It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is What English Sounds Like To 75% Of The World

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Korg Trinity
Hahahah thats so funny

Not funny, merely a question as to where you got the impression that Heaven or Las Vegas was gibberish.

Those words do seem to fit but I promise you there was non sence there.

Well, I suppose if you "promise".

check this..
WIKI - Cocteau_Twins

Cocteau Twins were a Scottish alternative rock band active from 1979 to 1997, known for complex instrumentation and atmospheric, non-lyrical vocals.... *snip for space*

Wiki isn't the most credible source, and although I'm fully aware of the "non-lyrical" phases in their career your extended quote doesn't address Heaven or Las Vegas specifically.

And this straight from the horses mouth if you like..

Cocteau Twins - Official Website

"We have had people on the Internet who have written translations and they obviously have a natural talent for writing. Their interpretations are so beautiful that sometimes I have preferred what they have written to what I actually sang, it has been much more eloquent.

Again, not addressing Heaven or Las Vegas specifically.

and this... watch from 0:25...

Perhaps you should actually listen to your own source. From 3:50 ~ 4:12 they specifically discuss reverting back to actual lyrics on Heaven or Las Vegas.

Then there's this, straight from the horses mouth if you like..

cocteautwins.com

"What I've got to do is get honest, to stop doing what I was doing. Unfortunately, and this is typical of me, I tend to go from one extreme to the other. To go from an album like Blue Bell Knoll, which is so heavily disguised and removed from reality, to Heaven or Las Vegas, or even more to this one [Four-Calendar Café], where everything on it is in English and it's all audible...it is extreme, I think. But it seems important for me to do that."
(bolded by me)

That quote actually addresses Heaven or Las Vegas. While Blue Bell Knoll may have been "removed from reality", Heaven or Las Vegas is audible and in English.

So you see you can't just do a search on the internet and pull something a single page and make a point without knowing more of the subject you speak.

Good advice regarding the need to know more about a subject you choose to speak of. I hope you take it to heart in the future.

Peace out.

[edit on 4/7/10 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Dude ,
I dig it. ( I just posted this song on my one buddy's facebook wall. I think he will like it too :cool

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RadarMan

I'm the same, if a song sounds nice I listen to it, doesn't matter what's being sung or if I can understand the language. One of my friends keeps giving me songs to listen to, but won't let me listen to them until she's told me the life story of the artist and their reasons for writing the song, kinda puts me off wanting to listen to them in the end.
Then there's another friend who will only listen to music from 1 genre and nothing else, wheras I listen to anything from Classical stuff like Bach, Tcheikovsky, Handel, through T-Rex, Shakin Stevens, Britney Spears, Led Zepplin, Queen, S-Club juniors, Disturbed, Eminem, Iron Maiden etc.

Really liked those indian videos with the made up lyrics though, they were funny

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by firsttimecaller

The Adriano Celentano OP video is smashing. Love that guy. His tunes absolutely ROCK!

As for the video you came up with?

I've never laughed so hard over a video hereon ATS.
Dang but one star wasn't enough for your post.
'Who put the goat in there' just about made me spot.

Thanks for posting.

peace

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
I first heard this song during the early 80's but after research it was preformed at studio 54 and to this date no one understands the words if anyone can translate that would be nice it's a hybrid song disco/hip-hop.and it got a sik beat

www.youtube.com...

it kinda reminds me of Lead Singer of Queen Freddie Mercury's
rattling and noises it does in some parts sound like Freddie

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

this is hilarious and actually sounds like English but makes no sense but then much of english often doesn't....ha ha ha

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Hahahah thats so funny

Not funny, merely a question as to where you got the impression that Heaven or Las Vegas was gibberish.
[edit on 4/7/10 by redmage]

Ohh dear

So you are denying that Cocteau Twins used meta language??

Isn't that the point fo this thread?

and since you like to highlight single lines and spin it in a direction you feel I shall do the same...

