It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do your ears ring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Do your ears ring?

www.entnet.org

What causes tinnitus?
Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. The health of these nerve endings is important for acute hearing, and injury to them brings on hearing loss and often tinnitus. If you are older, advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve impairment and tinnitus. If you are younger, exposure to loud noise is probably the leading cause of tinnitus, and often damages hearing as well.
There are many causes for “subjective tinnitus,” the noise only you can hear. Some causes are not serious
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have a high pitch ringing sound in my ears. It started about 8 years ago, and I don't have a clue why. I am a musician, but I don't listen to allot of loud music. I do have special ear plugs for practices and shows, so that is not a factor. The sound is constant, and it does not matter what I do it will not go away. I have had hearing tests done and they say it is ok, so I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what might be a resolve. actually I was wondering if it might be cell phone related? is it Tinnitus?

www.entnet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Yeah actually, my ears started to ring not to long ago, only a month or so. It is consistant, but it fluxes. Like it is a louder ring at one point then a quiet one the next.

Maybe it has to do with electronics like tv's and computers since they are electronic and give off frequencies. Cells phones maybe a cause as well, you never know.

I guess I was exposed to too much loud music.
Well now I can block out all the ignorance when I go deaf when I'm 60

MBF

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I have about the same thing. They claim that my hearing is better than average. Back when I was in college we studied the vibration of atoms and it is claimed that the natural vibration of atoms is just below what people can hear. I have often wondered that if some people could have the construction of their ear drum in a way that we could detect this natural vibration of atoms.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I have had ear ringing since I was 5, it started after I stuck a pencil into my ear my first day at kindergarten.

It didn't help at all later when I was hit in the same ear with a baseball bat.

I have constant ringing, but lately I have many differernt tones going on, along with cricket like sounds. I have alway understood why they ring, and it has never bothered me until lately, in seeking a reason and hopefully a solution, I came across the study of earthquake prediction by alternative methods, and ear ringing apparently can be one way of detecting changes that seem to coincide with near future earthquakes. Pretty darn interesting to me. Now I pay close attention when changes occur in the ringing.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
This never goes away, sometime it is a little less but it is always there. I once spent a whole week of complete silence to see if it improved. Yet the high pitch sound was still there. I have heard that sometimes high blood pressure can cause that but I am VERY healthy, or at least as my Blood psi and cholesterol is concerned.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Had it for ages this, it gets really annoying when you're trying to sleep sometimes, but a little background noise always helps me!

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Left ear for a long time.Does anybody else have it in just the left ear?

It is those turbochargers on semi-trucks and construction equipment.They wind up and put out high pitched sounds that most people don't notice but are destroying your hearing.

Worked as a equipment operator for 20 plus years and never wore ear protection for the first 5 or 6 years.

If you are in traffic stay away from trucks.

Mine is so bad when it goes away the silence is deafening.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I've had this for as long as I can remember (I've got a really long thread on it somewhere - lots of interesting examples from other people in there - I'll dig it up... I don't want to take the thunder out of this thread tho!
- for me it's a serious issue that most people just don't get).

Mine has just been getting steadily worse and it's driving me nuts :bnghd: depression, frustration, confusion - all the things that make it worse, so a vicious cycle.

As I type it's about at it's worst it's been over the past few days, I have a variety of pitches, volumes and sounds but there is always something there 24/7.

In my left side is the most annoying and consistent one, a high loud ring that seems a little distorted so it also has a hissing quality to it... It seems to emanate from about 2 inches into my head, more insode the head that in the ears if you get me.

Then there are the shifting fluxuating one - I can live with those, the volume is usually relatively low.

There are also the random ones, I get these all the time, it might be one of the 'elements' from one of the regular sounds seems to go a bit haywire and wants to steal the show up there! - you know fairly rapid shifting of tone and intensity... Quite often those feel like a switch has been flipped on somewhere, I'm know to obsess about trying to locate machinery / equipment sometimes (people seem to think for no reason! - I get board explaining my self
- I will open and close windows, duck and dive around a room, use things like magazines to try to alter the alter the noise - like you can do with an old TV that has that high pitched tone that old people are oblivious too! :bash: )

And then last but most bonkers of all are the ones I term 'spikes' - these are rare, that's a very good thing because they really get my heart pumping! - Gonna give me a heart attack one day! - They are a little like the random ones, they almost always happen while I am sleeping or deep in relaxation - they seem to come from nowhere at all - again like some switch has been flipped my head, just for about 2 seconds, completely fills with the noises!!! - and I mean all of them at like 500% their usual volume and intensity! - Jeese do they make me jump! - when I was a kid they would scare me so much I'd cry, my parents (dumb asses - would say it was a dream...

Mind you they were convinced I was making up the tinnitus and would not let me tell a doctor about it! - Like I said dumb asses). But yhea these spikes, only like once every few months, out of nowhere, for those 2 seconds it's such a shock I can't think or anything (I've usually just woken up from deep sleep)... For some reason I think I may actually be kinda frozen in a sort of paralysis at the time also... Bam head fills with noise, seems like 2 seconds and then quick as a flash gone again back to normal ringing. (also if I get one big spike in a night I tend to get 2 or 3 smaller ones later on).

I uses to keep a bit of a diary of my symptoms but had to stop, I was going mad trying to link the ringing to things like natural disasters, the scheduled flights in my area, all sorts really. - My money is on just the general proliferation of various use of the radio waves etc, take the boom in mobile phone use for instance... Low power consistent use of specific high freqs

Tinnitus sucks.

new topics

top topics

join