It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX is most trusted name in news.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Sounds like a case of lesser of all evils

Fox is the most trusted television news network in the country, according to a new poll out Tuesday.
A Public Policy Polling nationwide survey of 1,151 registered voters Jan. 18-19 found that 49 percent of Americans trusted Fox News, 10 percentage points more than any other network.
Thirty-seven percent said they didn’t trust Fox, also the lowest level of distrust that any of the networks recorded.
Read more: www.politico.com...

www.politico.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Is politico com conservative?

Read it for awhile and saw rather superficial coverage of some issues. Also noticed that they seemed to repeat discredited or misleading "facts". Recently heard someone on television refer to it as conservative. Seems to be as is most mainstream media.

Frederick J. Ryan Jr. is the President and CEO of politico.com. Used to work for Reagan and currently "serves as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation", per Wikipedia. Says it all, doesn't it? That's a good way to determine the political bent of a website - find out who's in charge, then look at their history and where they make their money.

Your link source appears to be potentially biased in FOXes favor.

[edit on 26-1-2010 by Blackmarketeer]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
Is politico com conservative?

Read it for awhile and saw rather superficial coverage of some issues. Also noticed that they seemed to repeat discredited or misleading "facts". Recently heard someone on television refer to it as conservative. Seems to be as is most mainstream media.

Frederick J. Ryan Jr. is the President and CEO of politico.com. Used to work for Reagan and currently "serves as the Chairman of the Board of Trustees for the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation", per Wikipedia. Says it all, doesn't it? That's a good way to determine the political bent of a website - find out who's in charge, then look at their history and where they make their money.

Your link source appears to be potentially biased in FOXes favor.

Politico didn't do the poll, they just reported on it.

Now if you have a case for bias against Public Policy Polling, please present it.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Millions of people purchased Madonna cd's and watch Americans Idle.
There's simply no accounting for taste.

Then again, there's the bell curve.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
You're right, my mistake. Apologies OP!

I do feel the poll tested too few a number, at only 1,500, which may skew the results depending where they did the testing (they don't say). Q7 shows that the majority of respondents identified themselves as moderate or conservative, which would undoubtedly indicate which network they would "trust".

Would you describe yourself as a liberal, moderate, or conservative? If liberal, press 1. If moderate, press 2. If conservative, press 3.

Liberal 14% - Moderate 47% - Conservative 39%

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by leftystrat

Look up who owns Public Policy Polling if you think the poll was biased, that is who did the polling.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This poll is kinda crappy though.

Why don't we just go to the TV ratings numbers instead??

Since the ratings #'s are actually the best indicator of who watches what...

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I did, it's an automated polling system (by phone) which from what I can tell leads to less bias, since no persons are there to influence the polling. This wouldn't prevent a bias caused by polling, say, in the deep south, or polling in the North East, from introducing a certain amount of regional bias, and they don't include any information on how that was done.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
25-54 demographic: (L +SD)

Total day: FNC: 484 | CNN: 141 | MSNBC: 91 | HLN: 155

Prime: FNC: 836 | CNN: 193 | MSNBC: 181 | HLN: 235

FOX is blowing them all away in ratings. This is from the 25th of January.

www.mediabistro.com...

Go take a look at the #'s.

There is like more people watching FOX News than all other top news channels combined. That is crazy!

[edit on 26-1-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Check out this weirdness too.

""Without Telethon, Fox News Doubles CNN/MSNBC Friday
By Chris Ariens on Jan 25, 2010 04:35 PM
Fox News's decision to stick with its opinion shows Friday night while their competition carried the "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon worked for ratings.

Fox News more than doubled CNN and MSNBC which carried the concert and telethon from 8pm-10pmET.

• FNC - O'Reilly/Hannity avg.: 3,807,000 Total Viewers / 938,500 A25-54
• CNN - Hope for Haiti Now: 1,187,000 / 393,000
• MSNBC - Hope for Haiti Now: 468,000 / 130,000

• Primetime average (8-11pmET):
FNC: 3,317,000 / 814,000
CNN: 1,255,000 / 428,000
MSNBC: 568,000 / 163,000""

www.mediabistro.com...

Crazy how the world works huh??? Oh well...at least I don't watch TV.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

I think it just goes to prove that ....

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.”
Henry Louis Mencken

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Actually - the PPP results are out on the web and available for all to see. Right from PPP the pdf is at the link below.

Public Policy Polling - Fox

Here is the crux of the findings..

49% of Americans say they trust Fox News to 37% who disagree. Predictably there is a large party split on this with 74% of Republicans but only 30% of Democrats saying they trust the right leaning network.

CNN does next best because it is the second most trusted of Democrats, Republicans, and independents. 39% say they trust it compared to 41% who do not, with 59% of Democrats, 33% of independents and 23% of Republicans saying it carries credibility with them.

The major networks all have the majority trust of Democrats but less than 20% from Republicans. NBC, perhaps because of the ideological bent of MSNBC, does the best among Democrats at 62%. Overall 35% of voters trust it to 44% who do not. CBS does the worst among Republicans, with 69% distrusting it. A plurality of independents express distrust of all five outlets we tested.

“A generation ago you would have expected Americans to place their trust in the most neutral and unbiased conveyors of news,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “But the media landscape has really changed and now they’re turning more toward the outlets that tell them what they want to hear.”

The last paragraph is the key. People these days "trust" news that tells them what they want to hear. There is only one news network that leans right - "Fox". Therefore, it gets the most votes from those with right leaning views. Views of all the others are split between the rest of the news sources. Given that - it is no wonder that Fox came out top.

