It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't europeans tip

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
What is with the Europeans? These people are either being rude and insulting by not tipping or just plain down right ignorant as to how much to tip. I work at a 5 star resort where a room costs between five hundred and a thousand US dollars per night.
If they can afford a room in this price range, why not tip properly? I just dont get it.To top it off these people show up for a weeks stay with only a bag or two. A whole week living out of just one bag for a whole family!!To make matters worse ,the vehicles that they lease are top of the line Benz' and BMWs. What is with these people!!!! EERRR.:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

So its actually only Europeans at this particular resort that don't tip?

I'm European.... and to be honest I'm not much of a tipper..

I will tip I guess, But I'm already being overcharged/ripped off in the price, so I never leave a lot... and certainly not a flat rate/percentage.
And I know that it's for the Waiters/Waitresses as they don't make much and many live off tips.... But man, there are much needier people in the world that Waiting staff.

Tipping is not as big a deal in The UK/Europe as it is in the states, We're much more mean/stingy in that respect.

[edit on 14/4/10 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Oddly enough, most people don't realize the tipping tradition in hotels...(I'm assuming you mean leaving a tip in the room at the end of your stay?).... Not just Europeans. A long time ago, my wife did this work, so I'm aware of the tradition since our marriage, but prior to that, I simply had no idea it was customary to do so.

If you mean tipping for baggage handling, waiting/bar tending service, etc., then I have no idea why they don't tip...

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

So its actually only Europeans at this particular resort that don't tip?

I'm European.... and to be honest I'm not much of a tipper..

I will tip I guess, But I'm already being overcharged/ripped off in the price, so I never leave a lot... and certainly not a flat rate/percentage.
And I know that it's for the Waiters/Waitresses as they don't make much and many live off tips.... But man, there are much needier people in the world that Waiting staff.

Tipping is not as bi a deal in The UK/Europe as it is in the states, We're much more mean/stingy in that respect.

Point is, Dont bother staying at a 5 star resort where gratuity is NOT INCLUDED!! If you feel overcharged or ripped off stay at the super 8 down the road.And if your so concerned about the poor people suffering in the world, WTF are you doing staying at a 5 star resort in the first place. Hypocrite!!!

[edit on 14-4-2010 by oliveoil]

[edit on 14-4-2010 by oliveoil]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

Point is, Dont bother staying at a 5 star resort where gratuity is NOT INCLUDED!! If you feel overcharged or ripped off stay at the super 8 down the road.And if your so concerned about the poop people suffering in the world WTF are you doing staying at a 5 star resort in the first place.

Oh I wouldn't stay at a place like that, not my style, the Super8 will do just fine.
And yeah, I see what you're saying, If the folks can flash the cash around and drive top of the range cars, then yeah, they should also just give you money too... Awesome.

But seriously, I do see what you're saying and I can see why it would be frustrating.

Hypocrite!!!

Thank you very much, Awfully kind of you to say

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I do wonder why you expect a tip all the time? I have worked in the service industry in a variety of jobs and did not get tipped. Should we tip the baggers, check out cashiers, and stock boys? Should you tip the gas station attendant? I worked at all of those jobs and no one got tipped.

We are a nation of whiners and expect everything. You get your tip every Friday (or whenever) you receive your paycheck. There are many people out there who would be grateful for your job.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
It might be slightly ignorant, but I wouldnt say it was rude. Well, not intentionally rude anyway.
Its just a difference in customs, tipping isnt a huge deal over here, and there's plenty of people who dont really consider local customs when they're travelling (woe betide people who dont do their research when they're off to Dubai!), and so dont always get things right.

How does the tipping thing work over there anyway? Do you basically just have to tip everyone who doesnt f their job up?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I wont tip you in the UK but if thats how things are in the USA or whereever i do try and tip but dont expect a tip. you need to earn it

if your wage is not enough to live on and you need tips to pay the rent maybe you should cut down on things or is it that the rate of pay is too low ?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Point is, Dont bother staying at a 5 star resort where gratuity is NOT INCLUDED!! If you feel overcharged or ripped off stay at the super 8 down the road.And if your so concerned about the poop people suffering in the world WTF are you doing staying at a 5 star resort in the first place.

Oh I wouldn't stay at a place like that, not my style, the Super8 will do just fine.
And yeah, I see what you're saying, If the folks can flash the cash around and drive top of the range cars, then yeah, they should also just give you money too... Awesome.

But seriously, I do see what you're saying and I can see why it would be frustrating.

Hypocrite!!!

Thank you very much, Awfully kind of you to say

Apologies, My anger is not directed at you. Just at the Europeans in general.The terms and conditions are fully explained to our guests beforehand and this includes all tipping polices. Everyone understands but the Europeans. Go figure.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Apologies, My anger is not directed at you. Just at the Europeans in general.The terms and conditions are fully explained to our guests beforehand and this includes all tipping polices. Everyone understands but the Europeans. Go figure.

So you have "Terms & Conditions" on tipping?
Is tipping mandatory in this hotel?

