It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women who wear burkas on the street in France face fines of £700

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Women who wear burkas on the street in France face fines of £700

www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Women who wear Islamic veils in public in France face a £700 fine under strict new laws being proposed. The amount could be doubled for Muslim men who force female members of their family to cover their faces.

[edit on 8/1/2010 by serbsta]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Is this too extreme?

Is this necessary?

On the one hand I can see why the French authorities would put laws in place for this, it is related to many identity/security issues. On the other hand I am a supporter of free will and the freedom to practice faith as long as it doesn't put another human being in harms way. What do you think?

More from the source:

Mr Sarkozy has called burkas ‘a sign of subservience that imprison women’, while immigration minister Eric Besson described them as ‘an affront to national identity’.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 8/1/2010 by serbsta]

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Its a shame here in Britain we are the exact opposite. Its a bit extreme but at-least they are defending their country and their values unlike here.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Good.

It's called assimilation, something we should try over here in the states.

Keeping a national identity when you're being taken over by other cultures (intentional or not) is a hard thing to do and if you want to stay the same country, it's essential.

Also, France seems to be trying to make it well known they respect women lately; bully for them.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Mr Headshot]

+28 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Prime Minister John Howard - Australia Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks. Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians.' 'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom' 'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!' 'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.' 'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.' 'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.' 'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

If I moved to a foreign country I would live by those rules and ideals. After all, I chose to move there. People that come to Canada and then try to change Canada to the country they just moved from irks me. If it's laws and Ideals were soo great then why didn't you stay there. I'm all for immigration and living in an integrated society. I just don't like people trying to change this country to the one they just moved from.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DEEZNUTZ

[*SNIP*] How can you say something like that without first living in one of these countries and experiencing the atrocities first hand? Moving shouldn't mean giving up your heritage, people shouldn't assimilate just because others are afraid of change. We need more diversity, not for everyone to be a blank generic clone of one nation.

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

[edit on 1/8/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Occy Anonymous

i agree, this is bull . . . i guess whoever has the big stick gets to decide whos culture is right, and who's culture is wrong . . .

shameful.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous

You are an idiot, How can you say something like that without first living in one of these countries and experiencing the atrocities first hand? Moving shouldn't mean giving up your heritage, people shouldn't assimilate just because others are afraid of change. We need more diversity, not for everyone to be a blank generic clone of one nation.

wait let me get this straight, they shouldn't have to give up their culture... but we have to give up ours... ooookkkkk

[edit on 8-1-2010 by purplemonkey]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Your missing my point. I think that most of our laws are fair and balanced for all. However, several religions that are prominent and are spreading we'll say the BIG 3 are infiltrating our governments more and more. I for one believe in seperation of church and state. In Muslim countries they are intertwined and they then want those types of laws implemented in their new countries. Some contradict current laws of said country with respect to women.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

More diversity means no diversity

We'll all burn in the melting pot together.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkey

how are u in any way giving up your own culture? this is one world, one people who are all different but the same, they shouldn't have to give up their cultures to suit others. You can still have you culture so long as it doesn't include bigotry or racism.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well done to France.
Ultimately it's good for women too. Let's not kid ourselves that all of them want it. And in some cases it is no more than an 'Up yours, I am different' gesture. It's a 'statement' that we are seeing more and more on the streets of Britain.
Plus it is such a bar to effective communication imo.
This is the UK. It is not and never will be an Islamic nation. The backlash has started and I hope we follow the lead.
Vive la France!

[edit on 8-1-2010 by unicorn1]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
People actually support this crap? What? People don't like freedoms anymore?

The ironic thing is that women can lay on a French beach, topless. Yet, covering up ones body is illegal?

Way to be morally superior, France.

Somebody said that France is supporting women by doing this. Um.. How is it supporting women's rights, but limiting what they can wear? I think it's sick that they made these laws, but even sicker that people in US/UK support them.

You think that everybody comes to a country should "assimilate"? You think all people should act and dress western, or else they don't belong? Did the Europeans that came to the US decide to wear moccasins, put on a head dress, and live in a tepee? Heck no.

Did the Irish that came here give up their heritage? Should wearing kilts be banned? What about those horrible parades they hold where they have pride in a heritage that's different from MTV? Those should be illegal too huh?

Everybody has be a good little consumer and wear western clothes, or else they don't deserve to live... I forgot

BTW, It's a bull# argument to say that "the women want it anyway". Shouldn't you let them decide what they want? I know plenty of Muslim women that LOVE to wear their covering garments, out of respect for themselves. It's part of the religion, and believe it or not, lots of women are Muslim because they truly believe in it, not cause a man makes them believe it. It's their own choice.

It shouldn't be any countries right to decide what people can and can't wear.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by seattletruth]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

No, I completely there should be more protection for women, but a burka is not abusive. While it should be the womans choice to wear one, she shouldn't be forced to not wear one. For some people their faith is more important then anything else.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Quit being a child. Nobody is forcing these people to go to France and there are muslim countries which aren't that bad. If they want that culture not go to where that culture is the norm?

It is very unfortuneate that this world doesn't work like a John Lennon song, but that is the way it is.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

No, it should be unity through diversity. We may all become one but we will at least retain individuality, if it were up to these people we'd all be exactly alike in every way.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by seattletruth

This is a statement that could only be made by someone who does not have to live in or adjacent to a Muslim area. Look up the phrase 'cuckoo in the nest'.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Occy Anonymous
reply to post by purplemonkey

how are u in any way giving up your own culture? this is one world, one people who are all different but the same, they shouldn't have to give up their cultures to suit others. You can still have you culture so long as it doesn't include bigotry or racism.

why can't i have a 'racist' culture... because you think it's wrong??? and why are you right?

enough with your cultural imperialism

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

So your saying that muslims should all live in muslim countries, and not be allowed out????

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by seattletruth
You think that everybody comes to a country should "assimilate"? You think all people should act and dress western, or else they don't belong? Did the Europeans that came to the US decide to wear moccasins, put on a head dress, and live in a tepee? Heck no.

And look at what happened to the people who wore the moccasins, put on head dresses and lived in tepees.....notice they were almost made extinct and a humongous chunk of those cultures was lost forever.

nice way to defeat your own argument.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join