It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Field trip for black students sparks controversy at Ann Arbor elementary school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Field trip for black students sparks controversy at Ann Arbor elementary school

www.annarbor.com

An Ann Arbor elementary school principal used a letter home to parents tonight to defend a field trip for black students as part of his school’s efforts to close the achievement gap between white and black students.

“The intent of our field trip was not to segregate or exclude students as has been reported, but rather to address the societal issues, roadblocks and challenges that our African American children will face as they pursue a successful academic education here in our community.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This is a fine example of how kids are educated today. The principal specifically states that the intent was not to segregate the kids, but obviously clearly the intention was to segregate them.

One would think that having all of the kids spend time with a rocket scientist of any color would be a valuable experience. The fact that the scientist was black, certainly would have had the same power for the black kids if the other kids were present.

As far as the "roadblocks" experienced by black kids in the pursuit of an academic career, what exactly are those?

www.annarbor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I must agree. I think the real racists are the liberals. Many liberals hate black people, just look how they have destroyed the black family and black community.

Now they are trying to "help" black kids by taking them on their own field trip. Maybe the guilt is kicking in on them that their eugenics based abortion programs causes the death of 50% of black children.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by TrollierThanThou]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I think this is also saying to the "black" (Gawd I hate referring to people by their skin color) children that "You need more help than "white" kids" We have to do something special for you because you don't have as good of a chance to be successful." Its counter productive because for many kids it may do one or two things. Make them believe it is so hard to get ahead in life that they don't even try, or give the kids looking for an excuse on handed to them on a sliver platter. If we keep telling theses kids that they are at a extreme disadvantage because of their race so they need "special help" they are going to believe it.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Nothing like complaining about black people having roadblocks, and then taking black kids to see a SUCCESSFUL black scientist, led by a SUCCESSFUL black school principal....making ALOT MORE MONEY then many whites and other folks....I swear idiocy is at its all time high.

P.S. LOGIC...oh logic...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrollierThanThou
[I must agree. I think the real racists are the liberals. Many liberals hate black people, just look how they have destroyed the black family and black community.

Blacks are a tool for the Liberals to use to achieve their agenda. What really bothers me is the number of Blacks that think that the Liberals have their best intrests at heart.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TrollierThanThou

If they stopped killing off half of the future population then they wouldn't be considered minorities any more in 50 years from now.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

Yeah I hate the thought of them killing off all of those little black babies. I dont care who the majority is in 50 years. Just think how liberal policies and charlatans like Jessie Jackson have raped the black community over and over again.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I think this is also saying to the "black" (Gawd I hate referring to people by their skin color) children that "You need more help than "white" kids" We have to do something special for you because you don't have as good of a chance to be successful." Its counter productive because for many kids it may do one or two things. Make them believe it is so hard to get ahead in life that they don't even try, or give the kids looking for an excuse on handed to them on a sliver platter. If we keep telling theses kids that they are at a extreme disadvantage because of their race so they need "special help" they are going to believe it.

100 years ago, nobody cared if you referred to them by their skin color.

But, ever since the liberals have been "helping", and deciding what is best for all of us, the list of things that cannot be said, is growing and growing.

It is so hilarious.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

It is amazing, but Liberals are tricky like that. They tell you that they are helping you out with entitlements but all they are really doing is teaching you to be helpless so you just sit on the couch while they tar and feather you.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

wow, this is great. it's not a segratory thing, yet, it is segregation.
lol the black kids (i hate this, referring by color) would probably get more out of seeing a black scientist with kids of other color around, no?

this is not helping them overcome nonexistent roadblocks.

and this thread is turning into anti- liberalism quickly. if liberals are the true racists, then why is the BLACK PRESIDENT a liberal? why did the tea partiers, CONSERVATIVES that are against the big gubbmint, pop up just as a black president took office? yet, of course, they're Republicans, so they can not be racist!

and abortions are taken by choice. are government officials taking in black women by their hair and dragging them into a doctor's office? NO!

racism is shared between all people.

and, it goes without saying, I'm not racist, I have a black president!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LocoHombre

and abortions are taken by choice. are government officials taking in black women by their hair and dragging them into a doctor's office? NO!

No they just fund Planned Parenthood to put all of their abortion clinics in the non white neighborhoods. If you look into the history of Planned Parenthood you would quickly realise that it was established by Eugenicists for the purpose of weeding out the undesired races.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This is what I kept thinking, can you imagine the fallout if whites only were taken on a field trip leaving black kids behind.Jesse Jackson,Farakon,Al Sharpton etc.would be there in 12 hours flat with their mugs on national tv.

