It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many pagans do we have at ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I've noticed alot of pagans here at ATS. I was just wondering how many of the people here at ATS are Pagan/Wiccan etc and what system do you follow? Just for the record, I follow a combination of American Indian/Celtic belief system. Anyone else want to join in?

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I have a lot of respect for wiccan beliefs. I am not any one religion, but I do relate to a lot of Wicca. The Goddess/God aspect I love in particular, plus the use of ritual magic I find fasinating. I used to dabble a bit in magic when I was younger, and learned a lot from Wiccan rituals. Although later on, I began to see things a bit differently, to me its all ways to express the divine, and thier way of expressing it is beautiful.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm a pagan too.

I kinda have my own beliefs system, wich includes parts of Wiccan, Taoism and Buddhist beliefs.

...and a bit of discordianism.

All Hail Eris.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I guess I'm very pagan but I also believe in Jesus sooo...

Heck, I'll admit it--I'm into whatever works.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm an eclectic Wiccan. I've pretty much taken my ideas and ways from the faery/celtic paths.

I've studied about a lot of religion and paganism is the one that resonates best with my soul. It just fits.

I tried getting into Zen, because on the surface I like the idea, but the more I read, the more I just didn't get. Or maybe it just wasn't for me. Maybe because there's just too many of the basic tenets I don't agree with, such as "life is suffering". I do appreciate the idea of being totally "in the moment" though.

But Zen just sounds TOO hard from what I've read lol.

A lot of pagans would probably strongly disagree with this, but I also believe in God and Jesus as well, even though I believe in no Satan. Satan, IMO is a figure of peoples imaginations. Some people need to believe in a supreme punishment and 'Satan' does it for them.

Like I said, I DO believe in God. But God alone is too patriarchal and there's no balance. Everything is male/female so I believe in the Goddess too.

As for Jesus. I have nothing but the highest respect for the Man. I believe he was probably the kindest human being ever to grace our planet, and like all Christians, I love him for that.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat as darkblade, i take apsects from many different faiths and combine my own beliefs..

When i was 14-17 i was really into wicca. I delved more into the Norse/Germanic and Celtic side of things (my dads origins), i tried looking into some Malaysian magic rituals but they were hard to discuss with my relatives there as they are islamic and magic isnt really viewed lightly. So my main influences were northern european.

i still dabble with magic every so often, but what i've realised with prayer and magic, is itsnot the ritual but its the intent and the visualisation of your request that make it happen. Thats why prayer can work and why magic can work, its all about you believing it will work and how much you want it to work...

But beware when dabbling in magic, coz some spells are really hard to un-do

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Actually, techinically I'm a heathen.

I have spent many years seeking what I consider to be the truth. I was brought up Catholic and still have great reverence for the faith, as I do for Jesus but I just find monotheism to be unbalanced.

I have researched Wicca, Lakota spirituality and Asatru (Norse beliefs) and have received many truths from all of them. My own beliefs are a mix of Pixy/Wicca/Norse with a lot of Loki included. Yes, I'm aware that many Asatruar refuse to accept Loki, but his mindset is very similar to my own. So I suppose you can say that I'm a Lokean.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by Pisky]

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I'm a Wiccan and have been for a few years. I was brought up Christian but something didn't gel with me. I think it was the lack of a Goddess figure. Never mind, I found what I needed in Wicca.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Thats one of the main reasons i originally went from Islam to Wicca, the lack of balance in the islamic teachings (as good as they are). I have full respect for Jesus, Mohamed, Moses and all them prophet types, but in the end i think they either got the message wrong, or the people got it wrong. Either way i've moved from wicca now, but i still have alot of influence from it in my current belief, which i like to call Jeffism, as i'm the only one who actually practises my brand of spirituality.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
as i'm the only one who actually practises my brand of spirituality.

In my opinion this is the best way to go about spirituality. What I mean is to get to know God/Goddess on your own terms. Not by just following the herd so to speak. I don't even mean just Christians, Muslims or Jews. I've been to Wiccan rituals before and have seen people just going through the motions and not really knowing why they are doing it. That's why I don't really go for organized religion...it takes away the self involved with spirituality. Not always but I've seen more than not.

By the way...I also believe/have the utmost respect for Jesus, Mohammad (sp?) Moses, et al. I also would never condem another for their spiritual path, be it Christian, Muslim, Jew, Wiccan, etc, because we are all striving for the same thing in the end...just a different method of getting there. Like taking a train instead of a bus or plane, etc. None of the religions are totally 100% true IMHO. My belief is that if you where to combine ALL the religions in the world....including Jeffism (lol)......then you might come a little closer to the real thruth.

Also, your right Special in the warning about practicing magic. As the saying goes...be careful what you wish for, because it just might come true. A short story....I put a shield on my vehicle to be invisible (didn't want any cops pulling me over). Well, after about 3 days of people pulling in front of me, almost blindsiding me, etc, I figured I should change it to only include the police...hehe.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A mutation of quantum physics/string theory, Zen Buddhism/Taoism and Jungian philosophy that I dubbed Neo-Absolution. I believe in a god thing which could be explained as pure energy, but not in any religious or spiritual sense.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
P.A.G.A.N
People Against Goodness And Normalcy

sorry whenever i see the word pagan i think of the movie Dragnet.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
P.A.G.A.N
People Against Goodness And Normalcy

sorry whenever i see the word pagan i think of the movie Dragnet.

Me? I am what I am, an 'ecclectic' wiccan, as KayEm put, would fit quite well...infact very well. I also have alot of pagan beliefs as well as some Christian eliments.

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by LadyCool21]

posted on Jun, 1 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm an eclectic Witch and pagan. Merry Meet and blessed be to all the rest!

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Blessed Be All! I've been a solitary witch since Beltane 1994, and can't even imagine how miserable my life would be without Wicca. I focus more on spirituality and personal growth, than religion. It is my opinion that organized religion is the worst , and most powerful form of evil in existance. To each his own, I guess...

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm a wiccan as well. Eclectic Wiccan to be exact, I follow bits and peices of different traditions. I believe in the God and Goddess and whatnot.

new topics

top topics

join