It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
We sent them maths?! wth is wrong with these nerds, if we want the greys to come down here we should send them a youtube "pattaya girl" video omg

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
How do we know NASA did not do it themselves, could have decided with new information that these aliens are actually not that friendly at all so fried the satellite.

I bet NASA put self destruct mechanisms into such things.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Good find and hope the "powers that be are" are building up to a total admission of the UFO phenomenon what with this story and the M82 signal one last month. Or is it all more "misinformation" ? We shall see...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I was just reading my own link to the explanation of the record sent with Voyager and found out something I never thought of before.

They included a stylus to play the record and instructions on how to use it, including speed of rotation etc. I love the way they used the simple hydrogen molecule to explain the concept of binary code too.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It's probably some meteorite that hit some chip and now the data stream has become unreadable.

Got to hand it to the people who originally made the thing in a time 8" floppies were considered state of the art, what an achievement. If only NASA had gotten the army's budget, the USA could have conquered space instead of Afghanistan/Iraq/whatever comes next.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Dragonfly, good point. We could all be on Vulcan by now!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ossie Cobblepot
Dragonfly, good point. We could all be on Vulcan by now!

Yeah I'm not a trekkie I'm just saying the USA had the best shot at escaping this mess and creating an outerspace utopia. Yet NASA is still working with decades old technology in a time where technology changes each year. It's just sad.

Anyways if it were aliens hijacking or tampering with the thing ofcourse they've could have just come here and used their own devices to send us a message, it would likely not be undecipherable.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I agree but I hear that aacross the pond Obama is keen to progress a mission to Mars which is good.
He has abolished the proposed moon base idea or whatever it was gonna be, maybe because it would be a bit hard to "fake" such an event now ha ha with such a "concious" audience!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I am just amazed at the fact that we can send and receive data from the edge of our solar system in 13 hours. This was put in space 33 years ago. Think about what computers looked like 33 years ago. An Ipod would have taken up 500 sq ft. Think about what 10MB of data weighed. It was almost 50 pounds. (well not the actual data, but the platters did)

If NASA had this technology back then, what do they have now?

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by remymartin
Hold on a moment we programmed the computer onboared the craft we should be able to desipher it in what ever order the the data comes through you only get out what you put in. Unless its been changed which is highly unlikely.

Well, space is full of nasty little rocks and speeding dots of dust that can bump into these things, and corrupt 33 year old machinery.

Blimey, imagine if we, today, had to rely on 33 year old transmitters for even terrestrial TV - it'd be snowstorm city... let alone something 33 years away from earth - you have to expect it to conk out one day.

298 years in the future "Transmissions from the probe have stopped... what does this mean?..... OMG - ALIENS!!!"

But it's always good for the "Oh I can't wait to hear NASA's coverup.. " crowd mooing at the news. Strike up another 7 or 8 threads full of conspiracy theories about it, for the next few months...

Either way, Cool info OP!

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Ahh yes sending messages back right near me 33 year birthday.
2nd

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
is it just a coincidence that this is happening when its right at the edge of the suns ability to power it?
i would love it to be another civilization calling us but we have to deduce every other exlanation.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by baldybill
Originally posted by dragnet53
Originally posted by xxshadowfaxx
I just have one question.

If this space craft is apparently 10 billion miles away from earth, how in the world did it get enough fuel for that?

What grade did you drop out of school?

it uses solar panels and light from the sun to power itself.

Also it used the gravity of saturn and jupiter to slingshot the voyagers so they could gain speed basically for free.

Not to mention momentum. Things just carry on going in a straight line in space (if you remove gravitational distortions from large bodies of course)

Solar panels? Voyager is leaving the Heliosphere, and the sun is just another dot to it. I, too, wonder about the energy source. How long before the Plutonium runs out? It takes energy to run the communication device on Voyager, and to receive and transmit data from/to Earth. This is the first known artifact from Earth to leave our little bubble, the Heliosphere! It's an amazing accomplishment and especially since Voyager has been able to avoid the space trash, being the agile little robot that it is.

