It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having a prophetic event in the present

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
So, I was discussing this one topic with a friend. If a prophetic event happened NOW (I.e. Second coming of Christ), do you think that it would be well recorded for years to come? The point I brought up is that many controversies/misconceptions from the bible stem from lack of evidence or distorted meaning over the years. I feel that after 2000+ years, it's largely lost most of it's original content.

If something like that happened today (like Christ suddenly coming down from the heavens) would it be much better documented than the bible? I think about how connected the Internet has made us, and how we all have cameras $ camcorders in our pockets (cell phones). Regardless of future catastrophies, video documentation would be around for centuries!! Students 2000 years from now could be watching our video shot from an iPhone!

What do you guys think? IF something prophetic happened NOW, would it go much better documented? I'm not debating whether it'll happen, I'm debating IF (hypothetically).

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Thats quite a difficult question to answer with a precise explanation.

It depends on what understanding you get from the scriptures, some people believe the world will end, some people believe a new beginning will occur, some do not understand any of it etc.

As you say though, if it did happen there will be no shadow of doubt (for anyone who knows scripture) when it does. Documenting the second coming would not be an easy thing after all the coming tribulations that the bible tells of but then again it depends on what you are speaking about specifically as there are different texts. Maybe refer a bit more to what you mean or what you are referring too if you dont mind? For example, revelations or another text etc?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

[edit on 15-1-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Yes, it probably would be recorded and remembered. I mean the bible, a bunch of dead sea scrolls survived 2000 years! This post will probably survive for centuries in some forgotten database, so why would some massive worldwide miraculous event not?

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Interesting thread...

There is an inherent risk with technology. What if the Earth hits a major depopulation event, as these things tend to happen every so many thousands of years or so? Could technology live beyond such an event? If technology did manage to live beyond a major event, what medium will information be stored on? If a CD or flash memory or hard drive, I would say good luck getting info off of it. (Unless it was kept in a very very safe, cool, dark and dry place for hundreds of years).

You see, I do not expect things to remain "wired" as things are now. On the one hand, some people think that our current technology base will continue its current growth rate and we will have a digital everything in the future. This leads to singularity which is when machine will outperform man and will be able to create on its own. From there, technology will become its own entity "living" outside of man's control and who knows what happens after that.

On the other hand, I feel that either:
1. A major event will fry enough technology to make it prohibitive to re-build (major solar storm, critical systemic infrastructure failure, mini ice age, falling empires/societies/civilizations)
or
2. mankind will depopulate enough to make technology unmaintainable
or
3. We will no longer have the same priorities in the future and will just walk away from technology.

In any of those examples, you do not have an archive of the digital content, and you will not have record of events. No means of digital medium that I know of is capable of living hundreds to thousands of years.

I have often pondered the future of technology and where it is bringing us. Keeping growth rates of technology in mind, I find it preposterous that we are not already discussing how to build a global utopia in 20 years.

I predict that technology becomes so powerful and civilization becomes so "human"* that we kill ourselves off within 100 years.

*By "human" I mean the "me first" attitude which drives greed, war, and inequality.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

Thats quite a difficult question to answer with a precise explanation.

It depends on what understanding you get from the scriptures, some people believe the world will end, some people believe a new beginning will occur, some do not understand any of it etc.

As you say though, if it did happen there will be no shadow of doubt (for anyone who knows scripture) when it does. Documenting the second coming would not be an easy thing after all the coming tribulations that the bible tells of but then again it depends on what you are speaking about specifically as there are different texts. Maybe refer a bit more to what you mean or what you are referring too if you dont mind? For example, revelations or another text etc?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

[edit on 15-1-2010 by XXXN3O]

What I mean by if that if there would be a second coming, or something similiar, would it be well recorded with modern technology for the future?

In other words, when the original bible was written, they only had eyewitness accounts and caliagraphers to document the evidence. If Christ came down and was visible in even a medium sized area, thousands of eyewitness reports would be piled on top of hundreds of cell phone videos. Remember that spiral over Norway a while back? It was visible for only 1 minute, yet there were dozens of cell phone videos, some that went viral in less than 10 minutes after being uploaded.

A huge amount of video evidence would be preserved. As soon as a video would be uploaded, it would be preserved on countless servers for google, YouTube, facebook. And as the view count goes up, it's saved in more and more user's cache's. Now this wouldn't really matter if armageddon was the next day, but if a video has 50,000 views (many viral videos are over 500,000 by day 2), you can account that possibly even a few hundred people would save the video to a hard copy (in a podcast, on flashdrive, sent in email, etc.). Out of those, even a few dozen may have the video for years to come. And you forget technology is progressing. Even if a raw video file would last only 15 years, in 15 years we could convert that file into another format that lasts 50 years! 

My point is that in the current age if technology and communication, our records and documentation is better than the ancients even dreamed of! If we save even 12% of video documentation for such an event, we'd likely be dealing with hundreds of videos.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Im gonna go a bit off topic (albeit not by much....) and say that with the amount of skepticism and frauds out there claiming to be jesus's reincarnation.... if it really did come to pass, would we believe it?? Would we even know that its the real jesus?? Would we be expected to just take it in faith?? Cuz if that were the case, there have been literally dozens of people claiming to be jesus. I was pretty sure there could be only 1 jesus. Anyway, just my 2 cents saying that if it did happen... its doubtful anyone would even notice in this age of ufo's, demon and paranormal beliefs.
-Z-

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZyPHeR
Im gonna go a bit off topic (albeit not by much....) and say that with the amount of skepticism and frauds out there claiming to be jesus's reincarnation.... if it really did come to pass, would we believe it?? Would we even know that its the real jesus?? Would we be expected to just take it in faith?? Cuz if that were the case, there have been literally dozens of people claiming to be jesus. I was pretty sure there could be only 1 jesus. Anyway, just my 2 cents saying that if it did happen... its doubtful anyone would even notice in this age of ufo's, demon and paranormal beliefs.
-Z-

My scenario is that if it was blatantly obvious (i.e. jesus comes down from a chariot followed by angels)

Idk, i think many people would believe it, but some may not. Remember the Norway Spiral? Maybe it would be something along those lines, where it can be interpreted many different ways (although the official explanation made me lol at how bogus it was).

new topics

top topics

join