It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Approves $6 Billion Arms Sale to Taiwan, China angry

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

U.S. Approves $6 Billion Arms Sale to Taiwan, China angry

www.nytimes.com

The Obama administration has approved the sale of an arms package to Taiwan worth more than $6 billion, a move that is sure to enrage China and possibly complicate President Obama’s push to get Beijing’s cooperation on Iran.

The administration deferred a decision on whether to sell F-16 fighter planes to Taiwan, administration officials said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
so... the nobel peace prize winner can only afford 100 million dollars to send to haiti yet he can manage to send 6 billion dollars worth of weapons to taiwan... what a douchebag. hugo chavez wipes out haiti's oil debt, a 3rd of their entire debt!! and we send 6 billion bucks worth of arms to taiwan... what does this say about our governemnt seriously...?

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Run for office man. Make a real change and make us proud

ut seriously.b You know the drill. Money talks and bs...
This country doesn't give away anything for free. There's always someone lined up to make money no matter what we do.

[edit on 29-1-2010 by grey580]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

uhmmmm, you are bashing Obama for "giving" or "selling" to TW? I hope you do know the companies manufacturing those weapons will get HARD currency back for the SALE?????

Anyhow, regardless of that, still stupid move, and an attempt to create a new cold war arm race in the world, so those greedy military industrialists will be enriched.....

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Perhaps you dont know the difference between a SALE and a donation.

May want look that up.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

im not sure what your point is??

im all about self-determination for the nationalist chinese but the hypocrisy reeks. there are more ways then one the mainland can get back at us for it, such as dropping the debt they hold... yikes.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
This should make China pretty mad. Not good. China always wanted Taiwan back as a part of China. It should be a bit tougher with the Tawianese acquisition of high-tech U.S. weapons.

Why does our government like war so much? It makes money?
Money for who? Definitly not the people.

Who are the ones getting killed? The innocent civilians that don't even fully understand why they are even at war. Governments are the cause of all of our war problems, if not every problem.

And don't forget the $30 billion we are giving Israel over the next decade.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems like we are really pushing for war instead of pushing for peace. I guess our government will still do anything to screw the closest competing superpowers(China and Russia).

[edit on 29-1-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Why would Taiwan need 6 billion worth of fighter jets? This smells fishy to me...

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Don't we have some kind of a treaty with Taiwan? Would refusing to sell arms to them violate the treaty? If Chine were to invade or attack Taiwan I think that treaty would dictate we come to their defense. At least by arming them fewer American soldiers would have to die. Initially anyway.

Couldn't get rid of the treaty. That would call out the "we hate Ron Paul because he's and isolationist" crowd. Wouldn't want that. We all know how much the status quo loves their intervention.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by yiersan

uhmmmm, you are bashing Obama for "giving" or "selling" to TW? I hope you do know the companies manufacturing those weapons will get HARD currency back for the SALE?????

Anyhow, regardless of that, still stupid move, and an attempt to create a new cold war arm race in the world, so those greedy military industrialists will be enriched.....

Hmm this is hard because I have to call foul on the hard currency return, we get an IOU, counter Debt to our international debt, see how banks make loans and credit happen!!

However your statment of a cold war environment is dead on . In Air Force Magazine April 09' The new head of AF GSAC, stated that he wished "To move the level of security to a more Cold War era. Including social infrastructure to make the public more aware of Global threats. To move the current 78 staffers to the Cold War status of 134 ground personnell and 386 rotating pilots and support crewmembers."

Once again the U.S, is one of the largest gun dealers in the world so the package is of no suprise.

Makes you wonder though, just exactly why arming a historically flammable and definently anti-chinese rule area with lots and lots of guns, is considered a move towards world peace.

Ultimately that package will be broken up and sold on the flourishing and widely used black market across asia! bad idea all around.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I find it disgusting that they can approve such a thing in the same week they denied NASA a lousy 1 Billion usd to land people on the moon again. Which, imho, is much more of value !

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Tiawan faces the world's second largest military power just across Formosa Strait! China has been threatening to repatriate Taiwan for as long as I remember.

The arms package announced Friday is primarily DEFENSIVE, and includes 114 Patriot missiles worth $2.82 billion, 60 Black Hawk helicopters worth $3.1 billion and communications equipment for Taiwan’s F-16 fleet. The package also includes Harpoon missiles and mine-hunting ships, the Defense Cooperation Security Agency said in a statement.

Taiwan clearly wants to maintain its independence.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

The Chinese government has warned that a planned sale of advanced US weaponry to Taiwan threatens to strain a relationship already troubled by disputes about internet censorship.

