It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers measure ‘biggest’ comet (beautiful picture)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
www.phenomenica.com...

Quote from source:
Astronomers have measured Comet McNaught, which is believed to be the biggest comet to date.

In January 2007, people around the world watched comet McNaught streak across the sky.

It was the brightest comet seen since 1965 and, in some places, was visible to the naked eye in broad daylight.

The visible tail was about 35 degrees long, or roughly the same apparent size as 70 full moons lined up in the night sky.

By chance, the European Space Agency's Ulysses spacecraft plowed through the width of the comet's tail in February 2007.

Designed to study the sun's atmosphere, the probe could record information on how the comet's passage affected the solar wind, which is actually charged particles constantly streaming from the sun.

When a comet nears the sun, heat vaporizes the space rock's ices, releasing dust, which forms the comet's shining tail. But comets also have invisible tails of charged gases, or plasma, that interact with the solar wind.

Like a boat stirring up a wake, a comet's plasma tail creates "bow waves" in the solar wind on either side of the comet.

I had to share this picture because it is beautiful. Also, a lot of good information about this comet, and it is interesting to read about the biggest comet. Hopefully this is the biggest one that we ever see, especially this close to Earth.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Ahh, it's absolutely stunning. I would have missed this....thanks for putting it up for us.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Exquisite picture - that has to be one of the best photos I have seen
I followed Comet McNaught with great interest and was fortunate enough to catch the tail end of it one day as it disappeared over the horizon. No pics though

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by destiny-fate

That's awesome.

I would have taken a ton of pictures though, just so I could remember. Awesome sight though, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Your welcome buddy.

Anything that I look at and I can stare at awe in for a few minutes I feel the need to share it. This picture to me was breathtaking so I thought other would appreciate it as well.

Pred...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Again, the third amazing astronomical photograph I've seen today.
Thank you

Oh and, is there a larger version of the photo?
I'd love to make it my backround but it's to small and looks like crap.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

www.seeinginthedark.org...

1654 x 1309 - 2025k - jpg

Here you go. One of the better ones I could find.

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join