It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man cited during traffic stop fears his picture might end up online

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Man cited during traffic stop fears his picture might end up online

www.kens5.com

One local man seems to think when a police officer takes your picture, it could end up on the Internet.

"I think they've gone way too far, she's not a felon," says Greg Shawver. He says a Selma police officer took his wife's picture during a traffic stop.

Schertz police also uses the photo system, and they showed KENS 5 how it works. They say snapping your photo behind the wheel and entering in your personal info instantly is for your own good.

"A lot of people dont seem to mind it when it's explained to them. It's exclusively for law enforcement," says Chris Hernandez of
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxsanantonio.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Street Cameras At Main Intersections "Big Brother Watching?"

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
People's pictures are already being taken by traffic & street cameras as well as the dashboard cameras found in police vehicles. So... why not? What's the problem.

The way it's done is that when a police officer pulls you over on the street. As they question you, they carry a hand-held computer/PDA-like device complete with a stylus they use to punch in information on you as your being questioned. And as that is being done, the hand-held PDA has a little camera on the end of it which takes your picture as your sitting in your car.

The picture is then taken into record along with everything else that is typed into the device and is kept strictly by law-enforcement.

They say the reason for police to snap a person's picture as they're being questioned during a traffic stop is so that in case they do a traffic stop on the same vehicle and it's not you who is driving but instead it's your brother or your sister or cousin, etc, pretending to be you well then they have a picture of you on file to consult with that proves as such.

Combined with the factor as it is mentioned in the video about how it is actually beneficial whereas police acquire a photo of the individual that is up-to-date in comparison to what may be a very old photograph of the individual on their driver's license.

The way I see it, this method of information-acquisition at traffic-stops can be a circumvention to identity-theft as opposed to being a risk-factor in identity-theft.

So is this really an invasion of privacy? Is this really Big Brother in action all over again? What are YOUR thoughts?

www.kens5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I haven't heard of this before, but my speculation is that the photos are being run through a facial recognition software.

I'd guess it is, largely, due to the number of illegal immigrants who are cited for driving without licenses and fail to appear in court and/or provide fictitious identification information. Another revenue generating tool, mainly.

But, it could be a good tool for fugitive apprehension, also.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I like keeping all my information out of databases dealing with photos, finger prints, blood samples, skin flakes, whatever. It may help them protect my car but id rather buy a new car then have them hold onto my tangible information. Until your processed by a jail your photo and thumb prints are never submitted to federal agencies unless requested by them, sending all drivers licenses out would take too much paper work even with the wireless age, and if for some reason people need an escape from the police and they have had close up pictures of themselves taken by the LEOs it would make it much harder.

Believe you me if a cop came up to me and tried taking my photo without my permission he would have a bullet in some orifice, or anything else without probable cause, I don't believe people should be playing anymore with cops.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aziroth
Believe you me if a cop came up to me and tried taking my photo without my permission he would have a bullet in some orifice, or anything else without probable cause, I don't believe people should be playing anymore with cops.

It's that kind of mentality that is going to lead you right into a police-sniper's cross-hairs.

[edit on 2/23/10 by Marked One]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
I haven't heard of this before, but my speculation is that the photos are being run through a facial recognition software.

I'd guess it is, largely, due to the number of illegal immigrants who are cited for driving without licenses and fail to appear in court and/or provide fictitious identification information. Another revenue generating tool, mainly.

But, it could be a good tool for fugitive apprehension, also.

This is what I was thinking as well. Especially the part about illegal immigrants. I think this is something that could prove very useful in such a venture as mitigating illegal immigration.

Not to mention fugitive-apprehension.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Did this story come with any pictures?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
Did this story come with any pictures?

You mean like a demonstration of the picture-taking device? Sure. See the video.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
It's that kind of mentality that is going to lead you right into a police-sniper's cross-hairs.

And that kind of mentality is something that redneck, cowboy cops need to drop. You're probably not a cop, but I know plenty who talk like you. Cops are not a para-military organization, they're POLICE, get it? It's not your job, or their job, to openly threaten everyone and act like a tough-guy asshole.

That's okay though, keep up the attitude. I hope you're not a police officer when those words and actions end up proving that there are many more people with guns than rogue and psychopath cops.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
What happens when your son becomes a fugitive because he decides jesus is not the right path for him, or your mother when she decides to watch too much fox news. All these technologies will becomes our cell, we keep replacing good ole fashioned man hours with devices meant to be unbiased operated by biased people, rather than multiples of people with multiple levels of biases to keep checks and balances on themselves.

