It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Out Bag - Help Me ATS - What To Pack?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
So I figured what better place to come and ask such a question then my beloved ATS. I finally came into a bit of money from my tax return to start putting together a solid bug out backpack with all the essentials in case it ever comes down to it.

I already am buying a Ruger 10/22 (modified) with scope (to double as an observation tool) on Tuesday, so that covers the survival weapon aspect which in my opinion is the most important. If I cant eat, I die. I figure a few thousand .22LR rounds should last long enough into a situation, and hopefully enough to make it out alive.

Some of the things I have on my list (brands and tips would be helpful) are a water purifier, flint and steel, tinder, durable knife, paracord, hammock, hand-crank radio, first aid kit, enough food and water to get started comfortably, hand-crank flashlight, survival guide to identify plants to eat, harmonica (small, something for entertainment), cold weather sleeping bag (my plan would be to head south to warmer weather though), small sewing kit, waterproof matches, magnifying glass (easy way to start fire), good map, compass.

I am sure I'm missing some essentials, so hopefully some of you could let me know what also might be of use. I live in Pennsylvania about an hour away from the mountains so there is a lot of land to survive on.

The more the better, as long as I can carry it. I want to be as prepared as possible just in case the worst happens. I may also have to take care of one or two other people if it came to the point where they wanted to come with me to increase our odds as surviving as a team.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You maybe should have done a search for "bug out bag" or "BOB" before posting. This topic has been covered thoroughly many times on ATS already.

Edit to clarify

[edit on 14-2-2010 by dainoyfb]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Condoms if you're sinlge, and thats serious

You never know when you might get lucky

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Don't forget to pack a good waterproof tarp along with your para cord. The tarp can serve as many useful things such as a shelter or means to collect water. I would also include a good multi tool and pack axe. Gerber makes a very nice pack axe that is super light and very durable, and one model even has a nice knife that stores in the handle of the axe.

Also do not forget a small tin with some fishing line, sinkers, small fishing hooks, and a zip saw. A small hiking medical kit is also a good thing to have in your pack as well. One super important thing not to forget is a couple of changes of good quality socks. You will be travelling on foot I assume so you will need to take good care of your transportation.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Check out your local natural food store. A few survivalist groups post meeting information there. I'm not in PA, but heard about it through friends.

You're going to want some vitamins (C, etc) since you may not be getting enough of the right nutrients when you bug out.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I would recommend reading the Zombie Survival Guide. While the content is fictitious (I hope), it has a chapter dedicated to bug out bags, with many of the essentials that you will need in the wild.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
A few thousand rounds of ammo?

Do you have any idea how much that would weigh?

I have said this before.Why leave?

The area you are in may be the safest place to be.

You may be bugging out and heading for a place that maybe the next ground zero.

If I have to leave I am taking very little with me.

I figure I can take what I need off the naive fools bugging out with out experience or common sense.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
First of all, a good survival pack is built up over months and years. It is used in the field and added to/subtracted from as you learn what you need and what is just dead weight. If you don't use it for camping or on "dry runs" to weed out the bad and keep the good, your pack as a BOB will be pretty useless. A good bob isn't ever just thrown together and magically perfect. Its all trial and error. And always keep in mind that there is no one skill or piece of gear that will see you through all survival scenarios except your brain.

One thing about gear, like most other things is that you get what you pay for. The good, light, strong "anything" will be supremely expensive.

My best advice to you without making this a 5 page post is to go for military surplus items. Civilian packs are just not as good, and they tend to be RED or YELLOW or other bright colors. The military has spent an endless amount on money testing and re-testing their gear. Take advantage of that.

I highly recommend the military ALICE with the frame off. I give it an A+ compared to the framed Kelty's I used to haul around. For clothing, WOOL RULES. I also highly recommend military ECWS gear. If you bug out in cotton in the cold you're already dead.

I have a "steri pen" for my water purification needs, and it suits me well. There are big drawbacks with it though, so I wouldn't recommend it for a SHTF purification system. I would recommend an actual hand pump filter that doesn't need batteries and will filter out chemicals. Tablets should ALWAYS be carried as a secondary. They get nasty quick so make sure they are fresh.