Just the fact Voyager is sooo far away from us, and in fact leaving the envelope of our solar system through the bowshock, yet still transmitting, is enough to celebrate. As for data...anything mentioned heretofore could be true: damage from extraneous debris, degeneration of Voyager's aging parts, 'outside' interference of signals by either intelligent or sentient beings, or Voyager itself reporting unknown data in the only way it is possible within constraints.

Very exciting times.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Im just posting this incase people A) did not know this B) mite have some knowledge regarding this.

-Computer system use a system called hamming code or check-bits and/or parity bits.

Basically, they are bits added into a msg at certain intervals, so that if part of the data is corrupted,it gives them a better chance to reconstruct the information. Its actually a very interesting process to see how its done.

Now, this isnt an end all security measure, as to much lost or corrupt data can render the check bits useless.

So I would assume, either something scrambled the circuits on the ship, to the point where not only correction is impossible, but the "format" itself looks unrecognizable.

more info on hamming code-
en.wikipedia.org...

More info on check bits
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft ?

Yep, oddly both voyagers were not only returned to us, but were buried on earth when they brought them back, prior to "our" civilizations.

of course, who am i to say what reality can and can't do?

On the other hand, it's not impossible.

Perhaps the responses to our voyagers preceded us?

it's not like we know our own history.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but if we can't govern ourselves on our own little ball without so much chaotic turmoil, perhaps we should shut up and keep to ourselves, because maybe, just maybe there are those who don't want our social engineering ideologies intruding in their rights.

or, have we not been alone for some time?

perhaps our reality isn't as flawed as our wild imaginations may lead us to believe.

the following phrases use the same exact letters:

Etymological Origins
Alien log Or Mystic? I Go!
Noise Go Try Mail Logic

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LaMadameDuval

I wouldn't worry about the plutonium. It has a half life of 88 years, in another 55 years only half of it's radioactive particles would have degraded. I believe it is this nuclear degradation that actually powers the probe. It's apparrently very radioactive these days.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

This is true, but if you take into consideration the previous explanation of bit flipping, then it wouldn't make any difference, because all the data would be nonesense. It's not a matter of simply missing parts or corruped areas, which is where hamming etc would come in useflul, the whole lot would just be garbage and to the translater software recieving the data, the result would be GIGO.

[edit on 13-5-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Guys

THIS IS A HOAX

See my prior comments

It's not a hoax, just unnecessarily hyped up information. The only hoax part about it is the alien part.... But agreed as it were.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David_Reale

I actually watched that film yesterday!!! how weird is that!
Good film to, i think this is really interesting, i think its only a matter of time until we make contact! maybe we have.....

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

This story is the perfect example of hype

Not only has this been posted by uberl33t but it was also mentioned and posted by a new member in the intro board. Now I don't know the rules against making a thread like this after it's mentioned twice, but I decided against it for logical reasons. However, due to the stars and flags and the fact that this thread is still open it seems fine, since the mods didn't look down on it.

That being said this is nothing special, sorry to burst all your bubbles. Believe me I burst my own after reading this:

data received on May 1 show the spacecraft is basically healthy, and that the source of the issue is the flight data system, which is responsible for formatting the data to send back to Earth. The change in the data return pattern has prevented mission managers from decoding science data.

Mission team members have been working to troubleshoot and resume the regular flow of science data.

Source

I wouldn't hyperbolize the technical issue and transform it into alien signals as the article has done... Nasa isn't freaking out, sorry folks but nothing to see here really.

I find it kind of ironic that this gets the front page even though it "IS" old news like uberl33t said. Just because a slower media source grabbed it does not mean someone else here hasn't posted it previously, making it old news. It is what it is...

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Crossfate]

[edit on 13-5-2010 by Crossfate]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join