It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic School Rejects Child Because Of Lesbian Parents

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Catholic School Rejects Child Because Of Lesbian Parents

www.thedenverchannel.com

BOULDER, Colo. -- A preschooler is caught in the middle of a fight between religion and sexuality. Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School, in Boulder, has refused to readmit a preschooler because the child has two moms. Her parents are lesbians.

"God and Jesus would not allow discrimination in that way," said Joellen Raderstorf, one of about two dozen demonstrators who turned out at Sunday's church service.

Most of the protesters stood silently, across the street, holding signs. One read "God loves all people."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Stories like this give me hope for Christianity. People need to learn some tolerance, and realize that just because you don't understand something doesn't mean you should be afraid of it, or that it's wrong.

Then my hope is crushed...

"To preserve the mission of our schools, and to respect the faith of wider Catholic community, we expect all families who enroll students to live in accord with Catholic teaching. Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment."

www.thedenverchannel.com

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
As a private school they can make whatever rules they want.

Of course 2 lesbians wanting to send "their" daughter to that school didn't have any agenda behind it, I mean it's not like they KNEW there would be trouble.

I call shennanigans.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I think it's morally wrong, however on the other side of the coin, they are a religious school, privately funded and get to make their own rules.

It sucks for the child as he is an innocent victim in all of this, but it makes me wonder what those parents thought would happen?

It's no secret that me and my husband raised children and had some difficulty because we were gay, but I would NEVER consider putting my children in a private, religious school.

Your just begging for a problem then.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

It's no secret that me and my husband raised children and had some difficulty because we were gay, but I would NEVER consider putting my children in a private, religious school.

Wait... your gay? I mean no offense by this, I'm just not sure if I read that wrong.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
How can the Cath. church stand against immorality when they hide and condone pediphile priests? We had a priest in our neighborhood when I was a kid who kept being sent to different parishes because of that. Everyone knew...people reported it and nothing happened.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yup, been married almost twenty years and have 4 beautiful children with my husband.

No offense at all

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is just a little taste of what's coming. As the economy crashes people are becoming more dependent on religious charities. That's exactly what they want. Little by little, the religious organizations will gain control of every aspect of your life, first food, then shelter, next it will be employment. Then they will start to impose their conditions. Those conditions will be "judgements" on you. That's why the dominionists call this the "Age of Judgement" and they plan to be in the global drivers seat.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Have you seen the prices for private religious schools? I'd hardly call it charity O.o. I think my parents pay like 5 or 6k a year for my sister to attend the private Catholic school she has been attending for like 4 years so far.

But I agree with several of the above posters, this is a privately funded school, not to mention a religious school, so they have the right to deny anyone from attending. I think everyone deserves a high caliber education, though, despite where and what they come from ^_^.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

"To preserve the mission of our schools, and to respect the faith of wider Catholic community, we expect all families who enroll students to live in accord with Catholic teaching. Parents living in open discord with Catholic teaching in areas of faith and morals unfortunately choose by their actions to disqualify their children from enrollment."

www.thedenverchannel.com

I wonder how many of those kids at that school have parents who were divorced at least once?

Hey, what's good for the goose right?

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
As a private school they can make whatever rules they want.

Of course 2 lesbians wanting to send "their" daughter to that school didn't have any agenda behind it, I mean it's not like they KNEW there would be trouble.

I call shennanigans.

Again. I wonder how many of those children come from divorced parents? I would like to know. Because, they should also be banned.

How many of those parents have oral sex? Have masterbated? Eaten shellfish? Etc., Etc.

Why is it that the so called "Christians" are the most bigoted?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This would all be solved if that school had learned and or taught biology, am I right!?!? (lolevolution).

Anyways, I don't know WHY people would even want their kids to be enrolled in a christian / religious school in the first place. Hell, every christian could probably call another christian out on breaking whatever rule that was hidden away in the bible and whatnot. Maybe I'm the only one here that just laughs at these situations

[edit on 8-3-2010 by Whyhi]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I think I just found my new signature. Thank you for this.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

I can see what you are saying about not wanting to send a kid to a Christian school. But despite the obvious religious teachings they will receive, some private schools have a FANTASTIC curriculum. Like I said in a previous post, my sister in going to a Catholic high school (my family is Catholic though I do not choose any religion) and the school has such a head start on public schools. I went to a public school and I would sit through all the religious drivel just to have gotten the education she is getting. Not to mention the students get much more attention.

