It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil Americans, Or Our We?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

"As Haiti slowly recovers from last week's earthquake, nearly $400 million has been donated by countries, individuals and organizations to the devastated nation, accordign to United Nations documents.

But the goodwill has been far from balanced. India, which has one of the world's largest gross domestic products, has donated $1 million, a figure matched or eclipsed by much smaller economies like the Czech Republic ($1.1 million), Botswana ($1.1 million) and Senegal ($1 million).

And those donations have been matched or topped by individuals like Bill Gates, Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt.

The United States leads the way among developed nations with $114.5 million donated as of Wednesday, according to the U.N. That's more than 28 percent of the $397 million donated to rebuild the impoverished Caribbean nation. The United Kingdom and France are next with more than $30.9 million and $16.8 million donated, respectively. Australia ($13.4 million) and Italy ($8.7 million) round out the top five donating countries.

Another $951 million has been pledged from other nations."

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Americans are pretty cool.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know there are hundreds of other threads related to Haiti. But I have to ask this question? What other country can do what we do? I have not seen any other nation rise to the occasion whenever there is a natural disaster, like this or the tsunami.

Our government is horrible, but we the people provide (taxes) more aid to any poverty stricken nations, than any nation in the world.

On the US military has the Logistical experience to do what it’s doing in Haiti, yes its slow, but if we were not there it may be non-existent....

If only we could topple are own government it would be good.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I don't know, but it seems many of them cannot spell. Try using a spellchecker. People will take you more seriously.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't think my fellow citizens are Intrinsically evil. But by being so disunited we tend to let our government get away with running roughshod over us and others. With the exception of natural disasters our track record is not very good. It is in SOMEONES best interest that we remain apathetic and disunited.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

What is spelled wrong? The article was pulled directly from the source, and I spell checked my own work. However the point is America gives more Aid then the rest of the world.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Eh?? The EU pledged/donated $575million Source

Not trying to say that you are being outdone here.. just pointing out that everyone is doing their part.

And btw, the US media just doesn't acknowledge the EU or its actions.. its a part of the US policy of ignoring it as an entity lol - it makes it easier to push the "Best Country" slogan lol It seems to work as well, most of you guys don't even realize how much it does.

[edit on 20/1/10 by Dermo]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Everytime I hear about how bad the U.S. is I have to wonder if they actually know what they are saying. The link above says that a 13 yo girl in Saudi Arabia was sentenced to 90 lashes and two years in prison for having a cell phone. The worst thing to me about the U.S. is that we keep doing business with these a**holes. As far as rights go, I think we got it pretty good. Really wish they would push this alternative energy thing though so we can really take it to the leaders in the middle east. Or start purchasing all of our gas from Canada (if they have enough).

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Not being an American yet having my son and daughter and wife all being American I have seen how Americans are viewed from both sides of the coin.

Overall I would have to say that American`s are given a very bad rap as I have traveled as an American as well as a national of other countries so I have experienced this in the most perverse ways when traveling as an American.

While living in America I have always been treated well by all races as well as all groups.

Overall I would give the USA a thumbs up as the people still believe in the American ideal.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

You are correct the E.U has donated pledge 575 Mil dollars. (this was not a gig at the EU) But a a gig at those who say we do no good, when in fact Chavez, Iran, China, and Russia have contributed little or nothing at all.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Pardon me for pointing this to you, your tittle is wrong, you should have posted The generosity of the American people.

We Americans are not evil we have never been evil and we will never be, at least for the biggest majority ( evil does exist within categories) .

Now when you talk about big interest, government agendas and our politricks, then I can tell you about evilness

But we the people are not.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I have always wondered if the shoe was on the other foot and say the UK or the USA had nothing how many countries would send help.

Would say any of the African states if they where the leading power in the world give away so much money, time and resources to the USA?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
America should be commened for its actions in a very difficult operating scenario. Lets just hope we don't see the take over of Haiti by the corporations, who wish to impose their version of the future for Haiti

link   
reply to post by marg6043

Of course we are not evil, we the people that is. Our Goverment is something else, as well as what you have mentioned... I do think its time to take this country back from these groups.

link   
reply to post by jpmail

Yes, I believe they would.

Case in point... the generosity offered to the US during the Katrina catastrophe...

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

We (US/EU) are the world leaders after all.. the ones with the money. When the chips are down, BRIC will take us for everything we have.

I can't understand why Russia and China are being so tight.. even Palestinians in Gaza have donated www.euronews.net...

[edit on 20/1/10 by Dermo]

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

There is evil everywhere, and I am sure there are evil Americans out there too same like Evil Iranian, Evil Britisher, Eveil Romans etc at the same time there are good too. It's funny though Fox didn't let this crisis go waste to ask such a rhetorical questions.

Would Fox have asked this question when Abu Gharib scandal came out or when Iraq War was started, you would have got different reply.

The foreign policy of America is certainly skewed which does not present a good picture of USA globally in the long run.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
No offense but what exactly is the point of this thread?

America has donated a load of money to Haiti and so have many other countries, which is great.

What has this to do with America being evil?

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I also think the thread title is off, should change evil to arrogant. I always thought the American people were getting a bum rap with the reputation of being arrogant, I thought it was their government's attitude that misrepresented them. Well this thread, and a few other similar ones about how wonderful the Americans are have changed my mind. I realize reading some of these comments how wrong I was, it would seem that the reputation of arrogance is well deserved as many seem to believe they are way above everybody else on this planet.

Sorry to rant and run but I really have to get off now and make supper but I'll be back for my lashing.

Peace

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnil
I also think the thread title is off, should change evil to arrogant. I always thought the American people were getting a bum rap with the reputation of being arrogant, I thought it was their government's attitude that misrepresented them. Well this thread, and a few other similar ones about how wonderful the Americans are have changed my mind. I realize reading some of these comments how wrong I was, it would seem that the reputation of arrogance is well deserved as many seem to believe they are way above everybody else on this planet.

Sorry to rant and run but I really have to get off now and make supper but I'll be back for my lashing.

Peace

Honestly the reason we always come off as arrogant is because we get that bum rap. We have to sit and listen to the MSM bash us daily about the bad decisions that we supposedly make and then they pan out to other countries that are protesting us. Heck I always figured we were just like everyone else. We got urban, rural, rich, poor, etc. Me personally, I just get tired of turning on the news and getting the scenes of our terrible atrocities (some true, some exaggerated) across the world. I believe this is one reason that foxnews is so popular over here. With the rest of the MSM portraying us in a negative light constantly, fox seems to liberally (pun intended) spread the goodwill about the U.S. Hope this sheds some light on things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join