It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


*NEW SPONGE* Chemical Odor

page: 1

log in


posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 07:59 PM
Well, i just opened a package of new sponges to clean the dishes with. "Americas Choice" I notice the sponges are damp and there is a chemical smell coming off of them. I opened another package to see if it were just a leak in the plastic, but the same smell and dampness.

Could this be dangerous to clean your dishes with??

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:01 PM
Most sponges have that now days, I think its an anti-bacterial. At least I always assumed it was.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:19 PM


posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:37 PM
reply to post by EyeOnYou

I am not implying that the "Government" is putting it there..
All im saying is that these companies do not really care what they are exposing us to. It could be anything, mabye something to keep the sponge from breaking down, but it can also be dangerous to my girlfriends and my health. As well as the rest of you. Im just bringing it to light.

Look at Cereal, they state on the NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION that theres no TRANS FATS. Yet right in the ingredients it says there is Partially Hydrogenated Oils- Trans fats.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 08:59 PM
yeah all it is is an anti-bacterial agent, it als maes the spong feel nice and cool and clean

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 09:02 PM
Huh... I've never noticed that before. Must be certain brands.

If you're concerned, try wetting the sponge and than putting it in the microwave for a minute (or so) should "kill" whatever is on there. Also good to do every once in awhile so that germs don't collect in it.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM


posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 01:40 PM
OK guys, I have seen a couple of posts now that are clearly teasing/making fun of the OP. STOP!

The OP has asked a genuine question and is looking for answers. ATS is a community filled with people who are bigger than that! We do not attack other people on ATS.

Post intelligently, politely, civilly and on topic at all times.

That is all.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:06 PM


posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 02:12 PM


posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
reply to post by sgrrsh26

That is a very good question and you have a vaild concern. I have seen sponges like you describe. It has always been in synthetic sponge that I have found this chemical smell.

Well, it is a chemical. It is an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal known as, Triclosan.

Here is some information on Triclosan for you.

It is a chemical that is regulated by the FDA, EPA and the EU...

Also, you may be surprised to hear that Triclosan is in quite a few products. It can be found in deodorants, toothpastes, shaving creams, mouth wash, and even cleaning supplies such as sponges... It is also being put into an increasing amount of products such as kitchen utensils, toys, bedding, socks and trash bags...

Now is it harmful for you? Well, there are people who think it can be... For example a doctor. Stewart Levy, stated in an article that over use of the chemical can actually have the opposite affect, creating a larger strain of bacteria.

In August 2009, the Canadian Medical association asked the Canadian government to ban Triclosan under concerns that the chemical could create bacterial resistance...and that it may produce dangerous side products ( Chloroform...)

Now, the University of Michigan School of Public Health, indicated that plain soap is just as effective as consumer grade anti-bacterial soaps with triclosans, in preventing illness and spread of bacteria...

Now, again I found all the above information here

please check it out for yourself as well.

So in my humble opinion, I would say that if you can help it, buy only sponges that do not contain this chemical. Every once in a while just clean your sponge out.

As has been suggested, get it moist and put it in the microwave for a bit, as that kills any bacteria that is on the sponge.... Also, after each use you may want to soap it up ( Using plain soap) and wash it out in the sink, to keep the sponge as clean as possible...

I hope this helps answer your question.

[edit on 22-1-2010 by gimme_some_truth]

top topics


log in