It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Taylor Downplays Gulf Oil Disaster By Comparing It To Spilt ‘Chocolate Milk’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

As emergency responders scramble to respond to the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, Rep. Gene Taylor (D-MS) is claiming that the public is overreacting to the catastrophe. The spill, which may be pouring up to one million gallons of oil per day into the Gulf, being called perhaps America’s “worst environmental disaster in decades.”

During an interview with Biloxi’s WLOX-TV, Taylor said that the massive oil spill is “not nearly as bad” as he thought it would be and that it “isn’t Katrina. It’s not Armageddon. … A lot of people are scared and I don’t think they should be.” He went on to compare the spill to chocolate milk and said that the oil is “tending to break up naturally.” The host, surprised by Taylor’s optimism, responded by saying the congressman’s viewpoint is “inconsistent…with some of the doomsday reports that we’ve been hearing,” to which Taylor responded, “David, that’s why I’m here”:

TAYLOR: What I want people to know is this isn’t Katrina. This is not Armageddon. I did this for the Coast Guard many years ago. Yeah, it’s bad. And it’s terrible that there’s a spill out there. But I would remind people that the oil is twenty miles from any marsh. … That chocolate milk looking spill starts breaking up in smaller pieces … It is tending to break up naturally.

thinkprogress.org...

Wow..and this guy is a Democrat?
Does he have ties to Sarah Palin?
Maybe he doesn't think it is all that bad because he has a multitude of illegal aliens who he knows he can hire to clean it up for much less than it would normally cost....

How can this guy even think about comparing the second if not the worst ecological disaster in American history to crying over spilled chocolate milk.
1 million gallons of oil a day....even 1 million gallons of chocolate milk a day would create a disaster there...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
The thing we should be concentrating on is not his downplaying this thing but something interesting and revealing he says in the video. I posted this in another thread but this one is more fitting.

There may actually be more to this disaster that they have not released yet. Listen to this politician talking about the spill, at around 2:47 into the video he states "The pipeline may break overnight" what pipeline? this is supposed to be a subsea well blow out. BP has huge 28" pipelines in the area that are called "trunklines" they transfer large quantities of oil from different vendors to processing sites. Could one of these have been damaged during the sinking of the rig?
go to 2:45 into it and listen closely to his slip of the toungue.

BP trunkline info.
www.offshore-technology.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I think his reference was in the color & texture, not that a child spilled it's
sippy cup. However for quite a large spill he does seem rather at ease and
not worried.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think that frankly he is trying to stop people from panicking. Keep in mind, the South is already suffering from terrible flooding and twisters that have killed a dozen or more people and injured dozens more. Not to mention that they are scheduled for even more rain this week.

I would imagine that living in this area -- getting attacked from above and from the sea -- one would feel pretty helpless and desperate. Notice his reference to Armageddon?

Further, with statements like "This area may not rebound until our children are in their 30's and 40's" kind of makes people begin to think about moving. No state is going to encourage people to panic or flee at this point. They already have too many houses on the market and not enough property tax coming in.

As fas as the headline, it's a little misleading. He didn't call it chocolate milk. He said it looks like chocolate milk. He also mentioned how terrible and destructive it is. Using the term chocolate milk sounds better to people you are trying to calm down and I believe that was his intent.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I just found this video that is his interview. I can understand him not wanting people to panic, but still. This isn't stopped. It is still flowing. Parts of it might be breaking up now, but there is no end in sight yet.....

This guy has a very shady history as it is. I'm just starting to look into it so far, but am already finding some very interesting things on him. It is also from a couple of days ago, because what he is trying to downplay is already happening.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by webpirate]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"The pipeline may break overnight" do you people not see how revealing this statement is? The guy obviously knows the difference between an oil well an a pipeline even though some of you my not. Something else is going on here and he just let the cat out of the bag.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

Yes. Exactly. This might be why it is much worse that was originally reported. The pipeline might have broken and that is what is causing the huge amounts of oil that is spilling. I agree. 1 millions gallons of spillage a day seems a bit steep from a well. Maybe it's just me...but I have to agree with you.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Yes, this may be the reason why their estimate went up 5 fold after about a week.
Remember that the wild well raged for 3 hrs before it caught on fire, this was enough time to figure out how much was coming out.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
reply to post by Just Wondering

Yes. Exactly. This might be why it is much worse that was originally reported. The pipeline might have broken and that is what is causing the huge amounts of oil that is spilling. I agree. 1 millions gallons of spillage a day seems a bit steep from a well. Maybe it's just me...but I have to agree with you.

It's not a million, the latest estimates are at between 200 - 250,000 gallons per day.

Oil is spilling because they tapped into the Earth's crust 30,000 feet and met a geyser of oil they weren't expecting.

A pipeline break is going to dump far less oil. This is akin to an underwater volcano spewing oil instead of lava. Try to contain that! At 35,000 feet below the ocean! [5,000 feet down, plus 30,000 foot hole]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

You're a little behind the estimates. I think 200-250,000 gallons per day was the estimate last week...when it was 5000 barrels per day. Now the estimates are 25,000 barrels a day. 42 gallons in a barrel...1,050,000 gallons per day.

Source

Source

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Phil C Hickus]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

nobody is arguing the fact that an oil well is leaking, but I am making an observation that perhaps also a 28" pipeline may be damaged and maybe broken by now and flowing as well.

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Just Wondering]

new topics

top topics

join