There would be Al Sharpton and his Rent a Riot in the streets screaming about that racist White Bunch at that school and they all need to be FIRED!

Sorry, I'm Old and Beginning to RANT!
LAPOA Guohua,,, Where's My Rum Double

[edit on 6-5-2010 by guohua]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
They really need to make white guilt a required learning subject for all white public school students.

Every white youth should be educated and made fully aware that they are already privileged because they are white, that they have more opportunities in life... No white students should ever get free lunches because they don't need them, free stuff should be reserved for minorities only.

Also, all white students should ride at the back section of all school buses and should always have to be the last in line for any school activities. They should only be allowed to sit in the very back rows in assembly events and in classrooms. Separate bathrooms showers for white students should also be considered.

Reverse reverse discrimination before it is too late.

Racism is racism with no regard for skin color.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I just got done reading the whole article and the comments. Other minority groups such as a Muslim girl didn't get to go, to me this speaks volumes about the principles racist attitude. Apparently 3 black girls got uninvited as well due to lack of room. So not only was this racist but possibly sexist as well? I wonder how the 3 girls were chosen to be excluded?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I just got done reading the whole article and the comments. Other minority groups such as a Muslim girl didn't get to go, to me this speaks volumes about the principles racist attitude. Apparently 3 black girls got uninvited as well due to lack of room. So not only was this racist but possibly sexist as well? I wonder how the 3 girls were chosen to be excluded?

I don't know, maybe they were light skinned black girls

Not fair, No not fair at all to our childern.
You just don't understand how angry I really am.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I believe that the school principle did what he believed was correct, however, how he did such was not. To exclude students cause they may or may not be of one particular class or race is just pure racisim on the part of the principle, and he fails to see what that does to the society as a whole. The lesson that he showed to the school was that he favors African American students and will ensure that more time is spent with them above all others, to ensure they are sucessful, rather than the entire student body. And to me that says that even though consciously he is denying that he is discriminating, he is on a subconscious level actually doing just that. The question is how is he going to ensure that the entire student body suceeds or learns the exact same lesson, or is it sorry you are not AA and thus not worth the time?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

Who cares if he did what he thought was right? The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Pol Pot did what he thought was right too.

This is the worse kind of racism. When are these folks going to realize that paternalistic treatment towards people retards their growth, not facilitates it?

[edit on 6-5-2010 by dolphinfan]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
When the frell will people (idiots) realize that to judge ANYONE by the color of their skin, is to create racism.

Hate crime legislation. Watch the CRAP that Holder espoused.

Sorry, if any of my friends dealt with these people, they would kick their frelling ass.

This is the problem, this has NOTHING to do with equalizing anything. This has to do with CAUSING racial tensions. Period.

Racial problems will always exist, always.

How do you fix it? By increasing rights of one race over another?

Sorry, I have never been a slave owner. Have you?

Our idiotic governance are exactly that, IDIOTS!

My friends have said the same thing, it is time to forget race and look at the content of one's character.

As MLK said-

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon of hope to millions of Negro slaves, who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity. But one hundred years later, the Negro is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacle of segregation and the chains of discrimination.

One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we have come to our Nation's Capital to cash a check. When the architects of our great republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir.

This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed to the inalienable rights of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check that has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is not time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.

Now is the time to make real the promise of democracy.

Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.

Now is the time to lift our nation from the quick sands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

Now is the time to make justice a reality to all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of it's colored citizens. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end but a beginning. Those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual.

There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds.

Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must ever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. They have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality.

We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.

We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one.

We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their selfhood and robbed of their dignity by signs stating "for white only."

We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote.

No, no we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of your trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by storms of persecutions and staggered by the winds of police brutality.

You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our modern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair. I say to you today, my friends, that even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow. I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification; that one day right down in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and every mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plains and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I will go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope.

With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood.

With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to climb up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning "My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my father's died, land of the Pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring!"

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that, let freedom, ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi and every mountainside.

And when this happens, when we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every tenement and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

If you judge me by my color of my skin, instead of the content of my character, YOU ARE THE RACIST!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So what the hell did they do with the mulatto kids? This is seriously messed up.

Here's the root of the problem:

“I think the African-American Lunch Bunch is totally in line with the district’s equity work,” she said. “I think the field trip was a fine idea.”

Equity work? The new code word for reverse discrimination! Watch for it everywhere. I could just barf

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Asktheanimals]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join