It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't global warming mean it should be getting warmer? And here we might have the coldest winter in 100 years! What!?

You are wrong and ignorant.

And now corrected.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Oh and please everyone should have a basic kit. Water, food that can be eaten dry, a heater, chemical warmers, space blanket etc. This is basic stuff people.

Thank you. I didn't want to declare my interests overtly but a little preparation can go along way.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just so everyone has a context - this winter is nothing compared to the winters of the 1940's and 1950's. My Dad told me a story a little while back about being snowed in for 3 months in Wiltshire - with snow either side of the road being higher than the roof of his car.

They had to be AIRDROPPED supplies! In Wiltshire!

So when you think that this weather is extreme.... really... it's not. It's NORMAL. The media and the government just like to tell us it's extreme so they can tax us more, and remove our liberties more. B*stards.

Anybody ever read the story about how the Thames froze over in London in the late 1800's? They held ice skating parties on the Thames the ice was that thick. That particular 'spell' of cold weather lasted several years, and was connected to a supposed 'stutter' in the North Atlantic Current (associated with the Gulf Stream winds).

Our weather is cyclical in nature, even within decades, we should remember this the next time someone tries to scaremonger us into giving them our money and freedoms.

Parallex.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Completely agree! A couple of weeks ago, when the snow started down south, I walked to work (4 miles) for the first 3 days of my shift cycle, but on the fourth and last day (night shift really...) the snow came down hard that Monday and I rang into work to say the deal was off as I wasn't coming in, due to snow.

Guess what they said? "Can't you put some wellies on and walk in?"

Now, bearing in mind I had done so the previous 3 days, slipping over alot and almost breaking my arm (for the second time this year) I said "No". They got really uppity with me and really tried hard to get me to come in.

I reminded them that they had a duty of care from the moment I left home to the monent I got back and would they accept liability if I did have an accident.

Promptly shut them up, but I cannot believe they were willing to let me walk through heavy snow, without any of the correct gear with no concern for my well being. Like I said, they relented, but there was total ambivalence to the danger one can be in when walking in those conditions, not least from the ice but also the sub-zero temperatures too.

reply to post by Parallex

You're absolutely right about historic weather. Back in the day and ironically before mass car travel, the supposed source of the CO2, winters were proper winters, with lots of snow an absolute guarantee!

Now we get a few inches and it's the end of the world!!

That would the Little Ice Age between the 16th and 19th centuries. Didn't stop us then, after all, we built the worlds largest ever Empire with winters like that!

Seems we were tougher stuff in them days.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Maybe global warming shouldn't be called global warming. Key word being GLOBAL. If the whole GLOBE is not getting warmer, maybe people should start calling it......uhm, nature!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dalepmay

It hasn't been called "Global warming" since I was a kid and that was a LOOOOONG time ago!

It's been called "Climate change" for over a decade now, at least, if not longer.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
It makes me laugh really:

Britain faces coldest winter for 25 years as big freeze causes chaos for millions returning home after Christmas break.

Wow - just look how much snow:

Northern England was deluged with up to 6cm of snow while heavy falls occurred in eastern Scotland with 9cm recorded lying on the ground in Edinburgh last night.

And yet here is a bit of an email I received from my friend in New Brunswick (where I was fortunate enough to spend a year at and loved the snow)...

It is snowing (Sunday 11:15 am). Last night we had around 14 inches of snow (35 cm).

They have snow piled up 8 feet either side of the road and everyone gets on and carries on living. They deal with it and have the infrastructure to deal with it. Early November they all go and get their 'snow' tyres put on their cars.... roads (even rural) are gritted beyond belief.

The UK is funny.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

The Earth has been warming and cooling for millions and millions
of years. It's natural for the our climate to change. It definitely
will not come to a screeching halt.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So hey, I was wandering in for a laugh on Global Warming.. I had to add some things to this list of bs of Global Warming..

UK faces -16c temps.. roughly 3.2f

Here in Minnesota it was said on the news it was -38F also -38.8c
Without windchill its -29F as shown in this map here i pulled off the internet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c9005925c829.jpg[/atsimg]

Link Here

So umm.. If its getting warming globally except the UK, how does that temp in Minnesota fair? considering it is Colder there than in the UK you guys are whining about..

