It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN particle accelerator off again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Today at 12 noon, an experiment is taking place to, I understand, find out the origins of the Universe - again - and make a black hole! All this is occurring on the East French border and notice that Sarkozy is in Washington today (?). The cost of this ridiculous project is enormous. What the hell is all this about, eh? More good money after bad, more waste, possibly dangerous, maybe NOT the reasons the media has put forward. Any thoughts?

mclinking

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by mclinking

Any thoughts?

Yes... you're a moron for thinking the LHC is dangerous. Too much Da Vinci code and science fiction may rot the brain.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by john124]

I think he meant intelligent thought.

Are you an expert in the field, or is that arrogance the result of a superiority issue?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

Any thoughts?

Yes... you're a moron for thinking the LHC is dangerous. Too much Da Vinci code and science fiction may rot the brain.

I think he meant intelligent thought.

Are you an expert in the field, or is that arrogance the result of a superiority issue?

I think most people who believe this is dangerous, do not really understand what the LHC is doing or capable of. It's not waste of money the results will hopefully bring us new information in Physics, as a side effect we will also find many uses for the science involved from the LHC, new technologies, that will advance mans path and knowledge. I for one think it's gonna be worth it

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Any thoughts?

Hmmm, respective words anyone?

Nobody on the whole World can say this not dangerous, sorry. They play arround with stuff they possibly don't understand or can imagine. It was the same with HARP. Playing on the Ionosphere can cause a collapse off the magnetosphere, and will be Baked in Microsecond.

SURE - THE DAMN LHC (100 Miles away from my location) IS PRETTY DANGEROUS.

They try to find out "The big bang" story, but what if there was never a big bang? What if the whole theories are wrong? Playing god in the name of science? - An old good known story, sorry.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by cushycrux]

[edit on 30-3-2010 by cushycrux]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Certain things we will never understand because we are simply too stupid. But on the way, our own arrogant stupidity can possibly bring the Universe to a collapse. - highly probable

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

cushycrux- you hit the nail on the head right there!

The problem with CERN is that theyr so busy trying to unlock the mysteries of the universe, they dont realise we have so many mysteries closer to home we could unlock first, and i dont care who you are micro-singularities are still black holes and no amount of money and technology is going to be able to hold the most destructive force we know of in the cosmos, mans arrogance will be the end of us all.

[edit on 30-3-2010 by THEsmokefrog]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

But on the way, our own arrogant stupidity can possibly bring the Universe to a collapse. - highly probable

If imploding stars that rip the fabric of space-time haven't collapsed the universe, we wouldn't stand a chance even if we try.

In the 1800's some thought 25mph on a train was too fast for a human body to maintain itself in one piece.

With all of the collisions between galaxies going on long before we existed, I think we can safely say that our sub-atomic collisions in the LHC will NOT end the universe. It's laughable to think that it would.

The benefits to humanity of discovering how the first sub-atomic particle s came into existence will be as profound as the discovery of the atom itself, and all of the technological and scientific achievements made because of those discoveries. There will always be those who fear advancement, and sometimes others will be sick of listening to those complaining who use emotional responses rather than logic to make their assertions.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by THEsmokefrog

The problem with CERN is that theyr so busy trying to unlock the mysteries of the universe, they dont realise we have so many mysteries closer to home we could unlock first,

Sorry, you can't get a bigger and more important mystery than the mysteries of why particles acquire mass, and subsequent origins. We have mass, and everything around you (including the Earth) has mass.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Thank you from a sensible person! Those who stupidly believe that this project is going to do anyone anywhere any favours, then they believe a lie, a deception, another scam, more bucks going into the overfed guts of guzzling experts. The bigger stuff is down here, the bigger is the lie. Sure, they tell you what they are doing, like NASA, but the REAL reason is never told. Well, I just hope it's going to come out and I'm sure someone somewhere will find it. I know many people in the UK who ain't happy about this stuff, these amateur tinkerers. So think about that, St George!

mclinking

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mclinking
What the hell is all this about, eh? More good money after bad, more waste, possibly dangerous, maybe NOT the reasons the media has put forward. Any thoughts?

mclinking

Yeah... I mean pumping billion after billion into illegal and completely pointless wars is fine.... But trying to find out and understand the building blocks of the universe and searching for how we came into being... well that's just a waste of money right?

With a budget of £5.6 billion as of Jan 2010..... and that is a joint budget too...
I'd say the LHC looks great value....

As opposed to the estimate £400-800 billion spent by the US alone, on war... since 2001.

So yeah....

[edit on 30/3/10 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Thank you from a sensible person! Those who stupidly believe that this project is going to do anyone anywhere any favours,

Apart from help us understand how each atom that you comprise of has its mass. And provide more answers to deepen our understanding of the universe's origins.

Some people complain that science doesn't have all of the answers, yet some will complain when science is looking for the answers.

then they believe a lie, a deception, another scam, more bucks going into the overfed guts of guzzling experts.

It's funny how people will find a conspiracy absolutely anywhere they look. It's not surprising that conspiracy theorists get a bad reputation.

Compared to the wars and bailing out the banks, the LHC is a bargain.

The bigger stuff is down here, the bigger is the lie. Sure, they tell you what they are doing, like NASA, but the REAL reason is never told.

And what is the real purpose then? We've build less poweful particle accelerators before, and the LHC is obviously a particle accelerator. So, why are they colliding particles if they aren't investigating what happens during these collisions?

Do you just lump everything together that you don't understand as a conspiracy against you?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The thing I don't understand is all of these people, who lack a background in physics mind you, claim that these scientists, who have spent their life devoted to studying and understanding physics, don't know what they're doing. So, please tell all of us in here what makes you privy to information that the people whose lives are devoted to the LHC don't have?

