It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama announce a Mars mission April 15th?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If you were listening to C2C on 4/4 you heard Richard C. Hoagland mention the "buzz" surrounding the April 15th press conference President Obama is to hold at Cape Canaveral concerning the future of NASA. Richard believes that this conference may be an announcement of a manned mission to Mars!

This is something i have wanted for a long time now, so I have decided to dig into it a little bit. From this article: Obama May Need Heat Shield at Space Summit

The administration announced this week that on April 15, President Barack Obama will journey to Florida, home to the fabled Cape Canaveral launch pads, for a space summit where he will try to sell Americans on his ideas for the space agency. Those ideas include abandoning plans to send astronauts to the moon and canceling a spaceship that NASA has already sunk billions into.

Obama also wants an extra $6 billion over the next five years to fund, among other things, developing the technology to send humans to Mars

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1bb94b7adaa9.jpg[/atsimg]

Senator Bill Nelson of Florida has emplored President Obama to go to mars:
Advice to Obama From Senator Bill Nelson

He sees the April 15 conference as the President's opportunity to clarify and amplify his position, for example by explcitly saying that human exploration of Mars is the goal, perhaps with intermediate stops along the way. He urges the President to:

"Stop listening just to the budget boys and OMB. Listen to the cries of an American people who once again want to be challenged and inspired, as President John F. Kennedy inspired the Nation and the Nation came together and did what was considered to be almost the impossible. It wasn't impossible. It was extraordinary, and it was an American achievement.."

On C2C, Richard went into the symbology of this being the 33rd mission, and other references to the number 33 and it's use by masons in their connection to NASA. Below you can hear his part of the show about the conference and numerology. Starts at about 10 min.

I can't tell you how much this would inspire a generation of children to reach out to the abyss of space. Not to mention inspire myself.

-E-

[edit on 6-4-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I wouldn't put it past him, if just to bring up his low approval ratings. It would be just about the only thing he could do that I would stand behind him on, even though the country is bankrupt and can't really afford it.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Oh man I sure hope I get to see a manned mission to Mars in my lifetime. Thanks for pointing this out, kinda doubt it but it's something to get excited about at least.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

I think this would be a big boost for his approval ratings, and if that is why he is is doing it, well thats fine with me! It would be a change to have something nice to say about our Prez.

reply to post by raustin

Your probably right, but in the mean time I will keep my fingers crossed!

-E-

[edit on 6-4-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Why? So they can lie to us about what they don't find when they get there? I wish I could say that would be exciting, but I've seen enough photo-shopped nasa pics to last me a while. No doubt there are amazing and wonderous things to be found, but the general public will be left in the dark anyway.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lambs to lions

No kidding! But maybe they will find a microbe up there, and people will suddenly realize the universe is teeming with life!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Honestly? Why even bother? According to Hogaland we're already their and have been for years. I really enjoy Richard but I have to ask. Why throw good money to what he calls a "cover up" program? It can't be both ways here.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Just wanted to add this:
Is A Human Space Flight Compromise Emerging?

Only a week and a half remain before the much-anticipated Space Summit at NASA KSC on 15 April. While no public mention has been made as to venue, agenda, participants, audience etc., there does seem to be a general consensus forming behind the scenes as to what sort of rethinking might be acceptable to all parties with regard to where NASA human spaceflight is going

-E-

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ikema
Honestly? Why even bother? According to Hogaland we're already their and have been for years. I really enjoy Richard but I have to ask. Why throw good money to what he calls a "cover up" program? It can't be both ways here.

I see your point. But either Hoagland has been wrong, or this is a part of a slow release of info. Either way would be a step foreword for our current understanding.

-E-

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Manned Mission to Mars would be a wonderful sight, better to be on the ship going there. I would back Cancelling the moon mission for mars, and im against Obama on all other issues. One other thing isnt the new spaceships the ones that were going to Mars?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Going to mars is a waste of money,time,and effort. The robotic mission give much better data than any man mission could give.

