It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama effigy hanged in Jimmy Carter's home town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Okay this is looking alittle bit out of control.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The US Secret Service says it is investigating after an effigy of Barack Obama was found hanging in the home town of former President Jimmy Carter.

TV footage showed the doll hanging by a noose in front of a red, white and blue sign that reads "Plains, Georgia. Home of Jimmy Carter, our 39th President".

Witnesses said the effigy had President Obama's name on it.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-1-2010 by HappilyEverAfter]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
In a little town like that. No, I think this is more deflection......bring up race again and they won't notice health care behind closed doors, Yemen, Nancy and the rest.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Isnt this amazing?
Little Ol Plains Georgia.
Demographics
As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 637 people, 215 households, and 136 families residing in the city. The population density was 780.0 people per square mile (299.9/km²). There were 244 housing units at an average density of 298.8/sq mi (114.9/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 38.62% White, 59.81% African American, 1.26% from other races, and 0.31% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.83% of the population. There were 215 households out of which 25.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.7% were married couples living together, 24.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.3% were non-families. 34.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.50 and the average family size was 3.31.

In the city the population was spread out with 24.6% under the age of 18, 8.5% from 18 to 24, 16.5% from 25 to 44, 20.3% from 45 to 64, and 30.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 45 years. For every 100 females there were 69.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 58.9 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $26,719, and the median income for a family was $29,375. Males had a median income of $24,375 versus $16,406 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,602. About 22.2% of families and 25.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 47.2% of those under age 18 and 17.3% of those age 65 or over.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HappilyEverAfter

In other words...black, white, hispanic, purple, yellow, it doesn't much matter anymore the color of their skin or where they live...they are all fed up with his performance thus far!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Racism? Yeah like when Bush was burned in effigy SO MANY TIMES?
Ben and Jerry Burn Bush

Not that I disaggreed.

The Stamp Act brought colonial Americans to the same demonstrations in 1765!!!
And were condoned by Washington, Franklin, at al.......
The Stamp Act

Violent reactions to the Stamp Act began to occur throughout the colonies. A mob in Boston hung the stamp distributor in effigy, then beheaded the effigy and "stamped" it to pieces before shattering the windows of his home, destroying his furniture, and tearing out the paneling. The stamp distributor in Newport, Rhode Island, also lost his home, and one in Maryland was so upset upon seeing his store pulled down that he rode off in panic.

Effigy of George Mercer hanged

In Virginia, Richard Henry Lee, who opposed the Stamp Act even before it was enacted, demonstrated against the Stamp Act in September of 1765. His slaves led a procession, which carried effigies of George Mercer, Virginia's stamp distributor. The effigies were hanged at the end of the day, then hanged again the next day and burned after Lee read a satirical "dying speech of George Mercer." [Ironically, it was later revealed that Richard Henry Lee had applied for the job of stamp distributor, but that George Mercer had been chosen for the post.] When Mercer actually arrived in Virginia at the end of October 1765, he was met by angry crowds in both Hampton and Williamsburg. Like the stamp distributors in other colonies who faced such mobs, Mercer resigned the next day.

What about protected free speech?
When it was Bush, it was applauded by the left, now it's hate-speech?
volokh.com...

This is a NEW CONCEPT to many! Please read!

So it is understandable that a nation that so often used symbolic expression as part of politics would see the freedom of speech and press as covering symbolic expression to the same extent as verbal or printed expression. Likewise, it makes sense that the protection for symbolic expression on the Supreme Court dates back to the very first Supreme Court decision striking down any government action on free speech or free press grounds. The Court in that 1931 case simply casually assumed that symbolic expression was as protected as verbal expression, and treated the display of a red flag as legally tantamount to antigovernment speech. But its assumption was consistent with the First Amendment’s original meaning: The equivalence of symbolic expression and verbal expression has been part of American practice -- and, as I’ll try to show below, American law -- since the Framing era.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I really dont know what to say since I wasnt a fan of Bush either, and the edinburgh clips protesting the war I get it, the little kids in anchorage lighting up a bush doll, i get it... yet I'm still not comfortable with the level of hanging obama from a store front roof top in plains georgia. it's not that I "feel" anything over it, I just see it as kindling wood and I never implied race, although that is the popular first response now.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

But you DID imply race...you just don't want to think you did. This is the conditioning of jerkoffs like Al Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson. ANYTHING done to a white man or woman is NOT racist. ANYTHING done to a black man, or now even a minority, IS racist. They focused on events from 50 years ago to make you and others still feel guilty about what occured IN THE PAST and continue to use that as their argument for the present and future.