The poll is not saying how good Fox is - seen in truth it is a condemnation of of what we have become as consumers of news and how the MSM panders to that.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

Thanks for being the ultimate propaganda channel Fox! I'll bet you are almost as popular as Nazism in the late 1930s, keep up the hard work! You really are helping to create the uninformed ignorance needed to usher in fascism:

A study by the Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA),[38] in the Winter 03-04 issue of Political Science Quarterly, reported that viewers of Fox News, the Fox Broadcasting Company, and local Fox affiliates were more likely than viewers of other news networks to hold three misperceptions:[39]

*** 67% of Fox viewers believed that the "U.S. has found clear evidence in Iraq that Saddam Hussein was working closely with the al Qaeda terrorist organization" (Compared with 56% for CBS, 49% for NBC, 48% for CNN, 45% for ABC, 16% for NPR/PBS).

*** The belief that "The U.S. has found Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq" was held by 33% of FOX viewers and only 23% of CBS viewers, 19% for ABC, 20% for NBC, 20% for CNN and 11% for NPR/PBS

*** 35% of Fox viewers believed that "the majority of people [in the world] favor the U.S. having gone to war" with Iraq. (Compared with 28% for CBS, 27% for ABC, 24% for CNN, 20% for NBC, 5% for NPR/PBS)

Thanks for having journalistic integrity Fox!

Talking points from Bush White House:

Scott McClellan, former White House Press Secretary (2003–2006) for President George W. Bush stated on the July 25, 2008, edition of MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews that the Bush White House routinely gave talking points to Fox News commentators — but not journalists — in order to influence discourse and content.[59]

McClellan stated that these talking points were not issued to provide the public with news, but were issued to provide Fox News commentators with issues and perspectives favorable to the White House and Republican Party.[59]

More awesomeness (chosen from a plethora of awesome possibilities):

* Carl Cameron, chief political correspondent of Fox News, authored a bogus "news article" on the Fox News website during October 2004. It contained three fabricated quotes attributed to Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. The quotes included:

"Women should like me! I do manicures,"

"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great?" and

"I'm metrosexual [Bush's] a cowboy."[citation needed]

Fox News retracted the story and apologized, calling it a "jest" that became published through "fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."[120]

Criticism of media coverage

* Outfoxed: Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism, a documentary film on Fox News by liberal activist Robert Greenwald, makes allegations of bias in Fox News by interviewing a number of former employees who discuss the network's practices.

For example, Frank O'Donnell, identified as a "Fox News producer", says: "We were stunned, because up until that point, we were allowed to do legitimate news. Suddenly, we were ordered from the top to carry [...] Republican, right-wing propaganda", including being told what to say about Ronald Reagan.

But really, just because the airwaves are public property, does that mean we all deserve actual news? I mean, propaganda is free speech, right. I'm eagerly awaiting the SCOTUS decision declaring that fascism is whole-heartedly constitutional.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/26/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by joey_hv

I think we ALL knew that before the poll was conducted.

Fox News is the best place to get fair and balanced information.
The other networks take a quick look at their liberal template
before they say a word about anything.

-----------------------------------------------------------
They love to try to teach people how to think and it's just not
working anymore.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Beware the MSM. Theres a reason it's called "Programming." Turn them off and begin the "Deprogramming."

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
reply to post by joey_hv

I think we ALL knew that before the poll was conducted.

Fox News is the best place to get fair and balanced information.

-----------------------------------------------------------
They love to try to teach people how to think and it's just not
working anymore.

Um, actually FOX loves to encourage people not to think. Your free advertising of their propaganda is pretty much proof of that. It should say something when a company has a multi-million dollar propaganda campaign to convince the non-critical thinkers that they are 'fair and balanced.'

Do you at least get a free t-shirt, or did you have to pay for that too??

Popularity proves what?

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. Maybe you are a paid shill for fox (I hope so for your 'dignity,' as half of your started threads are orgasmic exclamations regarding fox news viewer-ship stats, and you list fox news as your sole favorite website. Yeah, you are totally a free-thinker.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

Your unconditional hatred of Fox News proves nothing.

Air America is gone. NBC and MSNBC are next.
You may have to move to France.

Your words are meaningless here on ATS.
Go buy a passport.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

As I stated in the past, I have a passport, was lucky to make a small fortune investing an inheritance in Ford at the beginning of Obama's first term, and am actively considering taking my talent and resources to Australia or New Zealand. I have no interest watching America turn completely towards fascism. Thanks for the tip of moving to France, though, as they are rated as having an extremely high level of individual contentment.

Best,
Skunknuts

P.S. I do appreciate your gloating about the lack of media choices, and your exhilaration that soon only pure propaganda media outlets will exist. It's nice when closet fascists don't hide behind ambiguous quotes about love of 'freedom' this, or 'freedom' that, and just admit what you want. Enjoy your FOX owned election of Palin/Thompson 2012 in your damp dreams.

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Democrats are going to lose.
Republicans 2010/2012.
Tax cuts for corporations which will create jobs.
Help Wall street to help main street.
Give bankers billions in bonuses...they will reinvest in our economy.
Give government contracts to corporations to rebuild countries and fight wars. It will help our economy.

Rah Rah...(shaking my pom poms) Go Go GOP!

Don't like it...leave the country.

I'm so glad Republicans have finally figured it out.

/sarcasm off

[edit on 26-1-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 26 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
yeah well, this is what i think of FOX news...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join