It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Frum Admits Republicans Work For Fox News!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It all start 3 days ago when former Bush Speech writer and Conservative talking head David Frum Called tyhe passage of Health care reform the GOP's "Waterloo"'. That lead to the immediate firing from his $100,000/year job at the American Enterprise Institute, where he’d been since 2003.

Then in an interview with ABC Nightline's Terry Moran, Frum made the assertion that "nobody ever won an election by spitting at his political opponents" and that "anger trapped the [Republican] leadership."

But it was this exchange, which you can see starting at the 2:20 mark, that is generating some buzz today:

Moran: "It sounds like you're saying that the Glenn Becks, the Rush Limbaughs, hijacked the Republican party and drove it to a defeat?"

Frum: "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we're discovering we work for Fox. And this balance here has been completely reversed. The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican party."

you can see it at Media Matters: mediamatters.org...
\

or

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
So what the democrats work for CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, CNN Headline plus virtually every major newspaper. Can't the Republicans have at least one outlet or are you for a one party system like in Cuba. Seems to me that one little measly channel is surely ok with you.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mrmerak

Good lord, you still don't know any better than what you are saying? That's just more Rush Limbaugh crap you're spouting. The media is owned by rich corporatists and almost all of them tend to be republicans. This idea that the MSM are all left was just a fox tactic to give you a reason to believe their lies when every single other news outlet were telling you different.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
reply to post by Mrmerak

Good lord, you still don't know any better than what you are saying? That's just more Rush Limbaugh crap you're spouting. The media is owned by rich corporatists and almost all of them tend to be republicans. This idea that the MSM are all left was just a fox tactic to give you a reason to believe their lies when every single other news outlet were telling you different.

im with you on this.

this is why you cant trust anything you hear on fox. now some people may say things that you agree with occasionally, but they are headed a direction you have no idea about.

i would say the same about the other stations though.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

Frum: "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we're discovering we work for Fox. And this balance here has been completely reversed. The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican party."

What he meant to say:

Frum: "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we're discovering we work for the American public that watches Fox. And this balance here has been completely reversed. The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican party."

Personally I think this is actually a good thing.

Fox does not dictate public opinion.

Fox puts on pundits and talk show hosts that reflect what people want to hear.

The people are pissed off at the rampant fascism of government. Fox is capitalizing on that anger, they aren't creating it.

He's got the cause and effect reversed.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I don't think he's talking about whether or not Fox is a conservative news channel. I think he's talking about something more interesting to do with the relationship between the media and politics.

Fox news is pretty clearly identified as being Republican. People also tend to identify Fox news with the Republic party, and the position expressed by Fox is often thought to be "the Republicans'" position. I think the issue here is whether or not that's true. Does Fox report and argue in favor the position taken by the Republican party? Or does Fox argue for its own position which people then interpret as the Republican party's? And if it's the latter case, what are the actual Republican politicians to do? Do they align themselves with the Fox position because they know that Fox is a powerful media tool/weapon, and it's good to be on their side? Or do they reject the Fox position in favor of their own real beliefs, even though Fox is the most powerful of a small number of allies they have in the MSM?

It sounds like Frum believes that the tail is wagging the dog.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Bullocks. First off, people watch Fox because of the extremism...the same reason people watch a action flick...its for the sensationalism over reality.

If your catering towards sensationalism, your catering towards extremes. Fox gets about 6 million viewers a day. Great...if you have a party catering towards 6 million viewers...then you know what that party is? extinct.
Fox news is in the business of ratings. They have long ago dropped impartiality in favor of a extreme narrative. To be fair, MSNBC is the same, just on the other side of the scale. CNN attempts to be centerist and factual, but even they fall prey to ratings quests..however, if your going to try and actually find out facts without a slant, you use CNN over the other two. Also why their network is not in first place..because people dont want boring facts...they want explosions and entertainment.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
reply to post by Mrmerak

And your statements are based solely on what - your opinion. So what? Carries no factual weight.

Speaking of facts, and if you're interested in them at all, check out this article. BTW, there are many more like it.

article

Part One: What Journalists Think
Surveys over the past 30 years have consistently found that journalists — especially those at the highest ranks of their profession — are much more liberal than rest of America. They are more likely to vote liberal, more likely to describe themselves as liberal, and more likely to agree with the liberal position on policy matters than members of the general public.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Sorry Centurion but your "facts" are from a conservative outlet not a neutral organization. From their own website, Media Research Center, www.mrc.org...

