It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who took this photo on the moon ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Only 2 people landed on moon via Apollo 17, Eugene Cernan and Harrison Schmitt.

Then who took this photo of BOTH OF THEM?

It's a high res NASA photo, so you'll have to zoom in lots to see the reflection in the visor.

history.nasa.gov...

Their cameras were chest mounted, fixed, no viewfinder Hassleblad cameras.
So if the guy in the vest (in the reflection) was looking straight ahead, who took the photo ?

Also, doesn't the guy in the reflection look like somone pretending to be an astronaut .. when in fact he's just wearing gear that might pass as the real thing if not closely examined. I mean why wear a real spacesuit for a photo when noone will ever have the ability to zoom in.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
For a closer look for everyone, here it is:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ed16e1ea379.jpg[/atsimg]

Edit - To clarify... this credit goes to ppk55 (the OP) for the discovery, not me.

This is a great discovery. I haven't seen this before on ATS or anywhere else.

Thank you ppk55 for sharing the discovery.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Deaf Alien]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Maybe its just me but, there doesn’t seem to be a camera mounted on the suit in the reflection and isn’t he too far away to have taken this picture too?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It does look strange indeed.

Looks like he's standing with his hands in his pockets?!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

weird indeed, I know the visor has a fish eye kind of distortion but the guy shouldn't be that far back, and how much zoom did that camera have back in the day?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yeah, and it seems to be the wrong angle too if the camera is mounted on his chest....very weird. Nice find

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
Yeah, and it seems to be the wrong angle too if the camera is mounted on his chest....very weird. Nice find

Yeah, he's standing at an angle, so I don't see how he could have taken the photo.... very weird indeed. There must have been a 2nd shooter.... on the grassy knoll

Nice find OP - S&F

(I assume what looks to be "32" right smack centre at the bottom of the page is indeed the number of the photo?)

[edit on 22-4-2010 by TortoiseKweek]

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
It could have been taken from the rover mounted camera, there are lots of pics taken from the rover mounted camera, well stills from the rover mounted video camera.

It is intriguing, but I am not ready to accept that a third person was present until that option has been ruled out.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Sometimes it is fun to just make some conspiracies bigger; so here I go~

If you look just below the image of the other astronaut in the blown up visor you can see what looks like an outline of someone that was possibly airbrushed out. Also to the left of that astronaut is another artifact that has possibly been airbrushed out, possibly a light source used in photography.

Edit to add: If you look at the original photo in the shadow, dead center, there are 2 remaining artifacts of light. As if something else was visible in the shadow but it was completely blacked out. The center of the shadow is pitch black with two barely visible light spots and a slight edge of something that was possible once visible in the shadow before being blacked out.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by Cassey222]

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

You are viewing a reflection. He is turned slightly to his right, placing the reflecting surface to his left. The angle looks about right.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
According to a description from NASA, the photo was taken by "scientist-astronaut Harrison H. Schmitt". They also provide the photo in a slightly larger resolution, though I can't make anything more out of it.

I would like to point out that the perspective could be just right. The focus of the photo is to the right of Cernan, so that would mean that Schmitt would be looking to the right edge of the photo (both himself as his reflection). In the reflection he seems to be turned away too much to have taken the photo, but could that be the fish-eye effect of the spherical helmet?

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppk55

Then who took this photo of BOTH OF THEM?

umm. sorry for ask, but all i see it's just 1 man standing in left side, and 1 in his visor.. that's only 2 right?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Someone had to take the photo of the big guy in frame, and it couldn't have been the little guy reflected in his visor ... because he's pointed the wrong way. oh yeah, and the little guy doesn't have a life preserving backpack either.

Originally posted by riverbank
umm. sorry for ask, but all i see it's just 1 man standing in left side, and 1 in his visor.. that's only 2 right?

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by riverbank

This is a tough one. I was looking at the floor and noticed footprints coming from the camera mans direction but still no reflection of him...

Hmmm.

EDIT: Didn't mean to reply to riverbank

[edit on 22-4-2010 by jonnyc55]

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Ummm ... Hate to be the one to rain on your parade but , there were THREE crew members on Apollo 17 .

Eugene A. Cernan , Harrison H. Schmitt , Ronald E. Evans .

No mystery here ...

www.astronautix.com...

www.nasm.si.edu...

history.nasa.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-4-2010 by okbmd]

[edit on 22-4-2010 by okbmd]

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Evans went to the moon, but didn't roam around..

While astronauts Cernan and Schmitt descended in the Lunar Module "Challenger" to explore the moon, astronaut Ronald E. Evans remained with the Apollo 17 Command and Service Modules in lunar orbit.

from spaceflight.nasa.gov...

According to NASA, there were two men present at the time the photo was taken; Schmitt is in the reflection, taking the photo.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not to rain on your parade, but only 2 of them made it to the surface

>>While Cernan and Schmitt completed their explorations of the Taurus-Littrow landing area down on the lunar surface, Evans maintained a solo vigil in lunar orbit aboard the "America",

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd
But didn't one man have to stay in the module just in case there was a problem?

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
reply to post by ppk55

Ummm ... Hate to be the one to rain on your parade but , there were THREE crew members on Apollo 17 .

Eugene A. Cernan , Harrison H. Schmitt , Ronald E. Evans .

No mystery here ...

That's lovely, but if you did your research you'd know only two could go down in the lander while one remained on the command module. Thus, only two were ever on the moon for each of the Apollo missions.

Here's a quote for your first link just for further varification.

While Cernan and Schmitt were exploring the lunar surface, Evans was conducting numerous scientific activities in the CSM in lunar orbit.

IMO, it's a illusion created by the reflection of the visor, nothing more.

[edit on 4/22/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by scraze

This qoute states there were only 2 guys roaming around on the moon, but the answer were looking for now is... How come the guy in the reflection looks out of place?

If we can't manage to give a logical reason for the '2nd' man then we could say this was staged.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join