It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 petitions call for severe penalty in Buddy the dog's dragging death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

100,000 petitions call for severe penalty in Buddy the dog

www.denverpost.com

Authorities said the dog had been forced to run 3 miles up and around steep hills at the Colorado National Monument near Grand Junction before it was dragged when it couldn't keep up. The dog was found with a rope tied around its neck on a snowy road.

Romero, 37, was arrested when he was in court on unrelated charges. According to an arrest affidavit, Lockhart stole two dogs and brought Buddy to Romero's house and asked him "to get rid of the dog."
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-1-2010 by December_Rain]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Lockhart faces animal-cruelty, felony theft and false-reporting charges and is in jail.

Since the Facebook page was created days after Buddy's death, 212,029 animal enthusiasts have become members of the site and are hoping their efforts will persuade a Colorado court to give Romero a maximum penalty of three years in a federal prison, a $100,000 fine and one year of probation.

What's wrong with frigging people? Purely disgusting!! Keeping aside the emotions do you think this man deserves severe action taken against him?

What do you think ATS? Personally, I wan't severe action taken against such behavior and this person.

www.denverpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Its a shocking story and I hope the perpetrator gets a heavy sentence.

But I do wonder why people appear to get more agitated when an animal is mistreated than when another human being is harmed.

Maybe becuase animals and especially dogs are so trusting and friendly towards humans, do we see it as a failure of our species ?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I've got one!
Lets put him outside the car with a rope around his neck!
I really hope he can run most cars go at least 100 mph.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

It's because animals have that innocence that humans are lacking more and more with each passing day. Just look into a eye of any animal..even a stray dog, you will find the whole world's innocence and trust in them.

Also because animals are treated in such an cruel way with no fault of theirs. What did this dog do to deserve death by dragging? Can you imagine how much it would have hurted? If the same was done to a person, people would be asking for his neck..sadly, humans treat their life more important than others.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Personally I think some form of consistent sentancing would be more important to me than a heavy sentance in this case..

A high number of cases that are no less cruel don't get as much human attention, and simply slip through the net... this is the disparity that I find sad.

I don't feel you can address this issue in a single case until we get some consistency.

Edit to add: all the animals I have (more like a mini zoo) are rescued animals, most have been near death due to mistreatment and other horrors I can not imagine, while I know the perpetrators have got away scott free..

So for me consistent sentancing would be my first demand..

[edit on 25/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

I hope for that man's sake I never meet him on the street. I hope he gets a severe penalty for torturing the dog.

December_Rain, I gave your last post a star because you hit the nail on the head: animals are innocent, like a baby depending on us. We have a resposibility to them and in return they love and protect us and put us first in their hearts.

Even the death penalty doesn't seem harsh enough for this guy. Aside from the fact it is well known if someone can do this to an animal they probably can and will do it to a human victim. Almost all serial killers have an anaimal cruelty background.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

i very much agree with you there. I think that this guy should get more punishment than what the maximum is. If you were to kill a human in that way...the punishment would be much much more severe than 3 years in jail, and 1 of probation.

i agree that its so much more upsetting to see animals get treated this way because its not their fault, they've done absolutely nothing to warrant this kind of awful treatment. they do have an innocence and a warmth to them, much like a child. truly a sad situation.

i just joined the group, signed the petition and posted it in my status so hopefully more people will help

[edit on 25-1-2010 by devilishlyangelic23]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I am appalled by what was done to that animal, but sadly, it is not a surprise. People can be quite vicious to those that are weak and defenseless. Who was this dog stolen from, because all it said is that Ms Lockhart stole it from Delta? What is that, a pet shop or town? That is a little vague? Why did the women steal the dog just to give it to her brother to torture and kill? Did she have a sadistic impulse or something? It doesn't make sense to me. . .

These kind of things never do? However, they seem to be more prevalent than I can recall. People are losing their marbles. I am not kidding with that either! How should these two animals be dealt with, I have no idea? However, they need some serious psychiatric counseling, because if they could do that to a dog, what is to stop them from doing that to a person?

They ran that animal to death and dumped it on the side of the road like a piece of garbage. Who gets pleasure from something like that, but a monster. Where is the humanity? I ask my self that question all the time, because I don't like what mankind is becoming. It only seems to be getting worse. I have no answers, solutions, or even adequate punishment for the likes of people in the story. I know one thing, I am shocked at this form of cruelty and dastardly behavior! However, the same thing has been done to our own in the past, and most assuredly in the future, as well.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
A few years ago we had a rapist in our area. The reward leading to the arrest and conviction of the rapist was $1500. During the search for the rapist, a cat was found that had been shot several times with a paintball gun. The reward for the person who shot the cat was $10,000.

Kind of makes a statement.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It disgusts me when people carry out acts like this, if he is capable of doing this to a dog then I believe he could do it to a person. I think a lengthy jail sentence would be correct for this crime.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
We need to eliminate such irredeemable scum from our gene pool.

[edit on 25-1-2010 by Grumble]

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Hundred percent agree with you. Not only enforce stricter law but it should be consistent as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yes, this was wrong.. this was horrible.. this guy deserves a strong max penalty.

But what shocks me more, is 100,000 petitions can get behind this silly non important by comparison issue but we cannot get 100,000 petitions to oust the corrupt President and members of Congress, the House and Senate.

That's the bigger more shocking story here.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Hundred percent agree with you. Not only enforce stricter law but it should be consistent as well.

Sorry had to edit my reply when I realised that it was not very clear..

A person in my town got cross with his dog, he put the lead on it, hung it over a door so it's feet we're inches off the ground, shut the door and went out, leaving the dog to strangle to death, which is estimated at taking most of the day, this case didn't hit the media and the punishment was a 5 year ban from owning a dog.. it's just not good enough..

We need consistent laws for the treatment of animals and humans that means those that commit these crimes are not let off with slapped wrists or escape heavy punishments if they are not news worthy..

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
This story and any time I hear about this kind of stuff always Turns my Stomach.

Even if you're not an animal or pet person you have to see the complete lack of compassion in this event. What's wrong with people? I as many here have already stated hope he gets what he deserves.

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
hate stories like this, really leaves me with a nagging feeling in my gut, and if I am being honest, I would love this guy to get one helluva beating from which he never recovers.

The problem is the hypocrisy in all this, we will stuff our faces with KFC and McDonalds all sourced on the suffering of millions of animals kept in terrible conditions and often suffering painful deaths.............before we even consider the backward Jewish and Muslim "culture" which bizzarrely has issues with an animal being stunned

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Just goes to show that people get really REALLY upset by someone killing an animal ( of which I must admit - its never great to kill an animal), but this 'petition' shows that if the authorities give it any form of coverage but not a petition to rid the world of bankster fraudsters then its just goes to show that the people are dumb and the Governments know it.

" Poor animal being dragged to death, hey my families on the streets due to banskster foreclosure, and we're starving but a poor animal was killed by some unscrupulous uncaring person so jail the animal cruelty guy but ignore someone who caused misery to hundreds of thousands of people."

Dumb animals? I say DUMB PEOPLE !

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Dumb people yes, because they are dumb to not start a petition themselves and come and write in threads what other people are not doing.

Hypocrisy, yes hypocrites who don;t mind hundred's of politics related thread on ATS but find 1 single thread which talks about human cruelty, go there and talk about how its hypocrisy we are not discussing in other 99 threads.

So yes DUMB HYPOCRITES !

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would say prison is not the answer, the guy needs mental health help. Prison time would only reinforce his terrible attitude towards living beings.
Still, a part of me wants to see him sit in jail for a while.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join