It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be seeing these Snowstorms if Global Warming was Real?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but deniers definately need to find better arguments.

I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I've lived here all my life.

Our winter came late...and when it finally came, we had a large snow storm. And now, we are having a warm period. Last year at this time it was about 20 degrees celsius colder. But I would never try to use this to try and prove global warming...

Temperatures and climate systems are complicated. You have to take into account things like La Nina, which I would guess could be what is causing unusual patterns that you see north of the equator.

How can anyone deny that Global Warming is occurring (be it natural or man made) according to the studies and data we have? I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as they try to pass this kinda stuff off as evidence.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Nickmare]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Reply to post by Nickmare

How preytell is la nina going to cause RECORD COLD and snow fall as far south as Houston?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
the global teps are well within a normal range thats been going up and down and back up since recorded history of weather. ice caps form, ice caps melt. than guess what happens? they freeze again than melt some more. scare tactics work wonders

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

What do you think is causing the snowfalls in Houston if not La Nina? Global cooling? lol

La Nina cools the pacific. It lowers wind shear values. Storms grow.

The area near the gulf of mexico is prone. El Nino/La Nina, etc. type patterns can intensify hurricane season.

[edit on 20-12-2009 by Nickmare]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Of course. Climate Change is making all the storms around the world exponentially worse as we descend beyond the point of no return toward the ultimate destruction of our planet and extinction of our species

^ I honestly believe there are Climate Hypers out there who believe that doomsday message with all their being. I myself don't see it that way.

But one thing is for sure the slight increase in average temperature is not enough to make a big difference in climate. So there will still be snowstorms.

As the Al Sleet the Hippy Dippy Weatherman would say

"The weather will continue to change on and off for a long long time."

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Yet the cold fronts are coming from the north. And when it come from the south it's warm. Which is normal EXCEPT that it's trending colder when it does get colder. La Nina maybe providing the moisture but not the cold.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Yes, we should, and we will be seeing worse. Global warming creates big storms and big changes in weather.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

the cold would probably come from NW, go south and find pacific moisture, and head east to hit Houston.

Typically La Nina would push the warmer air north, and the colder air south.

Anyway, it gets a lot more complicated, and I don't really care enough to read further into why it happens...I just can't see how it is related to global warming at all. It is weather not climate.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I'm wondering, is our current weather really that 'abnormal'?

My kid is 12 years old and this is the first time in her life she sees snowfall like this (Europe). While I remember back when I was a kid, we had snow like this every winter.
Same for the high temps in summer, it used to be like that every year.

To me, and where I live, it seems that the weather we had in the last 25 years was abnormal and now things are going back to how it was.

This is just my personal observation, I'm not a scientist n'or do I know much about weather patterns and climate change.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Climate is made up of weather. And no the cold front that caused the snow came from Due North and clashed with moisture coming from the NW. It's cold enough to snow right now here, just no moisture right now. It's been trending colder down here.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by munkey66

I agree about the whole manmade thing, but these are some of the worst snowstorms in 20 years. surely in the grip of global warming you would not be getting record breaking snowfalls.

Global Warming does not mean it is just getting hot everywhere evenly. That is not how weather on Earth works.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Firstly, it's winter in the NH!

Global warming will result in lesser cold in winter. But it's still winter, lol. Further, global warming will enhance the ability of the atmosphere to carry water vapour.

There is currently an El Nino in the pacific. This has particular effects on weather in north america.

Precipitation US Nov-Dec El Nino

Temperature US Nov-Dec El Nino

For instance, the last strong El Nino (1998) was associated with ice-storms in Eastern Canada. Globally 1998 was also a very warm year, 2009 will be as well (2nd rank behind 2005), and 2010 is likely to be the warmest in the modern observational record (beating 2005).

[edit on 20-12-2009 by melatonin]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
During my research on the GW idea, and that its not man made, and like anyone else want to know what it is that happening here. I have found this study by svensmark and Alexandra Witze Theory Says Climate Change Depends On Solar Wind/Cosmic Rays This is just one paper released, but its worth pointing our that they had a hell of a job getting in published because the Warmists were so very much against it. but it clearly shows how cosmic rays. the sun and the galaxy are having and effect on the climate, and always have, so what we are seeing now is the result of the sun being less active than would normally be observed, or rather different to what we have observed in the last 20 years or so. It is interesting reading for anyone not seen it yet, and backed up with scientific study and experimentation.

It just goes to show that people like Al Gore denying the sun has any impact on our climate, has not fully looked at the science, and is simply jumping on the band wagon where the money seems to be.

you can see how the relationships between the sun, and the galaxy and the earth and how it is easy to explain why we have snow in abundance now, and that its nothing to do with global warming.

[edit on 12,20,2009 by neo5842]

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

What pounders on my mind is that the weather in Europe was quite warm for the time of the year ...... after the Norway Spiral sighting ... suddenly Europe is stuck in the extreme cold .......
Not colder then some winters in the early 60S though.

Just my cents

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
Hi all,

I would like to pose a question to all those members who are familiar with the whole Global Warming, Climate change scenario.

