It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do all the Disney stars turn out bad but the Nickelodeon stars don't?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
is it because Disney mistreats their kids while Nick doesn't? i'm not sure, i mean Nickelodeon is Viacom, so it's kinda run by the same kinds of bastards, but maybe Nickelodeon's crew has more good people? Or maybe Nick has only recently manufactured their own stars so we don't really see it as much?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
well that all depends on you level of "bad". if you compare nickelodeon now to nickelodeon 15 years ago, the nickelodeon now has much more adult subject and destructive influence. just because the kids on nick are not dancing half naked on a stripper pole, does not mean they are not acting in a manner which is not appropriate for children of certain ages.

nick use to have allot of wholesome programming but not every thing is mindless entertainment to keep the kids quiet. disney is just evil and does not even need to be addressed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by fallow the light
well that all depends on you level of "bad". if you compare nickelodeon now to nickelodeon 15 years ago, the nickelodeon now has much more adult subject and destructive influence. just because the kids on nick are not dancing half naked on a stripper pole, does not mean they are not acting in a manner which is not appropriate for children of certain ages.

nick use to have allot of wholesome programming but not every thing is mindless entertainment to keep the kids quiet. disney is just evil and does not even need to be addressed.

i don't know, i was pretty disturbed by the nick of the 90s. though it was more gross things like boogers and organs than it was sexual things.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Maybe it is cuz all those Nick kids were Canadian?

Then again Alanis Morisette was sleeping with Dave Coulier when he was hosting his stupid show and she was 15 on YCDTOT. Not that I can prove that but that is the old story.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Well, what is your definition of bad? I mean, there was Jamie Spears (Britney Spears little sister) who got pregnant at 15/16 and they had to cancel her nick show because of it.

That said, what exactly is the conspiracy you are suggesting here? That Disney screws kids up? If so, would you be willing to go into a bit more detail? Because it is hard for me to offer an opinion when I don't know the thoughts of the Author of this thread.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

Why do all the Disney stars turn out bad

I'm not sure this will answer your question, but I'll throw it out there.

A number of years ago I auditioned to be a dancer for Disneyland Tokyo. The audition was several hours, and some of the time was spent offstage, wandering around, talking to people, sitting around in the changing room, etc.

My impression of the Disney-employee culture was that there was a tremendous amount of overtly brazen homosexuality. A lot of the Disney staff were blatantly homosexual, and openly flirtatious. This is not to say that they were having gay orgies in the hallways...no, it wasn't like that. But...they'd talk about having gay orgies in the hallways.

So...regardless of ones view on homosexuality in particular, from my limited exposure to the disney "culture" there seems to be a tremendous amount of open sexuality to it.

It should come as no surprise that girls who spend years with people so openly focused on sex in general might pick up some habits.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Well, what is your definition of bad? I mean, there was Jamie Spears (Britney Spears little sister) who got pregnant at 15/16 and they had to cancel her nick show because of it.

Many might consider that "good". She could have chosen to have an abortion and continued with her career. I don't know if it's possible to do that clandestinely, but I wouldn't be suprised if it were.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by Donnie Darko

My impression of the Disney-employee culture was that there was a tremendous amount of overtly brazen homosexuality.

No offence intended, of course, but considering the reputation of male dancers and theater in general, isn't this comparable to bemoaning the overtly brazen homosexuality at a hair salon or flower shop?
Perhaps some self esteem issues a young girl that pursues stardom might have or the parenting in general would have as much effect as an immersion in the "gay" culture of theater.
It's been my experience that most gay men have no desire to turn someone's daugther into a little slut. As a matter of fact, gay men are often the person that teaches young girls that a lady sits with her legs crossed at the ankle, not at the knee.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The key issue may just be that a lot more of the Disney kids made more money and gained a higher public profile than the majority of the Nickelodeon ones.

Saying that though, there's probably an underlying reason as to why so many Disney kids become sexually-charged 'pop' stars whilst the majority of those on Nick go on to become actors / comedians.