From cocteautwins.com

Even as Blue Bell Knoll was highly produced and heavily effected, Heaven or Las Vegas is a step in an even more technological direction. The band have always relied heavily upon effects and other technology to enhance their music, but Heaven or Las Vegas clearly makes more extensive use of those technologies than ever before.

The songs give impressions about motherhood and the realities and stresses of day-to-day life, love, and work. As stated previously, many of the lyrics appear to be far more audible than had been possible for many years, although Liz more often than not lapsed into her characteristic obscure mumblings and vocalizations. Nevertheless, a few phrases here and there give enough away to get a feel for what's happening:

"Everyone seems to notice; Everyone says you favor me; I only want to love you..." ("Pitch the Baby")
"I'm seeming to be glad a lot; I'm happy again, caught in time..." ("Iceblink Luck")

"Maybe then you will swear this is hardly personal..." ("Heaven or Las Vegas")

"My dreams are all more basic and must be addressed, they're a young girl's dreams..." ("Fotzepolitic")

"And I feel all of it...I've pretended I flew away...; I feel perpetual, true blue and real..." ("Wolf in the Breast")

"So unblemished and natural as mother's daughter, today she'll follow road, river and rail..." ("Road, River, and Rail")

I've been a fan of Cocteau for 15 years... so for me this is not new... but obviously for you this seems so hard to believe.... Maybe you should read the rest of the thread before you try and trash my post about something which is 100% varifiable and factual... I have not added any of my personal feelings about the lyrics or the band..

Peace be with you,

Korg.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Korg Trinity]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
OMG!!

Let Russia and US nuke each other!
They are all Caucasians and Christians!
Caucasians and Christians OMG!! There are too many of them!!
Hey also lets pretend we are at war with non-Caucasians so we can have a pretext to BAN Caucasians and Christians and English speakers freedoms.

BTW English sounds stupid! BAN it!
Will make the work easier!

BAN Caucasians
BAN Christians
BAN English Language.
Just pretend the world is changing by itself! Hey people, just look the other way and pretend WE never had anything to do with this!! See? Even the climate is changing! It gets warmer! It's not a scam, it is true.. really..

Lets help every Underachieving, Clueless, Passive non-Caucasian, non English speaking, NWO supporting, regime out there!
Sending them money was not enough, outsourcing jobs and infrastructure was not enough, limiting freedoms to the West was not enough, we need more, more, more, more!

::THIS WAS A NON POLITICALLY CORRECT MESSAGE::
Brought to you by the freedom of information.
Think out of the box. Maybe you get you to survive after all, chances are slim, but hey!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by DigitalKid

The guy in that video is Prabhu Deva ( www.youtube.com... ) who is known for his dancing in India especially down South.

The Song is in Tamil ( en.wikipedia.org... & www.flickr.com... ). Heard of AR Rahman from Slumdog Millionaire? He is from Tamil Nadu who speak Tamil ( en.wikipedia.org... )

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Not at all; it was a staple of their early (pre-90s) albums. What part of "I'm fully aware of the 'non-lyrical' phases in their career" didn't you understand?

On the contrary, it is you that is in denial after your own youtube source, and a quote by Fraser herself, clearly state that Heaven or Las Vegas was largely a departure from their early-career use of "meta language".

and since you like to highlight single lines and spin it in a direction you feel I shall do the same...

There's no need for spin when your own youtube source, that you clearly didn't listen to, and Fraser herself back up the fact that Heaven or Las Vegas is a departure from the non-lyrical vocalizations found on early albums like Blue Bell Knoll. That said, Heaven or Las Vegas was a transitional album, and as I said in my original post; "I admit there may be a few errors in that particular lyric sheet, but overall it seems quite accurate, and the discrepancies could simply be from permutations in various performances (often songs are performed slightly altered over time).".

I've been a fan of Cocteau for 15 years... so for me this is not new... but obviously for you this seems so hard to believe....

The only thing hard to believe is that you prefer to trust your "promise" over the words of the artist herself.

