It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Chief: Space Agency Positioned to Grow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Um, I don't think the NASA got the memo....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/08a505b044da.jpg[/atsimg]
Article:

NASA chief Charles Bolden has sought to reassure his staff that the US space agency remains well positioned for the future despite the cancellation of a program to return Americans to the moon. The change of course away from former president George W. Bush's vision of manned space exploration comes at a time when NASA is about to retire its three space shuttles with no replacement in sight.

However, Bolden did not provide specifics on the creation of new jobs. The shuttle program's folding at the end of the year will lead to the loss of 9,000 jobs at the Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, Florida, of 14,000 that exist there today. Many of the jobs are with NASA contractors like Boeing

Source: newsmax.com...

I smell Male Bovine Feces-sorry but I just can't believe anything coming from the current administration. Seeing is believing with this crowd. First they were cancelling the moon projects now they are expanding in other unrelated areas. Not to mention the 1000's of people who will be losing their jobs.

I did find this comment interesting. Made me think of Black Triangle type stuff:

The new work assignments "represent a bold new approach to exploring space that will enable NASA to get beyond low-Earth orbit and create robust near-Earth space flight capabilities,"
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc2f97dab352.jpg[/atsimg]

Guess all we can do is to hope for the best....Prepare for the worst

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
ooh...a bold new era where we can go beyond low earth orbit...what a wonderful and magical time that may be.

I wonder whats beyond low earth orbit...I never thought I would see the day when we could overcome this great feat....maybe we can even one day go to the moon...

wait a minute...!!!!!

-stupid time shifts...now where the hell is australia!-

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Yes, a very odd comment-from where I see it. Seems to me they had Been there and Done that.

The aircraft in the OP is from 2004 era. As I said, you can't believe anything the administration says.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They had better start 'growing' toward inter-stellar colonization. The Kepler satellite should be finding Earth-like planets in the next couple years, or sooner.
Then NASA will have a public-supported objective target, and action direction. But, that objective won't be done with rocket technology. So, NASA had better start beefing up with true anti-gravity technology.

[edit on 4/10/2010 by Larryman]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I honestly wish NASA would downsize. With the removal of funding from the Constellation program it's difficult for me to believe that a government entity truly has the stomach to see a large program through to completion. To me, all NASA does is dispense funding to aerospace contractors (Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrupp Grumman, Orbital Scientific, Ball Aerospace, SpaceX, etc..) who do all of the real engineering work for whoever proposed the mission (university researchers, astronomers, etc.). Then when all the real work has been done, NASA slaps a big sticker on the spacecraft and takes all the credit for it. Of course being a government entity they convert a little bit of that money into red tape and further bureaucracy. We already have PLENTY of organizations that do the same exact thing in other fields (NSF and NIH are two that come to mind immediately). I'm fine with the agency serving as a facilitator for aerospace enterprises but I think it could do so on a GREATLY reduced staff and stop making promises to the public that it has no plans to accomplish. The American Taxpayer's dollars should be going to funding actual research/missions, not bureaucratic excess.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I wonder if they're going to try to develop a craft that could enter and exit LEO continuously, that'd be a hell of a ship.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Obama is about to release some top secret military technology that will change how we visit space forever and is the reason for cancelling the new rockets and the Shuttle. Bush almost spilled the beans but they were not ready just yet.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Hmm... Odd.

So either the black budget programs are about to go public, or they are straight up lying.

Tough call at this point... wasn't Obama going to have a space meeting or something soon?

And a good video for black projects is here:
Michael Schratt on Black Projects (Video)

Maybe we will be getting the newer, sleeker, more efficient electro-gravitic wing edges on our commercial airlines?!

Or maybe they are straight up lying.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think that this new NASA plan is not so different from Constellation, and is very sensible, IMHO. Main differences are:

- buying crew and cargo launches from private companies, instead of developing Ares I
- use saved money to develop important new technologies (fuel depots), extending ISS to 2020 and hopefully speed up the development of heavy launch vehicle (60-70 mt)

Nothing of this is confirmed yet, but we should soon get some more info about the future of NASA.
www.whitehouse.gov...

top topics

join