I wouldn't put that down to them being mistreated when they were younger - more down to their underdeveloped skill-sets (they can dance and sort of sing - not as much acting involved).

As a consequence, the public pressures that the likes of Britney, Christina, Miley Cyrus etc far outweigh those of Mellisa Joan Hart, Amanda Bynes or Kenan & Kel!...

Resulting in the 'bad' behavior that you mention as they struggle to deal with fame based upon their looks and dancing rather than their personalities, humor or plain likability.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

considering the reputation of male dancers and theater in general, isn't this
comparable to bemoaning the overtly brazen homosexuality at a hair salon or flower shop?

No.

I took ballet, and I've performed with a number of theatre companies. So yes, from personal experience I can say there are places where a little flamboyance is to be expected. But there's a difference between a guy wearing a pink leotard holding your arm while he talks at 90 miles an hour about Miley Cyrus's fashion sense...and two guys fresh out of the shower wearing bathtowels having graphic converstions about oral sex and "joking" about how they'd like to take turns on the choreographer.

Backstage Disney was more the latter, except they wouldn't feel the need to "joke" about taking turns on the choreographer because they could say it loudly and in front of him and it would be totally socially acceptable to do so.

It's been my experience that most gay men have no
desire to turn someone's daugther into a little slut.

Their intent is fairly irrelevant. A highly sexualized environment is a highly sexualized environment whether or not there's any secret plot or deliberate attempt to attract converts. Like I said:

"It should come as no surprise that girls who spend years with people so openly focused on sex in general might pick up some habits."

In comparison, as I recall, Nickelodean was unhappy at Britney Spears simply for showing up to the Teen Choice awards looking like she had just had breast implants.

Years in an environment where people say "No, this is for kids...let's keep it clean" may generate different results from an environment where people loudly talk about anal gang bangs while walking down the halls.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
First off, not all Disney stars turn bad. But I think the OP hit it when he said you have to consider the mental state of someone who wants to be in the limelight. Most celebrities suffer from NPD. (actually look up the disorder, not what the public thinks it is) and needs constant adoration and attention. Not being there I can't say for sure, but it is not that Nick kids are less ambitious, but maybe a little more serious. Nick, while not quite as huge as Disney, is not a small start to begin with.
My other thoughts is that Disey is supposed to be a nightmare to work for. South Park even did an episode on it once, with an abusive Mickey and the Jonas Brothers. Disney has more money and power to push their kids. Everytime I see a star on Disney, I figured their souls are literally owned.
Which maybe why Miley Cyrus is doing what she is doing, she is trying to get rid fo the hold of the Iron Fist in the Three Fingered Glove.

I despise Disney. I can only imagine what they do to their actors.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

Is it your contention that the increased sexuality of the youths of every sexual orientation can be attributed solely to the gays?
Perhaps these conversations you mention were intentional attempts to cause discomfort, you being the "odd man out" and all.
Were you also privy to the locker room talk of young ladies today, you might find their conversations just as disturbing.
Certainly the opinion of a young gay man concerning the hyper-sexualized bantering of a group of young hetereosexual men would have a bias, as would the opinion of a heterosexual were the situation reversed.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 23refugee

Is it your contention that the increased sexuality of the youths
of every sexual orientation can be attributed solely to the gays?

...and in this thread, people so eager to come rushing to the defense of gays that they can't be bothered to read the posts they're responding to.

Or are you deliberately trolling?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

I removed my post because it bordered on rude.
After rereading your post, I can imagine a situation where many gays will go overboard much to the discomfort of others. Sadly, this is present in a lot of the social interactions of today. I myself have been made uncomfortable with others sexual conversations, both gay and straight. I can see how easily a few people can effect the behavior of an entire group. I'd overlooked the power of peer pressure. Apologies for the kneejerk reaction.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by 23refugee]

new topics

top topics

join