Here where I live is roughly -5F with windchill, where is our warm spell.. We have broken Dec record for snow already the 3rd week of Dec. Anyway Happy Global Warming to all.

Just remember when you have to pay for Cap and Trade you are being scammed. And that other tax they want you to pay for to breathe.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
A Hundred years is a spit in the brass pot of earth time. Make it a few thousand years, and it may have some legs. Just watch, like in the US, some place in Europe will be the hottest it has been in a hundread years in 2010.

Statistics are not based upon extremes. All fundamental cycles have harmonics. We have not accurately recorded weather on this planet long enough to see many of these haromonics.

When observed science has no answer for you, don't let self righteous people make up the difference.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I hope this ain't true, I've had enough of cold weather here lol.

I sure hope the summer makes up for it! I've had enough of the one day it's kind of sunny the next day the sky is grey and it's raining and all crap summers.

London is too grey!

I wish the weather was more like the south of france, I went there and wow they have great summers!....it's just so beautiful over there.
Even Paris was great in the summer.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Wow that sounds bad.

But you gotta remember in the UK wether it gets really hot or really cold it's are REALLY unorganised here and we don't prepare for such things as much. So if it happens the whole country comes to a stand still lol.

We usually just have grey sky normal mild weather and we all get used to it, so when it gets really cold or hot people complain a LOT.

I love it when it gets hot thou, it's not even that hot and people complain lol.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Well here is something for you to ponder on.

The US, typically it don't snow in Tx, La, and so on. It has recently snowed there. The north east usually don't see mad snow till mid end of January, in the past there hasn't been much snow to talk about. As I stated earlier that my area broke its record for snow for dec in the beginning of the 3rd week, I cant remember what stats were because i was watching the local weather.

Now as for this Global warming bs they say everywhere is suppost to be getting warmer but in a lot of cases the temp is lower, That map above of the US is not the same as it was in past years.. We have been where I live around 5 to 10 degrees F under what it should be. So a temp of say 45 we should have been something like 50 to 55..

Today they say we are only going to be around 18F 10 degrees under what it should be. Also so far in January we have had more snow than we have had in the last 4 January's combined I think.

So, if global warming is real where is it, Also another note my friend in china was telling me that he is freezing his ass off because its is on 9c there..

I guess this is just an inconvenient truth to how the earth is in fact not warming but cooling off. So therefore this kinda disproves the whole global warming scam for what its worth considering alot of places in the US are seeing really cold temps.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

And to add to that I just looked on the news and it says that beijing has just had its heaviest snow fall for nearly 60 years. Some people on here are saying that GW is causing the uk to get colder by moving the gulf stream downwards and ice melting into it is making it colder but thats clearly not the case. countries around the world are having record breaking snow and cold temperatures, even parts of spain have had to close down schools due to snowfall. I found it hilarious that all this was happening during the copenhagen summit, the earths got a great sense of humour lol.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   

And how are the temperatures on the southern hemisphere?

Do you know if the average from all (remember the "global") places on Earth (including the water) is above or below the average for this time of year?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Finally I can honestly say that British hospitality is as warm as the weather.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I really don't understand the attitude of some people here.

More snow is coming again!

Yes -16 isn't that much of a deal to all the americans, canadians and what not, but over here we hardly ever get to -5, and all of a sudden here we have -16.

We hardly ever get any snow, a couple of cm maybe once a year.
But all of a sudden we are getting 20cm a day and it keep building up.

We are NOT used to it, the cars dont have snow chains, our cars arent built to drive in snow, the salt and grit supplies are almost all gone.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
Here where I live is roughly -5F with windchill, where is our warm spell..
As far as I understand it, windchill is not used for real measurements.

The only people that I have seen using that word are from North America, so I guess it's something only used there.

But I may be wrong.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Granted. But then why this: Link to site

It's not just Britain. It's the entire northern hemisphere which would kind of equate to a 'global' event to me.

Edit to add: Crap, I only linked the U.S. streak of cold weather. However, it's taking place in Asia and Europe as well as the southern parts of the U.S. that are normally warmer. In other words, at least HALF of the planet.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by dariousg]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

This is a very valid question. But unless the southern hemishere is having record heat I would believe that answer is no, the average temp is not up. Then again, that's an unscientific evaluation.

I'm sure someone will be able to dig up the data if it is available.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join