And anyway so a politician say we are going to mars then when he is out office another politician cans the venture. It's all a load of BS.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
"mr. president, the economy is failing, you've over taxed the workers, the national debt hasn't been scratched and all the money went to greedy men in other countries that want to kill us! A revolution is coming, and they want our heads!!!"

"to the shuttle! we'll be safe on Mars!"

[edit on 4/6/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

Nice! 100% approval rating on Mars!!

-E-

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
i don't see it happening. he scrapped the ares(or was it orion, they need to stop having some many damn names for all these rockets) program that was being designed for mars manned space missions. soooo now he's just gonna turn around and say " i scrapped this new rocket program and want you to take this money and start from scratch....again...." ? not likely in my estimation.

i'd be more inclined to believe this or even be hopefull of near future( 5-15 years) manned mars missions if he refunded the ares(orion?) program, or funds a new vehicle designed around that new engine one of the old moon astronauts is part of testing that'd get us to mars in just under 2 months.

i want to go to mars, to explore, colonize, study it close up and personal. i'd leave everything behind and do whatever training regimen they required of me if i could go in five or ten years. there are thousands if not millions of other people willing to do the same. if we don't get manned missions to mars before i die, i'll go to the grave having been sad every single day of my life.
i'd put forth that exploration and colonization of other bodies in our solar system is more important than anything happening anywhere on earth right now. it's time our "leaders" came to realize that and why it's so important.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

Well,it is typical of politicans to baffle and bedazzle the populace with pipe dreams.

We should really be expending the tax payers and citizens money to travel out in space?

ANYTHING that has to do with NASA is a money wasting venture.

They should change it's initials to MWR, Money Wasting Racket.

We already are "traveling through space".

Our space ship is called Earth and the engine that propels us through the cosmos is called the Sun.

Stop spending our money and resources on these frivolities and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Spend money rebuilding the infrastructure of the space ship we live on,that humans need to live comfortably.

Stop gazing at the stars and wishing you could go there,we are headed in that direction already.

Obama ain't the new Kennedy,he is Carter repackaged.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

So let me get this straight:

He cuts NASA's budget, cancels Constellation and ARES. Yet now he imagines this bold adventure to mars, when we haven't gotten back to the moon?

UHH I think this president needs mood stabilizers.

If we are going to mars, the Moon is first!

Obama makes no sense.....

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Going to mars is a waste of money,time,and effort. The robotic mission give much better data than any man mission could give.

And anyway so a politician say we are going to mars then when he is out office another politician cans the venture. It's all a load of BS.

Most of America would be against a manned mission like Mott here. I am, and will always be for a manned mission, as it is the only great thing we have left to do.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by MysterE

So let me get this straight:

He cuts NASA's budget, cancels Constellation and ARES. Yet now he imagines this bold adventure to mars, when we haven't gotten back to the moon?

UHH I think this president needs mood stabilizers.

If we are going to mars, the Moon is first!

Obama makes no sense.....

Well this isn't a sure thing yet, I'm just pointing out that there is rhetoric pointing to a possibility of a manned mars mission

-E-

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

exploring our solar system and maybe eventually the galaxy is not a frivolity. it's deathly important to the long term survival of our species. it's important to the expansion of technology. it's important to all of humanity for more resources. we can explore our solar system and repair our failing infrastructure at the same time. the only reason we aren't is because we're spending something like 200 billion dollars a month on the "wars" in afghanistan and iraq.

last year NASA received 17 billion dollars for all it's funding. if NASA were made more efficient, the bureaucracy at least lessened, and given say 50 billion a year with set goals they must meet every year, we'd make a crap ton more headway into exploration and technological progress.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal
reply to post by Oneolddude

last year NASA received 17 billion dollars for all it's funding. if NASA were made more efficient, the bureaucracy at least lessened, and given say 50 billion a year with set goals they must meet every year, we'd make a crap ton more headway into exploration and technological progress.

Completely Agree

-E-

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join