You're going to need a compass and map of your AO. Screw the GPS, it isn't going to work when you need it most. You probably have a knife, knife is a must, fixed blade. A multi tool is a must. Fishing line and hooks, keep it simple. A tiny AM radio with earplugs. Flat duct-tape, such a lifesaver. Razor blades, zip ties, wire, lighters(even empty ones are valuable), para-cord. First aid kit(go military with this item). Even compact saws add a good amount of weight to your pack, but if your AO is wilderness, i'd recommend a small one.

Your sleeping bag depends on your AO. The military "mummy" bags take up a ton of space an they are heavy. But they are much better that having some summer sleeping bag and freezing to death in the winter. The military issue gortex modular sleeping system is the way to go. However, as you will find out, these top of the line items demand deep pockets.

I know this is just scratching the surface but please keep in mind that NO gear will see you through all survival scenarios except your brain. Keep it simple, keep it light.

BOB WEBSITE

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
A few thousand rounds of ammo?

Do you have any idea how much that would weigh?

Which is why I chose .22LR. 4 Boxes of 550 rds isnt that much weight considering how long that would feed me for. Any other caliber that many rounds would be impossible to carry efficiently.

Also, I understand a good BOB isn't ment to be tossed together in the blink of an eye, but, you have to start somewhere. I'd much rather have at least a good collection of items ready to go at a moments notice then none at all. I will be looking into the ALICE system for a bag, but from my memory it was quite expensive. Granted, as you said, you get what you pay for, so it may be in my best interest to spend the money on something that will last.

The saw is something I didnt consider, and definitely will add that. Vitamins as well, because even with certain diets when you are eating and staying full, you could still starve. Reminds me of the guys who used to eat rabbit I believe it was. They ate all the time, yet since no Vitamin C they died.

I couldnt believe I didn't think of duct-tape either. That could definitely come in handy more then I could ever imagine. Hell, one guy crashed his plane and used duct tape to repair it and fly home. Absolutely amazing stuff.

I'm also aware of the plethora of information on BOBs on ATS. I wanted to start my own thread though so I could get more specific information to suit my individual needs. Different people in different climates would need quite varying gear. As well as having a single source to continue back to for more information in the future, to add or change items, and basically keep track of everything much easier. Normally I dont start threads pertaining to something already discussed, but when my life is on the line I want to be as sure and ready as possible.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Dear deadline527

I do not know what you have in mind as the cause of needing all this equipment. However having all these items is one thing but in the event that they may be necessary the training that you will need in order to keep them yours is another thing entirely.

From your post it doesn’t sound as though you have had military training if not get some quick. Simply because one man with a gun will take it all from you in a situation like this.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Most of the stuff is very small, other then the gun. If it happens that I cant fit everything then I'll start deciding what I need more then others but I'm not really worried. The only large item is the sleeping bag other then the gun. Nothing more then most people would normally carry on a evening backpacking.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Dear deadline527

My main point there was that you had better know and be prepared to look after what you have otherwise you will lose it.

When all law is gone it will be kill or be killed.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I try to think of really practical handy things that have lots of worst case scenario applications and are small and light weight. You probably will get great advice from all the other sources here but maybe a couple ideas that haven't been considered.

Duct Tape, lots of duct tape. You can wrap in around other things you have like water bottles etc. to save on space. Truly a must, first aid, repairs, and a million other applications.

Extra Tooth paste, large supply of floss (great for sewing kit too) and tooth brush is a good idea. Oral hygiene is crucial to prevent abscesses or cavities and blood poisoning. This is serious business in a survival situation. Good wool socks and warm wool hat and tough durable mittens. A light weight good quality tarp (not the typical cheap ones) would be good. Extra boot laces, snare wire, Multi tool with wire cutters, small fishing kit with 50 pound test (good for other things).Couple tubes of original krazy super glue (good for gluing deep cuts and repairs)

Might be a good idea to consider packing a back up fanny pack. What if someone steals you primary bug out pack. Maybe a small firearm, some rounds a knife, some first aid, DUCT TAPE of course, maps, energy bars. I just think what if you put all this work into a pack and some one rips it off. I guess it comes from not all eggs in one basket thinking.

Another good tip I learned when wilderness canoe tripping and back packing is to line your back pack with a tough durable garbage bag, this way your gear will stay dry if it falls in the drink or if you get stuck in the rain. Small price to pay for keeping your stuff dry. I am no expert but I like to be prepared for the mishaps and accidents.

just some thoughts

join