I spent 27 years of my life in the DoD and 17 of those years getting shot in the middle east, I paid my time to this country and to hell if the street demons are going to try and remove my liberties. I am not going to go run my plane into a building but I drew the line in the sand 2 years ago and I wont budge past it.

Someone doing something to you, without permission, and without probable cause in this country is called tyranny, and the hell pigs are the hands and hooves of the machine. Military gets paid to uphold the constitution, cops get paid to discipline people when they break unconstitutional laws.

Cop pulls me over because I am drunk, speeding, swerving, well its my own damn fault and I go to jail. Cop pulls me over to harass me, take my picture, and write who knows what about me on his little hand held death box, might as well be forcing me into pasture with the other filed and processed. No sir.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Cops are not a para-military organization, they're POLICE, get it?

Actually they are. That's why they carry guns.

But that's beside the point.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The "man" was not cited, his Wife was.

He is just being a pain in the backside for the purpose of being a pain in the backside. He is likely pissed off about his Wife getting a ticket and so he's grasping at straws to get even. Who knows. Maybe his Wife is a dangerous driver who gets lots of tickets and this one drove their insurance rate up?

This is great in fact. Alaska should do this. This way if somebody steals your drivers license or pretends to be you, you have a picture of them to prove your innocence. Makes loads of sense.

That guy did get his minute of fame with 14 minutes left to go. Or perhaps he and his wife are hiding from something?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If a traffif ticket is a contract to pay and yo don't want to sign can you use a fingrprint ? There is a convaluted arguement that if you sign you are signing on behalf of something called strawman.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

I carry a gun, my wife carries a gun, my best friend and my neighbor carry guns too, none of us have worked for the government in quite some time. Are we para-military too? If we are then great im going to go recruit about 10 thousand other people I know who carry guns and we are going to start POLICING, if that is indeed the qualifications. If not then your love for police snipers should be recalled and have a reality checkup.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
The "man" was not cited, his Wife was.

He is just being a pain in the backside for the purpose of being a pain in the backside. He is likely pissed off about his Wife getting a ticket and so he's grasping at straws to get even. Who knows. Maybe his Wife is a dangerous driver who gets lots of tickets and this one drove their insurance rate up?

This is great in fact. Alaska should do this. This way if somebody steals your drivers license or pretends to be you, you have a picture of them to prove your innocence. Makes loads of sense.

That guy did get his minute of fame with 14 minutes left to go. Or perhaps he and his wife are hiding from something?

His purpose for complaining is because, according to the news video segment, him and his wife (I dunno if it was him or his wife or both of them) were victims of identity-theft in the past.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Have just been reading the posts. Haven't devoted a lot of thought to the pros and cons, yet

but what you've said (above) does seem to have merit

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Dock9]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Hell, she is probably already on the INTERNET and I'm willing to bet it isn't the picture the cop took.

I have mixed feeling about this. Personally, if she showed him a driver license, than the picture on the driver license should have been sufficient. After all, they are supposed to be tamper proof. If the cop suspect tampering, than he could arrest her until they found out the truth.

If she didn't have a driver license, she should have been arrested and the picture should have been taken at the booking unit.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I carry a gun, my wife carries a gun, my best friend and my neighbor carry guns too, none of us have worked for the government in quite some time. Are we para-military too?

That makes you a militia. So pretty much yes.

If we are then great im going to go recruit about 10 thousand other people I know who carry guns and we are going to start POLICING, if that is indeed the qualifications. If not then your love for police snipers should be recalled and have a reality checkup.

Fine. Be my guest. I don't have a problem with that.

And someone asked me if I'm a cop myself. Actually no I'm not. But I am a security officer working for a private security firm owned and operated by a Sheriff's deputy.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Maybe in chernobyl carrying a pistol makes you a militia, here it makes you a safe citizen. I sure hope it takes more than carrying a pistol for you to be considered a militiaman, maybe an AR and 5 thousand rounds of ammo per person... that would be a militia.

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
If a traffif ticket is a contract to pay and yo don't want to sign can you use a fingrprint ? There is a convaluted arguement that if you sign you are signing on behalf of something called strawman.

Trying to get out of a traffic ticket is pretty low. An adult just pays it and moves on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join