It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents Angry Over CCTV In School Toilets

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
In the UK you see so many times when parents are not aloud to film or take photo's at school plays, sports event.

There was a case of a child who was going to be tested in a musical recital, to see if she was eligable for a place at a music school. Only the child, child parents, music teacher, deputy head and the person from the music school was going to be in the hall.

One of the childs parents wanted to capture the moment on film, but was told its not allowed. The parent complained and was told that if he did not agree with it, he would not be allowed to stay.

The reason given was to protect the childs rights. The father later went to court stating some of the school grounds. Inside and out were CCTV'ed, but he was not allowed to take photos of his own child.

The case was thrown out as the goverment could not dictate the school rules to the school.

So schools can film your children, but you cant..now CCTV in the toilets...

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
reply to post by Merriman Weir

To be fair, my tax dollars are paying for all the funding that the schools are supposedly getting, I should be able to pop in any time I like (albeit I would respect testing) and see what my child is learning.

Maybe so, but as the parent of Billy Joe Jim Bob in your child's class, I don't know you from Adam and I'm not too keen on the idea of an adult I don't know suddenly appearing in my child's classroom whilst I'm at work.

Your "tax dollars" also go towards your prisons too. Do you want to drop in on those too?

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
any time you disrobe in public you run risk of being filmed they have whole underground websites devoteted to filming peolpe in public restrooms lockerooms and the like so be forewarned and yes a school doing it is crazy.tho

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
My philosophy of parents in education....

Parents. You were your child's first teacher, you are the most important teacher your child will ever have. You are a critical part of your child's education, and that doesn't stop simply because your child begins school.

The schools provide a SERVICE to the child, and to the parent. That means schools must answer to the parents. If the school is doing something you don't understand or agree with, then they must explain their reasoning to you.

Schools have an obligation to teach your child and keep him/her safe. As a parent, you have the right to "drop in" on your child throughout the school day to see exactly what's going on. If you plan on volunteering in the classroom, prior notice would be nice so that the teacher can have activities for you to help with; however, just a quick drop in does not require prior notice. Same philosophy for child daycare. I want to be able to see what's going on in my child's daycare whenever I want.

Dropping in on the schools does not give you the right to disrupt the classroom. It can be handled in such a manner to minimize disruptions.

That's how it is in my school. Granted, all schools are different, but in my opinion (and its just my opinion, really) this is how government institutions should run.

As for not being able to take photographs of your children in school.....that's insane. And just plain wrong.

Hopefully things don't deteriorate to that point here in the states.....

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

You, as an educator are just a middle man, unwittingly providing a fertile field for government and corporations to sew their seeds of destruction. Forgive me, but I feel that teachers such as yourself, no matter your passion, integrity, good intentions etc.. have been educated by that same system. Like you said, unfortunately there are parents out there who just need someone to blame. They always cop out on the teacher even tho they know their kids a little brat. Couldn't we fix this crappy attitude by educating our children differently. Maybe giving them room to make mistakes on their own and punish them accordingly?

I have been educated by the public school system. I'm also a product of private schools, colleges, and universities from two different countries. (I hold degrees from the US and England).

I also consider myself to be a critical thinker, and that's certainly not something the schools are emphasizing right now. I do my best to address this issue in the classroom....but you are right. I am just a middleman, and my own impact is limited. Still, I do like to think I make some difference.

Your last sentence above is perfect. Children learn through experience. Which means, like it or not, they have to make bad decisions and face the implications of those decisions in order to learn. What schools should do is turn the bad decisions into learning opportunities....but that's a difficult stance to take in today's litigatious age.

About teachers on ATS.....I guess it might be something of a shock. Just goes to show you....paranoids are everywhere....

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
If my school did that and wouldn't take them down, I don't know what I would do....

posted on Mar, 13 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

This is truly sick; it is idiotic to do this kind of things just because of bullying or for taking drugs.
Instead of invading someone’s privacy why don’t they just make each bathroom separate?
E.G. Instead of making one large bathroom with 3-4 toilets and sinks just make each bathroom separate, and have a person near the bathrooms just to monitor so only one person may enter at a time to each bathroom? Or they can put cameras in front of the bathroom doors and monitor in that way?
That way since there is only one toilet in each room no more than one person can enter and the kids can’t make up any excuses why they want to enter together, also it would help if the bathrooms are very small with only a sink and a toilet and room for one person kind of like airplane bathrooms.

I don’t know if anyone would agree with me, but I think that it should be so in every place for many reasons.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join