It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane Dumps 170,000 Lbs Of Fuel Over New Jersey Due To Hydraulics Issue

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A Continental flight headed to Tokyo dumped 170,000 lbs of fuel over New Jersey residents so they could make an emergency landing...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3495c389e3a.jpg[/atsimg]
news.blogs.cnn.com...

Bergen said the jet, loaded with fuel for what is normally a 14-hour flight, circled above central New Jersey for an hour to dump the fuel, making it light enough for a safe landing.

"By ‘dumping,’ it does not come gushing out of the plane," she said. "It comes out in a mist, which evaporates in the air."

About 170,000 pounds of jet fuel was released, and a strong odor led residents of several Somerset County communities to contact police and the state Department of Environmental Protection, said Lawrence Ragonese, a DEP spokesman.

"The DEP is taking a look at it," he said. "But at this point, there is no known health risk or danger."

www.nj.com...

This story is wrong on so many levels.

For one, if you had hydraulic problems, wouldn't you send the jet out over the ocean, in case it crashed, it didn't crash in a highly populated area??

Instead, they circle four times (according to witnesses) and dump 28,000+ gallons of highly toxic jet fuel on choking citizens???

To say the fuel is harmless because it evaporates is like saying the oil slick in the gulf is no problem because their dispersing it into the water.

No, it doesn't disappear. It disperses, which means it is still present.

Lets look at the MSDS for Jet Fuel (AVGAS)

Inhalation of fumes or mist may result in respiratory tract irritation and central
nervous system (brain) effects may include headache, dizziness, loss of balance
and coordination, unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure, and death.

www.tsocorp.com...

I believe this was Chemtrail propaganda. They knew it would make the news, and gets photographed, and then they could come out and say, it's just dumping fuel, no worries, move along.

Wonder if there was even any passengers on the plane.

Someone will be suing Continental.

fixed lbs/gallons mistake

[edit on 10-5-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
No star or flag for this simply because the OP completely mislead the community with the headline.

Jet fuel weighs about 6 lbs per gallon. The quoted news snippet clearly states that the plane dumped about 170,000 POUNDS of fuel. Do the math.

(It still should have been done over the ocean rather than over population however)

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tholidor
No star or flag for this simply because the OP completely mislead the community with the headline.

Jet fuel weighs about 6 lbs per gallon. The quoted news snippet clearly states that the plane dumped about 170,000 POUNDS of fuel. Do the math.

(It still should have been done over the ocean rather than over population however)

Your right. Thanks for pointing out the mistake.

No star for you, for letting the public think that 28,000 gallons is nothing to sneeze at.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
C'mon, that is not fuel, that is a contrail! /s

All larger aircraft have fuel dump systems.

Some aircraft cannot even land with a full load of fuel. Their maximum takeoff weight is actually higher then the maximum landing weight.

As for the hydraulic problem. When a system fails in flight, they have to land as soon as possible. One failure can lead to other failures.

Now, the question should be, if you or I dumped 170,000 pounds of fuel (convert at 6.7 lbs/gal =25,373 gallons), would we get off with no fine or something?

Where is our so protective EPA that states CO2 is a toxic gas that has to be regulated yet JP5, JP4 or whatever fuel type it was.

Here is another fuel leak or dump-

Italy-Thomas Cook fuel leak

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Free grease for all the Guido hairdos.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Ha, I'm surprised it didn't spread out into a layer a sickly gray cloud cover!

Seriously though. The airport (Newark) is so close to the ocean, that the plane probably took off out over it.

The would have almost had to intentionally come back in to dump over land. It makes 0% logic, and screams intentional poisoning for some experiment they are leading up to.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

REALLY? Are you seriously saying that the Ocean is not populated?

REALLY?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blujay

REALLY? Are you seriously saying that the Ocean is not populated?

REALLY?