The mission of the Media Research Center, "America's Media Watchdog," is to bring balance to the news media. Leaders of America's conservative movement have long believed that within the national news media a strident liberal bias existed that influenced the public's understanding of critical issues. On October 1, 1987, a group of young determined conservatives set out to not only prove — through sound scientific research — that liberal bias in the media does exist and undermines traditional American values, but also to neutralize its impact on the American political scene. What they launched that fall is the now acclaimed — Media Research Center (MRC).
Emphasis added by me so it really stands out clearly!
So in their own mission statement they admit to being political operatives out to undermine anything they deem to be liberal bias in the media.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I also said there were many others.

So, let's take a look at another one, "Discover the Truth - a Guide to the Political Left" for fairness purposes.

article

Most members of the media steadfastly deny the presence of left ideology in their profession. In the words of former CNN and CBS reporter Deborah Potter (as reported in The Boston Globe, January 17, 2002), "I have yet to see a body of evidence that suggests the reporting that gets on the air reflects any political bias." They imply that charges of media distortion are manifestations of conservative paranoia. But it is not exclusively conservatives who are concerned about changes in news covereage. In 2002, 60 Minutes commentator Andy Rooney said on CNN's Larry King Live: "There is just no question that I, among others, have a liberal bias. I mean, I'm consistently liberal in my opinions. And I think some of the, I think Dan [Rather] is transparently liberal. Now, he may not like to hear me say that. I always agree with him, too, but I think he should be more careful." Earlier, Newsweek Washington Bureau Chief Evan Thomas stated on Inside Washington, "There is a liberal bias. It's demonstrable. You look at some statistics. About 85 percent of the reporters who cover the White House vote Democratic, they have for a long time. There is a, particularly at the networks, at the lower levels, among the editors and the so-called infrastructure, there is a liberal bias."

There you have it, liberal journalists admitting their liberal bias.

These are actual quotes, so you can't blame the website.

Game, set, match ...

[edit on 3/26/2010 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

What he meant to say:

Frum: "Republicans originally thought that Fox worked for us and now we're discovering we work for the American public that watches Fox. And this balance here has been completely reversed. The thing that sustains a strong Fox network is the thing that undermines a strong Republican party."

Personally I think this is actually a good thing.

The people are pissed off at the rampant fascism of government. Fox is capitalizing on that anger, they aren't creating it.

He's got the cause and effect reversed.

Three dollar bill you turned out to be

Certainly Fox dictates public opinion

Everyday Fox is regurgitated here, EVERYDAY

The rampant Fascist government was sanctioned and explained away for eight years
by Fox.

At least David is honest, surely he TANKED his career for the hell of it

Dave was like "fo*K it, I'm going ruin my career just to say something that is detrimental to my core beliefs"

Just like the wars, they manipulate you and manipulate you, Adolph could have forged
victory working with the lot of you.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

You have brought up the question. Who will follow who? Fox is in it just for the ratings which equals money. If republicans politicians continue to follow Fox's lead, Fox will drive that bus off a cliff in the name of great TV. However, if republicans try to buck them, Fox will have their viewers burn them down. That is what you get when you allow your body guards run things, and then try to assert authority again. I predict republicans will continue letting Fox dictate their positions.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I think we can all agree that the media control (from the left and the right) is a problem, which is why many of us come to ATS and other non-mainstream sources for additional (not all) information on the issues.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
reply to post by OnceReturned

You have brought up the question. Who will follow who? Fox is in it just for the ratings which equals money. If republicans politicians continue to follow Fox's lead, Fox will drive that bus off a cliff in the name of great TV. However, if republicans try to buck them, Fox will have their viewers burn them down. That is what you get when you allow your body guards run things, and then try to assert authority again. I predict republicans will continue letting Fox dictate their positions.

Exactly

Fox has the remote -

S for you

perfectly distilled

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

What he meant to say:

Don't try and speak for someone of his education. I am sure Frum said EXACTLY what he meant to say. He said it that way because it's not just republican politicians, but also a vast amount of American people let Fox tell them what to think.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by 12GaugePermissionSlip]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

Fox is capitalizing on that anger, they aren't creating it.

What?

They have been an important part of the military industrial complex brainwashing scheme since day one!

