It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia May Send Spacecraft to Asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Here's a good story!

Russia's space chief said Wednesday his agency will consider sending a spacecraft to a large asteroid to knock it off its path and prevent a possible collision with Earth.

Source

MOSCOW — Russia is considering sending a spacecraft to a large asteroid to knock it off its path and prevent a possible collision with Earth, the head of the country's space agency said Wednesday.

Anatoly Perminov said the space agency will hold a meeting soon to assess a mission to Apophis, telling Golos Rossii radio that it would invite NASA, the European Space Agency, the Chinese space agency and others to join the project once it is finalized.

When the 885-foot asteroid was first discovered in 2004, astronomers estimated the chances of it smashing into Earth in its first flyby in 2029 were as high as 1-in-37, but have since lowered their estimate

This is a good find, I didn't think the Russians cared much about Mother Earth.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
An Asteroid heading for Earth???

OMG?

Why havnt we heard this from the world famous NASA??

I think their Russin into this one.......

Cold war all over again, but with all the shananigans of global warming, perhaps this time it'l be the Warm War,

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

My question is...

Might this be the "false flag" attack? Causing mass panic and paranoia?
Even though its not supposed to happen until 2029...

Or is there a real Asteroid, plummeting out of orbit, straight to Earth?
They say their "inviting" the other agencies to talk, so...

[edit on 30-12-2009 by havok]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
What worries me is if they make a mistake and knock the thing nearer to earth instead

jra

posted on Dec, 31 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Why havnt we heard this from the world famous NASA??

NASA has talked about 99942 Apophis many times in the media before since it was first spotted in 2004.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I just found another article on this;

Russia: We'll Save Earth From Asteroid Space agency confirms secret talks are in works

Russia: We'll Save Earth From Asteroid
Space agency confirms secret talks are in works

(Newser) – A 1,150-foot asteroid on a collision course with Earth could create a France-sized desert in 2036—unless Russian scientists can avert the catastrophe. No, it’s not the plot of a science-fiction movie; the head of Russia’s space agency confirms secret talks are in the works to prevent just such a tragedy, AFP reports. NASA, however, stated back in October the likelihood of a collision had dropped from one-in-45,000 to four-in-a-million.

Still, “we are talking about people's lives,” Russia’s Anatoly Perminov says. “Better to spend a few hundred million dollars to create a system for preventing a collision than to wait until it happens and hundreds of thousands of people are killed.”

www.newser.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KANDINSKI
What worries me is if they make a mistake and knock the thing nearer to earth instead

That would be funny. Well, for about 5 seconds.

They just need to get Bruce Willis on the job and everything will be fine.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by KANDINSKI

I believe that would be my worry as well.

top topics

join