Instead of seeing people hating on OBAMA the president, like MILLIONS hated on BUSH the president...ANYTHING that happens now is seen as hating on a black man/minority.....its sad...actually boarder line pathetic. As clearskies pointed out with just a sliver of videos...BUSH got the SAME treatment...just NO sympathy....and now because the guy who is ruining our nation is black he somehow should be exempt from people showing their displeasure....I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Why would it be kindling wood other than the race thing?
Just asking.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

Why would it be kindling wood other than the race thing?
Just asking.

I thought because it was the POTUS initially, then OP brought up race, which I did not think of initially.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

This didnt come from a large populace, it wasnt tied to an event, there was no reason for direct response like this to something that happened, its just the flavor of the general mood. If there needs to be a compare to Bush, then I ask did something like this happen in Bushes first year?
It took a while for him to receive this, and I'm in no way saying he was good, far from it.
The Obama followers that I gauge from, just in my area have turned, and turned hard. The subject matter and topic of discussions are verbally violent. So to answer your question, it is only my opinion, through life experience, that when things turn this hot this fast with a considerable amount of time left on his watch, with conditions the way they are in decay, it's kindling, drying more and more, getting hotter, and waiting for the right spark.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

No where did I bring up race. Race was mentioned in the video posting remarks. If there needs to be race inserted into this, then let it be the human race, and the behavior of all of its kind.
Maybe a focus on how race doesnt matter when those in power with the ability to do good choose to ignore those of the same race with less socioeconomic value.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I agree with that. I think the reason for the seeemingly quick backlash, or turn, is people know that they're going to have to put up with Obama the same way they did with Bush, and they're pissed. They thought "k well we'll wait till bush leaves, then put someone in who'll change", then, of course, there was no change brought by the new candidate.
I'm leaning towards Obama being a good person, who bit off a piece of meat way larger than he expected.
We all knw why Obama is powerless, hopefully this nonsensical turnaround in his policies will cause people to educate themselves as well as hang likenesses from heights. Or instead of, even better.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

IMO that wouldn't be good enough reason to report on it. See Bush burnings above. However, if someone was unaware of such things happening then it's understandable.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter

No where did I bring up race. Race was mentioned in the video posting remarks. If there needs to be race inserted into this, then let it be the human race, and the behavior of all of its kind.
Maybe a focus on how race doesnt matter when those in power with the ability to do good choose to ignore those of the same race with less socioeconomic value.

Yes sir I am VERY sorry, I got the impression after reading the post after OP, I was a bit confused.

I was with you up until reading the first post...

Pardon

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

My own personal opinion, he had his aspirations, they had their agenda, we had our problems. He promised hope and change, they advanced their agenda through him, he's now been neutered, we still have our problems,
and its time for their next move. And yes by they, I allude to TPTB.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

IMO that wouldn't be good enough reason to report on it. See Bush burnings above. However, if someone was unaware of such things happening then it's understandable.

IDK, they report on this stuff when it is not racially motivated, rather politically...

here, remember this?

cbs2.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Sounds to me like someone in good ol' Plains, GA is getting nervous BO is going to displace their President as worse in history. Gotta agree, as of right now it is a very tight race.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Bush jr was born into the system, groomed for it, excused and accepted for his lacking and obvious poor portrayal as a leader. He served his grandfathers and fathers agenda, he even used prior advisors and friends. He came from the inside, now here comes Obama, way outside, unknown, promising 100%. Delivering ? Oh I dont know? How much would you say?
How about, less than when he arrived, and the cabinet that was chosen for him, isnt about to let good things happen.
I'm sure there's alot of anger and disappointment yet to come.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red

IDK, they report on this stuff when it is not racially motivated, rather politically...

here, remember this?

cbs2.com...

I don't remember that, but the article suggests it's acceptable and "should be seen as art". Must've been a slow time of day or something. Or maybe they just needed to keep Palin hot in between her public appearances.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You know ya have to wonder at times if there's a guy in the room with a heart-attack inducing gun of whatever sorts whenever he speaks that is deterring him from just saying screw it and blurting out the whole damn scenario.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join