggs and bacon and good strong coffee.
As far as pushing senses, I do a lot of music recording and I have learned how to discern specific sounds/instruments in a mix of multiple tracks. This is nothing extraordinary, but it is not so common, I guess.
Peace

[edit on 17-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
being a fat boy, I like taste. ( I also cook a lot)
but being an admirer of beautiful women, I also like sight. It's 50/50 unless I see a beautiful woman making Key Lime Pie.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Lime Pie sounds good.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParaZep
Out of the big 5, what's your favorite sense and how far can you push it?

Nonsense -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a978982db20.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the more popular senses on ATS I find

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Common sense.

Crap. You took the only really good answer.

But since it's limited to the basic five by the OP....I guess it would be sight. So much of your other senses are tied in with sight, it's actually hard for me to even imagine not having it. Like if all your food is colored like poo, no matter how good it might really taste, it will taste and smell awful. Phone sex has shown that as long as you don't know the person on the other end of the line is an unattractive, obese, old lady with a mustache and facial warts with a hot voice, it can still be a good time (all apologies to the unattractive, obese, old ladies with facial hair and warts among us). Some things that feel wonderful are really unattractive (I'll let you envision those details). Yep, sight enriches our lives in all sorts of ways.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

freedom sense it is by far the most living source

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

That's awesome! Made my day yo!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Samson needed not his sight when he commited suicide taking the philistines with him, so that being said, touch led him to feel where the pillars stood.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hearing...hearing my wife's voice, a beautiful poem read, music...I'd be horrible without it

-Kyo

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
Nonsense -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a978982db20.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the more popular senses on ATS I find

That sums up the whole world, lol. Nice picture.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I like taste... its good. 'course, being a bottomless pit, can you really expect any other answer?

I like sight the second most... Because good food usually looks pretty damn good

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My favourite is SIGHT as well!-
watching the ocean, the stars- my loved ones.
Yes, my eyes make me happy.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Too hard to choose between sight and hearing....

I LOVE music so much... and chatting too..
so that would be hard.

But to not see the wonders of nature and just look at art and movies and people... I couldn't handle it.

So hmmmmmm

Can't choose, Too hard to call between those too.

All the others no problem.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

Good question. Definitely my sense of smell. I am very sensitive to smell's. When something smells 'bad' I just cannot stand it and I want to do everything I can to avoid it or get rid of it and can't really settle until that happens. When something smells good I can't get enough of it and it gives me a good feeling.

I can definitely smell things others cannot. For instance, I can even smell when my house has something funky going on, but my boyfriend and roommate think I'm over exaggerating.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wow, was thinking of my answer and it made me realize just how much i actually appreciate them all and how easy it is to take them for granted, so thanks for a though provoking question

I actually can't choose, i have very good vision and hearing and couldn't possibly take preferance for one over the other. I gues it would be taste, it would be a sacrifice, but no where near as much as the other four. Also no excuse to leave your veggies lol.

Peace

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ParaZep
Out of the big 5, what's your favorite sense and how far can you push it? Eg., can you smell smells that other people can't? Can you hear frequencies that no-one else can? (etc etc)

also, out of interest, what are your top 3 sensations/expiriences from your fav sense. Mine is smell, and I love the smell of lightening, rain, and earthy scents. What about you?

Mine would have to be ENERGY PRECEPTION AND DETECTION, I can push it as far as sensing people around me as well as other energy emmitting sources.
3 sensual exp.
My favorite smell is well excuse me mods but: Her getting out the shower all clean and fresh, ok TMI.
My favorite noise has always been some sort of rotary noise like a vacumme cleaner or vibration.
My favorite visual would be ALL OF US AS 1 AND NO MORE WARS but you know its a hard visual to obtain.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
for shur the sence i enjoy the most SMELLING nothing and i mean nothing smells better than my wifes neck or her chest or back area
lol one wiff of her pheromones and the softness of skin smells incredibal. drives me pretty wild

-peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join