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

The thing I don't understand is all of these people, who lack a background in physics mind you, claim that these scientists, who have spent their life devoted to studying and understanding physics, don't know what they're doing. So, please tell all of us in here what makes you privy to information that the people whose lives are devoted to the LHC don't have?

I couldn't agree more with what you just said.

I don't know why people are so closed minded sometimes.

The whole reason for why we have survived this long is because we have adapted and learnt new things along the way. Progress walk hand in hand with humankind.

If we don't learn anything new we will stagnate.

What we learn from these experiments will probably go a long way to improve space flight and colonise other planets for future human survival, but thats another story.

Sorry i'm ranting again.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

seriously dude, do you think that putting a black hole on a planet is a good idea, whatever the reason. im not going back and for on this, yes its all well and good research for humanity, but the time, effort and money could all be going somehwere better, im all for discovering the secrets of the universe (even being a lowly peon in a society il never make a difference in) but u simply cannot say with 100% certainty that there WILL not be consequences for man's attempts to control forces essentially beyond control, i dont care if the leading project scientist is the love child of stephen hawking, robert durak AND albert einstein, there is only a finite number of things we can test and probe and create before we reach a point there is no coming back from. Personally i would rather see the worlds economies fixed or hell even try and work out a way to solve world hunger or a real alternative to oil thats feasable, the point being is that there are so many other things that the worlds leading minds could put that talent to good use on, yet here we all are talking about yet another machine that has the "potential" (notice i did not guarantee it) to be a massive disaster, sorry but in a world full of evils playing with black holes isnt going to solve anything for the majority of us.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Right on!
That's what I meant, but you said it better. People forget that last year was one of deep recession, but not for subsidizing crappy projects like this which us taxpayers did. We pay for all their freaky stuff, such as the trillions of $ on telescopes, satellite stuff monitoring an object that - they say - doesn't exist. We pay Green taxes for that from, yes the proven global warming scam. I read that the British waste 3 billion+ $ on food which is just thrown away. In fact, the list is endless.

mclinking

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

do you think that putting a black hole on a planet is a good idea

Miniature black holes are nothing like black holes caused by collapsing stars. It's just a name, like the "god particle".

would rather see the worlds economies fixed

Well it's not your money to spend. You can begin by not thinking you have the right to tell investors what they can or cannot spend their money on.

Trillions has been spent bailing out economies, so what is a few more billion anyway!

or hell even try and work out a way to solve world hunger or a real alternative to oil thats feasable,

You simply don't get it do you! If we understand how matter gets mass and how it's formed, we can probably eventually learn to do almost anything that you can imagine that can solve any number of problems for everyone. The human race needs to advance otherwise stagnation will lead to worse outcomes than starvation in the third world.

Or we could plough this several billion spent on the LHC into the pockets of corrupt African leaders that gets spent on lavish lifestyles and wars. But now that would be silly, wouldn't it.

The same arguments were made for the space programme in the 60's and 70's, and modern day electronics only exist because of investment in those days. Those worn out arguments are wrong and are wrong today because if you pay any attention - hydrogen fuel cells have been invented and scientists are working on fusion reactor substitutes for fission power stations. How would the billions spent on the the LHC help to force people to replace their gas-guzzlers with hydrogen cars?

If you feel the world doesn't give enough to starving children, then why don't you first of all begin by selling all of your assets, and then donate the money to a charity. Then I will sympathise with you, for then you'd actually not a hypocrite trying to tell others to give all of their own money away.

yet another machine that has the "potential" (notice i did not guarantee it) to be a massive disaster,

The only people who are claiming it to be a potential disaster are lunatics, and most importantly aren't even physicists in this field. It's like listening to your postman telling you that your microwave will kill you (even though experts say otherwise), and then getting into a fuss over it whilst sitting outside in the sun to get a dose of UV radiation.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

People forget that last year was one of deep recession

Money would have been allocated before the financial crisis. All of the bailout and stimulus money in the US would have probably put men & women on Mars. Money spent on science is fairly low in comparison to other budgets such as military. Even the NASA budget is small in comparison to military and even the "black budget" on its own.

. We pay for all their freaky stuff, such as the trillions of $ on telescopes

Ummm, have you read why we build telescopes? Perhaps you need to understand just why these are an important part of Astrophysics and are definitely not "freaky". Spending money on organisations that worship an invisible being is closer to being "freaky".

Fortunately you're not in control of spending on these important issues.

I read that the British waste 3 billion+ $ on food which is just thrown away

And has nothing to do with the LHC....

Is the govt. supposed to ban people from being wasteful inside their own homes?!

We could just cut all spending on churches, now that would be a nice saving.

posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

john, i love you man, i will seriously add you as a friend, but its not I that doesnt get it, part of your epic war against common sense i just read through described micro-singularities as "not really black holes" just a term to describe such trivial and un-consequential forces as the "god particles", at that point i will admit i started skimming a tad, but its got to be said i never once mentioned that i was in control of these budgets and ever hoped of being able to put the funding where i saw fit. But lets be honest here, u simply cannot justify your points just because you dont like a truth you just heard, yes science has done wonderful (but also terrible u gotta admit) things for humanity, but there is a point where you have to stop and think, if modern science atually found pandora's box, would they leave it closed?
Also note for future reference if you want new power sources stop poking black holes and try looking up nikola tesla or something, there are MANY area's and people you can look into to prove this, the man was a GENIUS for pete's sake!
peace

[edit on 30-3-2010 by THEsmokefrog]

top topics

join