It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WV Coal Mine Explosion Should be Investigated as Possible Eco-Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Many do not realize that Massey Energy and its WV operations in Raliegh and Boone Counties have been the prime target in the US of anti coal environmentalist groups.

Just a few weeks before the tragedy several members of Climate Ground Zero attempted to make a citizens arrest on Don Blankenship CEO, Massey Energy Co.

Ground Zero Targets Blankenship

Although many direct actions have been taken against Masseys WVA facilites this recent action was the most extreme.

Feb 19, 2010....Three activists from the Climate Ground Zero campaign locked themselves down this morning at the main office of Marfork Coal Company, Inc. (subsidiary of Massey Energy Co.) in Pettus, WV with a citizen’s arrest warrant for the company’s top officials.

Another group Mountain Justice has also been active in the area. Mountain Justice is pro-union and progressive. Massey is non union and has been dogged over the last 18 months by EPA and eco-groups since going non union with a noted increase over the last 12 months.

Founded by poet, radical labor organizer and civil rights advocate Don West in 1965, the Appalachian South Folk honors a long tradition of struggle in the West Virginia coalfields. Mountain Justice held its first two Training Camps here, and some Mountain Justice members say they still dream of Pipestem.

Mountain Justice

History of Group Action World Wide and Against Massey-Whiel these groups have been somewhat peacefull if not forceful they are simply the "peaceful" wing of a movement that has demonstrated a good deal of violence in this country and world wide.

These actions are cleary part of a world wide network of activists. While not showing a great deal of violence toward coal in this country they have show a violent face in other parts of the world in areas where they have wider popular support. However in the US they seem to show more activity (Massey) around EPA actions as well as the recent change in adminstrations. Other eco groups in the US have been violent for some time however.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by Logarock]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Charleston, W.Va. (AP) -- Gov. Joe Manchin is asking a former top federal mine safety official to conduct an independent investigation of an explosion that killed 29 West Virginia miners.

Manchin told the Associated Press on Tuesday that J. Davitt McAteer will serve as his special adviser on issues involving the blast at Massey Energy's Upper Big Branch mine.

McAteer headed the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration during the Clinton administration.

His probe will be independent of separate investigations being done by state and federal officials.

UPDATE: Ex-Fed Official To Probe Fatal W.Va. Mine Blast

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The National Mining Association said in its own press release:

"Bankrupting the coal industry would be tantamount to bankrupting the American economy. Coal generates half of our nation's electricity, employs hundreds of thousands of Americans and provides millions of dollars in revenue to coal states... Destroying the coal industry would break America's energy backbone. It would raise the cost of energy for households and businesses throughout the country and create massive job losses. We trust the candidates understand this and do not believe that destroying the coal industry is part of the change we need."

Obama on Bankrupting the Coal Industry

whatever power plants are being built, they would have to meet the rigors of that market. And the ratcheted down caps that are imposed every year. So if somebody wants to build a coal-powered plant, they can. It's just that it will bankrupt them because they're going to be charged a huge sum for all that greenhouse gas that's being emitted. That will also generate billions of dollars that we can invest in solar, wind, biodiesel, and other alternative energy approaches.....

The fact is that under the guise of waiting for clean coal technology many would love to plunder coal and coal power in the mean time. He holds that these carbon pentalties would force the industry to aggressively seek the development of clean coal. But the truth is that clean coal provides an excuse for sacking the industry and using the money to develop coal powers competition which anyone that knows of power generation will tell you is a joke. Billions of consumer dollars via carbon fines will be dumped into rat holes.

Only nuclear power is a real alternative but Obama doesnt like that either. Wind, hydro or solar power are currently nothing but a transfer of wealth not only in terms of thier effect but in terms of sacking the coal and coal power industry to pay for it.

At anyrate it is the government that will be doing this taking from one industry and giving to another and we know how thats going to go. Amoung other things it will amount to decades of parasitic wealth transfer that the consumer will end up paying for in higher power costs. Clean coal or not, good intentions or ill, this reality cant be avoided.

"He was trying to throw a bone to the southern Illinois coal interests . . . and was surprised when people started saying, 'What the heck are you doing?' " said Frank O'Donnell, president of the environmental group Clean Air Watch. "That's a rookie mistake for a presidential candidate, to think you can get in the middle of a controversial issue and no one will notice."

Obama- Flip Flop History with Coal-Jobs-Climate-Alternatives

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Meanwhile, five protesters clad in surgical masks disrupted the hearing by throwing lumps of coal in front of the coal executives. "Coal is dirty. Coal will always be dirty," shouted one of the protesters, who were organized by Campus Progress, the youth wing of the Center for American Progress. The protestors left the room before Capitol Police officers arrived

Wing Nuts Toss Coal

Campus Progress Wing Nuts

Center for American Progress-More Wing Nuts

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The coal operators long term strategy is to drive people out or killing them off. That way they end up spending even less on mining and repairing the damage because fewer folks are left to monitor the destruction. Not to mention that the coal lobby will have fewer competitors when it comes to buying indulgences from entrenched politicians.

Ground Zero

Persons thinking like this could do anything.

When I first turned on the news and saw the accident...... I immediately thought about my comrades in the Energy Action Coalition who are fighting against that very same coal plant....

COMRADES

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Now we have another eco-tragedy involving an explosion ect ect so close to proposed sweeping legislation. Again wow what else could the administration ask for? Coal mine now a massive oil rig off the coast.

Earth to ATS!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way can anyone read this thread? Have had it up for several weeks without any responce at all.

CX

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Apologies logarock, seem to have missed this one recently.

I think terrorism will be one explanation they will of course be looking at, thats probably why they are sending the DHS and other security agencies down there. (In regards to the oil spill).

As for the mine accident, i'll take a better look at your info...thanks for posting it.

CX.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Very interesting. This is an angle I never even thought of in passing. I have to admit it is worth thinking about. No doubt it will be looked into as part of the investigation.

I cant wait to see what comes of the investigation. Nice thread

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Well, they are talking now on how the oil spill may affect the call by Obama for more drilling.

I did not read through all the links but one hell of a lot of info.

S&F on the work and great layout.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is an interesting angle; should be interesting to see the outcome of the investigation into the tragedy.

Thanks for the hard work.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I have friends that live down in WV coal country and this notion is definitely being talked about. These eco-terrorists will stop at nothing. Just study the tactics and the risks that are taken with the "whale warriors". I'm not suggesting that they are terrorists but I am sure the mindset is similar to the mindset of those who spike trees with the hopes of killing a logger.

Sorry I missed this post on its first leg. Hopefully, it will get the attention it deserves.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I have friends that live down in WV coal country and this notion is definitely being talked about.

Thats good to hear.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Logarock]

top topics

join