Maybe you should read the rest of the thread before you try and trash my post about something which is 100% varifiable and factual... I have not added any of my personal feelings about the lyrics or the band..

I've read the thread. It regards how English sounds to "75%" of the world. If you wanted to use Cocteau Twins as a fitting example; citing their earlier work (pre-90s) would have been far more appropriate.

As to the rest of this claim, you have added personal feelings (a "promise", the notion that Heaven or Las Vegas is nonsense), and the verifiable fact is that the artist herself disagrees with your personal stance regarding the issue. Sorry, but when it comes to comments about an artist's own songs, I've gotta side with her words over yours.

Peace be with you,

~RM

[edit on 4/8/10 by redmage]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

[edit on 4/8/10 by redmage]

You sir are a Troll.

There is no point in arguing with you and have now added you to the ignore list.

Have a nice life.

Korg.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I have always wondered what it would be like to hear American English had it not been the only language i was taught. Nothing has made me laugh that hard in a while.
I have been visiting ATS for a while but this gave me the final inspiration to create an account. And for that i would like to thank you, and of course for sharing that video as well. classic

GummB

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by GypsK
One sentence I swear I hear every time (and sing out loud every time) "you can call me up in a prison in Tusson"

You know I had an argument with my friend over the lyrics to "Come as you are" - Nirvana.

The lyrics at the end are

"no I don't have a gun"

and my friend was singing "No and I won't ever come"

That said for years I thought Queens bohemian rhapsody had a line in it that went "A devil has a sideboard for me"

Peace Out,

Korg.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Video #1 was indeed quite old (late 70s or early 80s at the most). the "star" is Adriano Celentano (silo13 beat me to it!), Italian singer of that era.

Video #2, Benny Lava, was simply hilarious!!

Video #3, who's your dentist?
Seriously, wasn't this guy in Moonraker?

Video #4, yes baby, I would mustard your whatever

Video #5, now we're talking!! Great song!!

The two German songs from Eurovision Song Contests (I think they were submitted in successive years, around 1980) were huge hits in most of Europe at the time.

Where have you gone Ken Lee??? ROFL!!!

What about this one?

(let's hope the link works, it's my first attempt!)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
That's Adriano Celentano, probably Italy's most famous living rocker/singer. He's active since the late 50's, and was heavily influenced by Elvis. This song was purposedly made to mean nothing at all. After having released a few albums with social and ecological themes.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Maybe everyone in the world could learn sign language?

Now that is a fantastic idea.
I'm trying to remeber now the fantasy series where one of the characters is a spy, and the "guild" has it's own type of sing language...
David Eddings....?
oh, and orry for the late reply

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I agree on the op,
and a good laugh is one of the things most worth sharing.
I personally think Benny Lava kicks,
no-one can dance like Bollywood.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by bladebosq

Originally posted by firsttimecaller

LMFAO!!!! i cried watching that!!!! So funny!!!

EPIC!!!

But... if you just listen to the song, without looking at the lyrics you notice (at least i did) that it's kinda hard to hear what the author wrote in the lyrics...

Ahh The beauty of the power of suggestion...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Must...stop...listening...to the original post. Must...stop. Must...

Please help me somebody. I have been here with no food, water, or sleep pressing the replay button for three days. Slight exaggeration....but only slight.

I think that the lyrics hold the final clues to the resolutions of all higher mathematical conundrums posed by non-Cantorian set theory by inverting the classic inner models of Zermelo–Fraenkel theory and still producing a transitive class that includes every ordinal number. But I have to analyze the lyrics a few more dozen times to be absolutely sure.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeffdogg

We all have to laugh at our selves sometimes J-Dogg, or we'll all burn out.
We can't bescreaming about Alien/Jesus/Satan/NWO/GMO/911 Truth/ and the end of theF-ing world all the time.
Wise man once say, "what we need is more silly men".

Oh yeah, and it's very serious by the way, 'causse it proves music is the universal language, and a good beat combined with some tounge and cheek can make some peoples day that much more worth living.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by firsttimecaller]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join