They lied to you that Saddam Hussain was behind 911 by endlessly repeating the words & propaganda of their neocon master as Casus Belli to go to war.

They have manipulated your emotions, fueled the fires of hatred, brainwashed your children, and helped to create hundreds of thousands of non-thinking warmongers during the early Imperial war in the Middle East.

I understand that some people are angry, but trust me! FOX NEWS is not the solution.

I had FOX NEWS from my cable provider here in Europe for some time before they cancelled - I was just astonished and blown away by all the indoctrination and brainwashing, and how they reported world news during the IRAQ war and the second election of GWB!

Some friends of mine used to get together in my home to drink some beer and laugh our butts off when Bill O'Reilly & Hannity and the rest of the news crew were lying through their teeth - it was just hilarious!

But also very sad! and we felt really bad for all our American friends who had to endure all this propaganda & indoctrination/brainwashing agenda.

I especially loved their brainwashing technique of always repeating certain buzzwords and WarOnTerra propaganda over and over and over again - from an outside perspective this was always hilarious to watch & hear because it was so damn ridiculous & obvious.

Not that our MSM is much better and there could be some hidden brainwashing occuring in many cases of the reporting as well, but yours are truly brainwashing and manipulating you openly into believing stuff which is not always correct.

And now they do it in a even more obvious & proactive way! - and people seem to swallow every word these MSM clowns are telling you to think!

Most people in the world are seriously wondering what is going on with you guys? - how on Earth can you listen to a clown like Glenn Beck and letting him do the thinking for you with incorrect facts and manipulation of your emotions?

All our MSM worldwide is crap! but the Anglo-Saxon way of manipulating stupidity is quite astonishing!

No seriously! turn off your TV! the corporations are brainwashing you!

This is not about the Left/Liberal or Right slanted media anymore - it's the corporate media and the sphere of influence of the elite's military industrial complex that is brainwashing you!

Guys, would it offend you very much if we in the rest of the world don't swallow the lies & propaganda from FOX?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The fact is there is no such thing as an un-biased news outlet. I worked with an international news service - I know. If you agree with a news outlet's views it will reflect what you think and you will agree with its point of view. I like Fox because all the rest of the main stream media are liberal and I am not a liberal I am a conservative. If you don't like Fox you are a liberal. Simple and not complicated. If you cannot stand a little competition then go to a place that does not allow for any competition.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

Three dollar bill you turned out to be

Certainly Fox dictates public opinion

Everyday Fox is regurgitated here, EVERYDAY

The rampant Fascist government was sanctioned and explained away for eight years
by Fox.

At least David is honest, surely he TANKED his career for the hell of it

Dave was like "fo*K it, I'm going ruin my career just to say something that is detrimental to my core beliefs"

Just like the wars, they manipulate you and manipulate you, Adolph could have forged
victory working with the lot of you.

OK

So if Fox dictates public opinion, the same must be true of MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, and Comedy Central.

So - one station that's right wing vs. six stations that are left wing.

So who's dictating public opinion again?

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mrmerak
The fact is there is no such thing as an un-biased news outlet. I worked with an international news service - I know. If you agree with a news outlet's views it will reflect what you think and you will agree with its point of view. I like Fox because all the rest of the main stream media are liberal and I am not a liberal I am a conservative. If you don't like Fox you are a liberal. Simple and not complicated. If you cannot stand a little competition then go to a place that does not allow for any
competition.

Wow that's a bit strong. Just because I don't like Fox does NOT automatically make me liberal. Over and over again this is where the Republican party fails. There can be no discussion, no differentiation, no opinion other than the standard. Everything from where you buy your groceries to what news you watch is party line. This is why Republicans are losing there base to liberaterians like Ron Paul, and why the tea party group came about, which the Republicans are trying to annex back in. The people do not want extremesim they want a dialouge. The days of getting people to vote on one issue such as abortion or gay rights are fading fast. This is obvious and the Republicans have no answer for it.

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Okay to coalesce the argument.

Fox brainwashes the viewers and politicians.

All the other stations in regards to their viewers and politicians do not.

Got ya.

Good argument. Now, let me see if I got this right.

Fox has this all powerful mind beam ray that they use.

Any corraborating evidence besides hearsay.

I want video. I want scientific papers NOT from Gore.

Show me the mind control ray, or I won't believe you.

[edit on 3/26/2010 by endisnighe]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join