I wish everyone could get an education like hers. I feel sorry for the kid that can't get into the school.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I had to read the article a couple of times before I could come up with an opinion. If you read the first paragraph or so it states the word (readmited). That shows me a red flag. There may be alittle more to the story that the article tells. My children attended catholic school til 8th grade. I remember when I went to enroll my first child in pre3, there was an issue about whether the school had enough room left for anymore students. After 3 month and new incounters with other members of the church, I was informed that there was in fact room for my son.
My point is (and I believe this to this day) They wanted to check us out. See what our family was like and if we were truly commited to the parish.
I may be way off here, but I just wonder if someone in the parish (possibly someone who is a large contributor) got wind of the family dianamics and got their undies in a bunch.
Since the time my first child started preschool at our parish, I got my teaching degree, and have been teaching 4th grade for the last 15 years.
From what I've seen,most parishes look the other way when it comes to situations like this, unless of course someone brings it into the forefront of the community and makes it an issue.

[edit on 8-3-2010 by crappiekat]

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The epitome of hypocracy. Look who's calling the kettle black.

Can they really say something like this, after all the abuse Catholic schools have been famous for since i was a kid?? All the pedophelia and God knows what else????

I'm glad i dont reside in that town.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Classic...completely forgot about that gem.

Love that book, best book ever. strict bible followers are simple nutcases.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here's my responce to Semper's thread this morning on the exact same story:

Sorry Little Girl, But Your Parents Are Gay, So No School!

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Why on earth would a gay couple send their child to a Catholic school, knowing the Church's moral teachings? They could have sent their child to any school they wanted. They chose Catholic.

Agent provocateur

Traditionally, an agent provocateur (plural: agents provocateurs, French for "inciting agent(s)") is a person employed by the police or other entity to act undercover to entice or provoke another person to commit an illegal act. More generally, the term may refer to a person or group that seeks to discredit or harm another by provoking them to commit a wrong or rash action.

Wickipedia

poedxsoldiervet hit the nail right on the head, they're looking for a payday and using their daughter as a PR weapon to bludgeon the Church.

Where is the outrage at the PARENTS for using their child to score political points against the Church?
A child should not be used as a weapon by those with an ax to grind against the Church. A child should not be used as a cash cow to instigate a lawsuit.

The Church even said the child would be allowed to finish the school year. they are not kicking her out!

I believe the Church is truly acting out of charity in the interests of the child in this matter. They don't want to create friction between her and her parents and feel it is best for her not to continue her education in a school whose moral teachings conflict with her parents lifestyle.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
this issue has more than a few points to contend with...

the two lesbians called 'Parents' is surely a Euphemism,
they are more correctly 'couple' with a dependent child.

the OP reported some parisheners or concerned citizens
were protesting the Catholic authorities...
[nothing more than 'political correctness' or persons
with an agenda but with no connection with the school
or the Parish.]

As for the 'private School' being able to set about
discriminatory guidelines or rules for the public...
hogwash!
tell today's various private orgs. and such, that 'White Only'
Country Clubs are Legal...(for example)

Affirmative action has superceeded any 'rights' of Private
enterprises, regardless of religion or ideology.

If the Lezbo adults want to educate their 'ward'/'child'
then it would behoove them to Home-School the kid...
instead They, (with infinite wisdom). are subjecting
the kid to undue notice = and she will likely be picked upon
all through her primary & secondary school attendance.

With krazy 'Moms' like that... Who needs enemies ?

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

That is one of the most IGNORANT posts I have ever seen.

Are you serious?

I don't even know what to say to something like that. So because it's two women raising the child they are not parents?

What about single moms and dads? The same logic applies? Just a "dependant".

As for home schooling the children because they will receive flak from other students, that's not their fault, it's societies fault for not being tolerent.

Besides if you educate your children properly and raise them properly people who make fun of them won't bother them at all. They will understand the difference between ignorance and bigotry.

Please take your twisted views elsewhere and come back with some respect the next time.

If your going to fling insults you should at least spell them right.

~Keeper

top topics

<<   2 >>

join