The US military yesterday announced plans for a $6.3bn (£4bn) arms sale to the self-governing island, which Beijing considers part of its sovereign territory.

Included in the proposed deal are two Osprey mine-hunting ships, 60 Black Hawk helicopters, missiles, machine guns and ammunition, night vision gear, radar equipment, and information technology.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TacticalVeritas

Originally posted by yiersan

Hmm this is hard because I have to call foul on the hard currency return, we get an IOU, counter Debt to our international debt, see how banks make loans and credit happen!!

However your statment of a cold war environment is dead on . In Air Force Magazine April 09' The new head of AF GSAC, stated that he wished "To move the level of security to a more Cold War era. Including social infrastructure to make the public more aware of Global threats. To move the current 78 staffers to the Cold War status of 134 ground personnell and 386 rotating pilots and support crewmembers."

Once again the U.S, is one of the largest gun dealers in the world so the package is of no suprise.

Makes you wonder though, just exactly why arming a historically flammable and definently anti-chinese rule area with lots and lots of guns, is considered a move towards world peace.

Ultimately that package will be broken up and sold on the flourishing and widely used black market across asia! bad idea all around.

How does it exactly works, will it be a bilateral deal between the two governments, and US government set it off with the manufacturers? As TW is full of debts and economy sinking I wondered how they would pay for it....

Anyhow, it is stupid anyhow to sell to Taiwan nowadays, over 5% Taiwanese Chinese live and work in mainland China, and increasing by the day. Most of the bigger Taiwanese, especially high-tech electronics, companies moved with all their plants to China a long time ago. Recently to boost the TW economy they are opening up direct flights and tourism for mainlanders to visit TW. Taiwanese economy is so integrated in the overall mainland economy, you can not imagine what the actual reality compared to those propaganda on the MSM in the Western world is about TW. Basically, my point is, besides that these weapons will be in the black market, a big portion of those tech will be in the hands of mainland very soon
after all, Taiwanese Chinese will still call themshelves as Chinese and not American ;-)

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Unfortunately there's no guarantee that taiwan will always stay "loyal" to the US.

The US should not sold the more strategic weapon to taiwan. Because it's not impossible that one day, taiwan will kowtow to china, there are signs of it.

However you could consider this approval of sale actually as a retaliation by the US because china is getting extremely brazen and dare to snub the current US president in copenhagen. There's no need to treat china nicely ever since that, the US has what it takes to make the chicom yield regardless of what most people think.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Whenever I see the media headline "U.S. approves 6 billion in arms sales to Taiwan" I am reminded that what that headline really means is that in order to get the 6 billion in payment, we had to probably give up 30 billion in actual arms sales.

Add in the feasibility that this smells of a Clinton insider deal gone berserk and you have the makings of a three ring circus.

China could also be in actuality angry because the weapons they have been producing for export have come back to Taiwan and in affect that makes China the one who is providing the weapons to Taiwan.

What a small world we live in. No wonder China is angry. Oh well, that's what the world of greed and corruption gets you.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
With the Chinese in such a precarious situation with the US financially, it would be reasonable to assume that they are actually giving weapons to Taiwan indirectly, as Max Black mentions. The Chinese are in deep with the US economy. So, it is much of a stretch to see that they may be indirectly militarizing the island in which they seek.

However, the Taiwanese are in a hopeless situation, much as their counterparts to the North South Korea and their ongoing feud with Kim Jong Il and his artillery placements aimed at Seoul. In a matter of hours Taiwan could be devastated from a missile strike from its massive neighbor across the strait. However, the Chinese are in a situation as well. They could militarily repatriate Taiwan, and as a result, they would get a smoldering wasteland. What good is that?

So, it will be a stalemate for the foreseeable future, and will most likely take a diplomatic turn if indeed it happens? Similar to what was experience with Hong Kong in 1997. However, at the rate things are going it appears that Taiwan wants nothing to do with the mainland as it procures weapons from the United States.

[edit on 30-1-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
[edit on 29-1-2010 by asala]

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by yiersan

If the government is sending the package it is most likely our own stockpile being moved about. There are miles of weapons just sitting sealed away in the states. As to how the debt exchange works, its like any other government to government exchange favors for favors, an export/import deal, or just a few percentage difference on how the dollar closes internationally based on the exchange of goods. You never really know what they are getting out of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The people on this board never cease to amaze me

Helicopters and missles. Wow. Theres a threat.

Fail.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join