If we really are in the grip of either Man Made/Natural Global Warming, then why is it that we are getting random, large SnowStorms across different countries?

I have selected stories from all over, from within the last couple of years.

I understand there may be similar stories of drought and heatwave, but surely if everything was heating up, there would not be so much of this winter chaos??

Five dead as snowstorm engulfs US East Coast

Storm-related incidents claimed five lives and forecasters warned of 40mph (64km/h) winds in what may be the worst snowstorm in a decade. Snowfall is due to reach 22in overnight in the Baltimore-Washington DC area, the heaviest since 2003

news.bbc.co.uk...

Heavy snow causes travel chaos in parts of England .

Up to 20cm (8in) fell on Thursday night and many drivers had to spend the night in their cars or abandon vehicles. The AA, the UK's biggest breakdown organisation, said it had been a busy night and morning, with breakdowns coming in at a rate of 1,500 every hour.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Beijing’s Heaviest Snow in 54 Years Strands Thousands .

the heaviest snowfall in the Chinese capital in at least 54 years blanketed the city for the third day this month. China suffered an estimated 151.65 billion yuan ($22 billion) in direct economic losses almost 20 months ago when the country’s south was covered by the most severe snowstorms in five decades.

www.bloomberg.com...

Heaviest snow in 20 years brings large parts of Britain to a halt.

The heaviest snowfall in 20 years has closed thousands of schools and caused transport chaos up the eastern side of Britain, with London and the surrounding areas the hardest hit

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Las Vegas gets heaviest snow fall in 30 years .

The rare winter storm brought the Nevada city to a halt, forcing cancellations to flights and closing major highways

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Heaviest Snow in 18 Years Brings Much of Europe to a Halt.

The British capital ground to a halt on Monday after the worst snowstorm in 18 years caused hundreds of flight cancellations and virtually shut down public transportation

www.foxnews.com...

Ski resorts throughout Europe decided to open this weekend after reports suggested November had the heaviest snowfall in the last decade.

A large amount of snowfall in November has prompted some of Europe’s biggest snow resorts to open ahead of schedule this year. Ski resorts throughout Europe decided to open this weekend after reports suggested November had the heaviest snowfall in the last decade.

Ski slopes in the Alpine have experienced up to 60cm of snow, whilst the Pyrenees has had even more than that. The promising start to the ski holiday season is a welcome boost following suggestions that global warming could affect the multi-million pound business

news.directline-holidays.co.uk...

Heavy Snow Kills Dozens in Asia.

Iranian Red Crescent aid workers help motorists stuck in snow on the Zanjan-Qazvin highway northwest of Tehran.

The heaviest snowfall in the country in more than a decade has killed at least 21 people, the Associated Press reported

news.nationalgeographic.com...

There you have it. theres hundreds more stories all from within the last couple of years too. Looks like some places are getting colder and more snow, rather than getting hotter!!

g.

Global warming causes GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE which brings about MORE SEVERE WEATHER, including snow.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Did you know that Winchester didn't invent the lever action rifle, it was originally the Henry rifle...Winchester took the idea and ran with it. The Russians didn't invent the Christie tank chassis on the T-34 tank, it was originally a British developement, but the Russians too the idea and ran with it. Global Cooling and Global Warming are not caused by man, Al Gore and the like took the idea and ran with it...and hope to make a damn lot of money off of it too, trading carbon credits and such. He would make a great used car salesman...oops, sorry to insult all auto retailers, I apologize.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Cause its december.
end of.

climate change doesnt mean your gonna wake up on the artic one day and its turned into a desert.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

If that is the case, go ahead and suck on a car tailpipe for a while and tell me how you feel.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Norio Hayakawa

I believe that Global Warming could be an exaggeration.
Many have taken advantage of such a concept and are even profiteering on the dire prediction.
You need to watch:
GLOBAL WARMING SCAM EXPOSED ON TV PROGRAM (shown on December 16, 2009):
www.youtube.com...

-----------------------
www.myspace.com...

man that is one of the scariest episodes that i have ever seen in a long time

thanks for the link

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I do not dispute and have no truck with the notion that anecdotes are data. So, indeed, everytime a snowstorm occurs or a day that is colder than the norm, I can consider such occurence to be datapoints.

However, while anecdotes are data, they are not a substitute for understanding the status of the scientific investigation into the phenomenon of climate change.

Scientific explanation does not lend itself to soundbites, so it is pointless to try to convince anyone of anything, based solely on a repition of science datapoints.

To the extent, however, that the debate centers on questioning the validity of the science, the motivation and the sources of bias, that debate is hopeless. There are always sources of bias on all sides of a dispute. For instance, has anyone leaked the private emails of those who oppose the scientific consensus on global warming?

In any event, the fact of the matter is that with respect to global warming:

"Since 2007, no scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion. Some organisations hold non-committal positions."

en.wikipedia.org...

The above quote and source can, of course, lead to a cornicopia of objection, of skepticism, of disputation and so on. And, so be it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join