Are you paid very badly or do you just assume to get or expect money from these guests because they have a lot of money themselves?

I'm just trying to get my head around the whole thing... you seem really annoyed at these people for not giving you their money, for effectively just doing your job.... Am I right there or off the mark?

Just help me understand a little better thanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecrow001

I wont tip you in the UK but if thats how things are in the USA or whereever i do try and tip but dont expect a tip. you need to earn it

if your wage is not enough to live on and you need tips to pay the rent maybe you should cut down on things or is it that the rate of pay is too low ?

This is not an issue of what I receive as compensation for my job. I get paid salary very well. My issue is with these European people who come here and are ignorant as to how things work. I would rather not be tipped than be tipped poorly. That is an insult.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Honestly my opinion on tipping is you shouldnt get everything unless you give me a service i think is worth extra money, even though i service should be good anyway.

I think your being ungrateful tbh.

i would only tip super service.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Is this how it actually works?

Quite bothered by this one - 'Stevedore
Tip $2-5 dollars per bag. You want your luggage to get on and off the ship, don't you?'

What? Will your bags 'accidentally' end up in the water otherwise?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

dont you think its stupid, they want to be piad more for doing their job.

Screw that, you'll get a tip if your good, if you dont get a tip then you know you suck at your job.

DONT EAT YELLOW SNOW

haha i love that one.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Some US jobs are allowed to pay below minimum wage, because tipping is a larger part of the income (for example, waiters)....

I basically equate it to if the job is a personal service (such as a haircut, waiting on me in a restaurant, cleaning up after me (such as in a hotel), or valet parking, baggage handling, taxi ride with decent conversation), it's a tipping thing....

Just my rules of thumb...

Restaurant = 15% (standard), 20-25% (if good service), 30% or more (if excellent service) 0-10% (if poor service)...I'm typically in the 25% range though, as it's an easy calculation....
Haircut = 15%
Hotel = $5-$10 per day we stayed (depending on the star level of the hotel, service received, etc.) Typically, I'm a four-star kind of guy...Loews' Hotels.
Valet = $3-$5 (but I almost never use it, as I hate waiting to leave someplace, I'd rather drive myself thanks...but sometimes you have to use this)...
Baggage = $1-$3 per bag, depending on service, how much it's needed at the time, etc.
Good Directions = $5, rarely needed, but when in a strange place...
Bar Tender = $1 per drink

EDIT: Upscale coffee places (like even a Starbuck's) are similar to the Bar Tender, in that they have to do more than just poor a drink, there's some degree of prep involved, and that's why they have tip jars. Still, some counter restaurants do this too...and I only tip there if it's a place I frequent...(like Subway, etc.)

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Gazrok]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Well I fully appreciate that if you're visiting a foreign country then you should make an effort to follow the local customs, if I was in america and knew about the tipping thing then Id just go along with it to avoid the awkwardness.
But I would have thought the majority of foreigners that pass through hotels arent here on a long term basis, and so most wouldnt even be aware of the tipping thing. So I highly doubt that the act of not tipping someone is meant in a rude way, and so no real reason to get your knickers in a twist over it.

As for the hotels terms & conditions though, not once in my entire life have I ever seen or heard of guests being briefed beforehand on the terms & conditions, and various other niggly little details. Most Ive ever seen is a copy of the t&c's placed in the hotel room, and no one ever reads those.

Oh and no, her names Nicola.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I guess your right if its traditional, but i still think the idea of having to tip is stupid.That could be because we are used to such crappy service in the UK and feel that they dont derserve it.

Aww well she looked alot like a girl i know.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
When I went on a cruise I was highly offended that they gave us a packet that suggested who and how much I should tip. The list was extensive.

One person on the list was the head waiter at our dinner table. For a 3 day cruise we never saw him once yet i'm supposed to give this man a tip??

At the end of the cruise I gave a large tip to the guy who took care of our room because I felt he went out of his way to provide service above and beyond his job. I absolutely refuse to give tips for crappy service.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah there's "needier" people, but atleast the wait staff is actually doing work for it. Reward those who actually work, I think thats how capitalism was supposed to work

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eitimzevinten
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah there's "needier" people, but atleast the wait staff is actually doing work for it. Reward those who actually work, I think thats how capitalism was supposed to work

I do agree, and as others have said.... If someone does a great job or really makes me feel welcome, relaxed or whatever... then great, I may well tip.
But I'm not just going to tip someone for doing their job.

I'm not responsible for subsidizing someone's wages because their employer doesn't pay them enough.
Should I go around to every place of work that pays their staff the minimum wage and give all those people tips too?

As I said, here in the UK... Tipping is not a big thing, We have the minimum wage in place which was only changed last year (I think) for waiting staff. Before this, Tips could be used to make up the waiter/waitresses' wage to the national minimum wage.

I'm not saying people shouldn't tip and that I never tip... but I just don't tip all the time for everything... I'm not gonna tip someone for going through the motions and effectively doing their job.

In the US, It's obviously a big deal and perhaps the staff absolutely rely on tips..? Maybe something should be done in regards to the wages for these staff?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join