It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PETMAN robot to closely simulate soldiers (w/ Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
www.physorg.com...

Quote from source:
The robot, PETMAN (from Protection Ensemble Test Mannequin), is being developed by Boston Dynamics for the US Army for testing chemical protection clothing. The anthropomorphic robot will be able to balance itself while walking, crawling, doing calisthenics, and generally moving freely like a human while being exposed to chemical warfare agents.

At its current stage the robot resembles a box on legs, but in its final form it will closely resemble a person, having “the shape and size of a standard human,” according to VP of Engineering at Boston Dynamics, Robert Playter. When completed, PETMAN will be the first anthropomorphic robot to move dynamically like a real person, Playter said. The army also wanted the robot to simulate physiological responses inside the suit, such as sweating, temperature and humidity control, and even breathing, to even more realistically simulate a soldier wearing a protective suit.

Getting to 4.4 MPH

And the amazing bigdog...

I thought I would post this as this tech is amazing. It begins to frighten me thinking of terminator.
This was an update on the old videos so it is worth a new look.

It's a interesting robot and the bigdog is awesome because the guy actually kicks it and it keeps on going. I know they push the little robot, but that's it, just a little push, nothing like what they do to the bigdog.

This will be a horrible technology if used as soldiers. I know it would save a lot of lives, but it would be horrible being the person on the other end of the machine. Although maybe we could teach the robot not to rape and torture people.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I thought this was super interesting, but apparently no one else does.

Just kidding.
was hoping to get some opinions though.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Great stuff. I think that BigDog will be the first onto the field.

Imagine having that running beside you lugging your mini-gun and rations for you.

Then PETMAN follows through, RPG at the ready, and ignoring the best hits from a sniper...

Go flush em out PETMAN!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Thanks for the reply buddy.

I think it would be amazing only if it was on my team.

Other than that I would be terrified.

It would be good to have with you hiking though. It could carry all of your stuff while you just have to worry about yourself. Would also be good if someone had to be carried.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
already been discussed and posted about

here and here

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Snippet

7. Urban soldier
Asimo can walk, run, go upstairs and wisecrack. All he needs now is the ability to fire explosive weapons, and he'd be the ideal soldier. Although admittedly, Honda might want to give him a camouflage makeover: that white exterior would stand out in an urban warfare zone. He'd at least be in with a shout of winning the Singapore Government's TechX Challenge, which plans to award £330,000 to the best street-fighting robot scientists can come up with. Or Honda could just stick tank-treads on Asimo and make him clear mines, of course.

2nd line.

join