It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

most useles class in school

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
What is exactly study hall/self education?

Personally, I think it's art I found the most useless. Music was alright, cause knowing the basics of even one instrument makes you look a little bit less ignorant. But all we did in Art never went further than any of us could have done on our own. Learning colours or perspective? Unless you're blind, I don't really see the point.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

My college doesn't have P.E.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I can think of classes I thought was a waste.

I thought Spanish class was a waste (I took Spanish classes back in the 80s). At that time products you bought at the store did NOT contain English and Spanish. When you called a company, you were not asked to choose English or Spanish. And the list goes on. Point is, I thought Spanish was useless and now in 2010, I wish I knew it better.

I thought some math classes were a waste. Im horrible at math as is, but I never thought I would ever ever ever use upper math classes. Now as a forensics student, I see that math is very important. Wish I paid more attention and tried harder way back then. Be less stressful for me now.

I think while kids are in school, they see many things that are pointless and useless, but later in life will see how important they were.

I also think that there are some things NOT being taught in school that should be manditory. And that list is pretty big

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Most useless thing I ever had to do in school was diagram sentences in English class.

I never could figure it out and it's something I've never had to do in the real world.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I also think that there are some things NOT being taught in school that should be manditory. And that list is pretty big

indeed, very much indeed, yes sir, miss !!

number one would be a class that teaches our children to properly use online community`s , and sexual awareness that comes with it!
thought by learning students final papers etc.

Not the old foks, that are bound to their old boundaries and shame.
these are utterly useless, and should be prevented, to protect your children!

give the educational power to the ones that are learning within its big shell.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by telfyr]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

could be fun to try figure some out now, if you still remember or kept the books.
see how you do now!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

Also, my mom was an English teacher and she couldn't figure it out either.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Must I pick just one! I really didn't learn much of anything from school. I absorbed information from practically everywhere but school. I had some sort of filter on me, to not buy into the bs they spewed out. Much like how a child can be towards adults. By the time I entered into a class, I'd usually know most of the information from one source or another. Anything else could just be intuited. If I had to pick the most useless class, I'd say the class of 2001. Somehow or another every course I entered through the pipeline didn't do squat for me.

[edit on 19-2-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think you could ask 50 different people and get 50 different answers. I imagine that you will only get as much out of any class as you put into it. Study hall could be quite useful, but not if you're not taking it seriously.

Any class, for the most part, can be quite useful if you really wanted it to be. I'm quite sure that no student knows everything about any subject, so regardless of the subject, if they really wanted to, they could learn.

That being said, I slept through my chemistry class almost every single day. I ended up with a B in the class still though. The teacher actually asked my sister a year after I graduated if we were related. When she said yes, he said "That guy sure doesn't get much sleep at home does he?"

Anyway, my point is, just because you choose not to get anything out of a class, does not mean its useless.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

I think there should be a choice to teach you survival-ism. The teachers would be from the military like a military based class.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
By the time I entered into a class, I'd usually know most of the information from one source or another.

thats is food for thought for a lot of people.
example:

imagine a really boring class, where you just have good grades on.
no matter the attention that you gave it.

why teach individuals things that they can care nothing about?
its part of a learning purpose.
to individually find yours interest, in the pool, of presented knowledge

all learning guidelines should be made by students and students only.
teachers and above should only be there to point out the not included reality`s.
that these students forgot to include.

i say forum based education system to refine the learning from the "feces of bulls"
that has slipped in, all these centuries ago.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Personally, I couldn't stand P.E.
I mean, I loved it in grade school, but middle school and high school P.E. was a waste of my time.

Other than that... I can't think of any other classes that were "useless", after all... no knowledge should be considered "useless".
I suppose if you were taught something that is false, then that would be considered "useless knowledge".

On a completely different note: The most useful classes I've ever taken have all been college courses (obviously, huh?). Some very notable ones that I find myself often mentally referencing information from include: Death & Dying (sociology), After Death & Dying (philosophy), Biblical Heritage I & II and Exploring Catholicism I & II (theology).

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimpish
I think you could ask 50 different people and get 50 different answers. I imagine that you will only get as much out of any class as you put into it. Study hall could be quite useful, but not if you're not taking it seriously.

thats like convicting students to failure
while the big class of group influences is the basis of ignorance and self degeneration, for a lot of good willing students.
this all is held up by your so cherished teachers and school boards.

ignoring the results of the school and blaming your children for bad grades.

the tv, soap, talk show, and commercial solutions brought to you by cooperate head master of your old school.

what is useless in our school system?
what is useless in UK school system?
what is useless in NL school system?
what is useless in DE school system
what is useless in Israelite school system?
what is useless in moslim school system?
what is useless in self educational school system.

and so on

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx
Personally, I couldn't stand P.E.
I mean, I loved it in grade school, but middle school and high school P.E. was a waste of my time.

Other than that... I can't think of any other classes that were "useless", after all... no knowledge should be considered "useless".
I suppose if you were taught something that is false, then that would be considered "useless knowledge".

On a completely different note: The most useful classes I've ever taken have all been college courses (obviously, huh?). Some very notable ones that I find myself often mentally referencing information from include: Death & Dying (sociology), After Death & Dying (philosophy), Biblical Heritage I & II and Exploring Catholicism I & II (theology).

I can't think of any other classes that were "useless", after all... no knowledge should be considered "useless".

answers that make questions more elaborate.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Music Class,Spanish, thats all i can think of at any rate.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
With one exception, all of my education was useful in one way or another. That exception was a forced (by way of schedule) foray into drama. Little did I know when I had two daughters a year apart that drama would become a large part of this father's life when they reached adolescence.

To this day I look back on public school and university as the good days of my life. Open discussion. Different viewpoints. Hard sciences and math to train the brain.

Learning to accept different styles of leadership via some whacko teachers and some truly brilliant ones too. Surrounded by endless subjects for a good practical joke.

Maybe when I retire I'll go back...but it probably wouldn't be the same uh?

[edit on 19-2-2010 by rotorwing]

[edit on 19-2-2010 by rotorwing]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx

i started this with the question of what was useful to you in school.
so please, if you want, do talk about what you found useful!

education is never, and will never, be just one side of the story.

an einstein worthy scramble of letters, that will survive time itself.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Bane

why music class?
what sparked you to be :

not interested?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The worst class for me was probably French or drama. I am interested in other cultures and languages but all colleges and schools offer is the same old languages. German, Italian, Spanish and French. Why can't we learn Swedish, Arabic, Japanese, Norwegian, Greek, etc?

My friend hardly ever went to school and he passed 100% on his maths exam, whilst theres people like me who go to school every day and get around 60-70%. Life just isn't fair.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by telfyr

Huh? I never even mentioned teachers or school boards. The bottom line is, if a student doesn't want to get anything out of a class, there is nothing that a teacher will be able to do about it.

If study hall was useless to you...why?

I just can't wrap my mind around any form of learning being useless.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join