Would you rather the plane crashed in the ocean, and kill a few fish, possibly even a fisherman, or crash into an apartment complex, or school, killing hundreds?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Please, I work on fighter acft. I am covered in jet fuel all day. The hydraulic problem is a major issue because it could've killed 100-something people that day. JP8 evaporates, and I'm assuming so does JP4 and 5. It needs to release that fuel because planes are not made to land with that large of a load, if it landed with all that then it would prob break in half.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

right.. let's pollute the ocean even more... cause there is NO ONE living in there ..at all...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If the dealings Ive had with Continental are anything to go by then there is no conspiracy, they're just a useless and disorganised company.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

That's quite alright, NJ is already a dump heap...a festering boil on the A** of America. It's rpugnent, and they should dropped a NUKE on it!!!!!

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FantasmaTaans

Jet fuel does not completely evaporate. It does disperse into smaller droplets.

Yes, some will evaporate into smaller components, but not completely.

I am an A&P mechanic. Have not practiced for a long time though. It looks like a 757 but I cannot find the fuel specs for it.

Here is the MSDS on JP5-MSDS JP5

Moderate fire hazard. Avoid breathing vapors or mists. May cause dizziness and drowsiness. May cause eye irritation and skin irritation (rash). Long-term, repeated exposure may cause skin cancer.

Similar products produced skin cancer and systemic toxicity in laboratory animals following repeated applications. The significance of these results to human exposures has not been determined - see Section 11 Toxicological Information.

Two main ingredients is Naphthalene and Kerosene.

Dermal carcinogenicity: positive (mice)

Keep out of sewers, drainage and waterways. Report spills and releases, as applicable, under Federal and State regulations.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FantasmaTaans
Please, I work on fighter acft. I am covered in jet fuel all day. The hydraulic problem is a major issue because it could've killed 100-something people that day. JP8 evaporates, and I'm assuming so does JP4 and 5. It needs to release that fuel because planes are not made to land with that large of a load, if it landed with all that then it would prob break in half.

Look, your talking to a Navy Vet with with experience on several type of military aircraft. I was a structural and hydraulics mechanic, so your preaching to the choir.

I'm not saying they shouldn't dump fuel, I'm asking why did they do it over people?

And if you are covered in jet fuel, you are one lame mechanic. Military regs have very specific instructions for handling jet fuel, and being covered in it is not one of them.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks

Instead, they circle four times (according to witnesses) and dump 28,000+ gallons of highly toxic jet fuel on choking citizens???

To say the fuel is harmless because it evaporates is like saying the oil slick in the gulf is no problem because their dispersing it into the water.

No, it doesn't disappear. It disperses, which means it is still present.

Lets look at the MSDS for Jet Fuel (AVGAS)

Inhalation of fumes or mist may result in respiratory tract irritation and central
nervous system (brain) effects may include headache, dizziness, loss of balance
and coordination, unconsciousness, coma, respiratory failure, and death.

www.tsocorp.com...

I believe this was Chemtrail propaganda. They knew it would make the news, and gets photographed, and then they could come out and say, it's just dumping fuel, no worries, move along.

Wonder if there was even any passengers on the plane.

Someone will be suing Continental.

fixed lbs/gallons mistake

You need to fix lbs/gallons again. Jet fuel weighs 6.67 pounds per gallon at standard atmosphere. So that is 25,500 and not 28,000 gals.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The Kerosene isn't that bad. The damned additives they use to keep it from jelling at high altitude and maintaining burn rate are what can kill you. Fuel dumping in an emergency is usually done over unpopulated areas or water. Somebody is going to have one hell of a lot to explain.

Zindo

[edit on 5/10/2010 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 4nsicphd

Your really missing the point.

Here's a picture of a 5000 gallon fuel tank
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7038ad47509a.jpg[/atsimg]
www.pharmaceuticalvessels.com...

5 of these were dumped on NJ citizens. How is anyone OK with that??

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If we spill a just a few gallons around here the enviro police are at your door with fines ropes off the area for decontamnation, ummmm they dumped 25000 gallons and its no big deal......ya ok...

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by 911stinks

That's quite alright, NJ is already a dump heap...a festering boil on the A** of America. It's rpugnent, and they should dropped a NUKE on it!!!!!

shut up
second line

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeres

huh? I didn't say the people were bad, but it is a dump...And BTW I am An EX- New Jerseyian, didn't mean to offend anyone. Just hate the STATE!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join