It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop being so Politically Correct!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

You are correct. I hate every politician. I guess I should worry about offending someone politically.

OH WAIT.

That is what this thread is about. Political Correctness.

If you notice, she has not come back to comment.

I was just using something that a recent asshat has brought into the mix.

Enforced volunteerism. I could care less about what other people think of my positions.

That again, is what this thread is about-Political Correctness.

Yes Obama is a puppet. He chooses to be a puppet. I will not give him or any other POS any slack.

Thanks for trying to diffuse a situation.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Roadblockx

It sounds soooo sensational when you say that a 2nd grader was punished for drawing a picture involving Christian symbolism. Ouch, it's terrible and just downright wrong.

But wait, could it be that the kid was not exactly drawing a Christian symbol, but was rather drawing a picture of himself, dead, on a cross, with X's over his eyes? The kid wasn't punished, he was required to do a psych eval before he was let back into school. If the school did nothing, and that kid pulled out a gun and started shooting people a la Paducha, Columbine, et al., then they would have been martyred on a cross for not recognizing the warning signs.

Funny how you mention in another of your posts on this thread about all those detestable "PC" people that are just pushing things too far. Apparently you have not had any access to the media over recent years with school shootings and how all those derogatory terms that you apparently seek to protect were involved with the treatment of those students by their peers.

Columbine:

Early stories following the shootings charged that school administrators and teachers at Columbine had long condoned a climate of bullying by the so-called jocks or athletes, allowing an atmosphere of outright intimidation and resentment to fester which, they claimed, could have helped trigger the perpetrators' extreme violence.[39] Reportedly, homophobic remarks were directed at Klebold and Harris.[40]wiki

Does the action get excused for the treatment of these children? Of course it doesn't. However, the wish to let people say whatever the hell they want is not a solution to the problems. Let's allow kids to openly spew hate upon their classmates and we'll see some serious consequences.

---

On to Chapel Hill:

Did you even read the rest of that site?

No where in that article is there any mention of Menorahs. As far as the reader knows there are no Menorahs there. The only time Islam is mentioned is this gem:

Totally unacceptable, I think people like this need their head examined. I will say it, I could care what her stupid excuse it, it comes down to wanting to appease Muslims.

Yeah, no issues with that blogger. Where in the world is she even pulling Islam from? It could just as easily have been the fault of Atheists, Jews, or Devotees of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Such a sensible remark from Chapel Hill:

Aside from the fact that a UNC Chapel Hill library is a public facility, Michalak said, libraries are places where information from all corners of the world and all belief systems is offered without judgment. Displaying one particular religion's symbols is antithetical to that philosophy, she said.

Wow. That is an awesome library! A place where all preference of one religion or another is thrown out the window in order to pursue the very point of a library... knowledge??!? Say it ain't so.

What exactly does a Christmas tree have to do with libraries, anyway? Does it shelve books for you? Does it look up a particular book in a magical evergreen card catalog? Perhaps when you walk by the tree goes "Shhhh!" to keep people quiet.

----

Seattle:

This one at least is simple. A Rabbi wanted a big Menorah. The airport refused to oblige. Really nonsensical to say the least, it is the same time of year, and it isn't like a Menorah looks bad near a Christmas tree, aesthetically. Nothing really to do with being politically correct, in fact that case came down to money (lawsuit.)

----

I am not a fan of over the top political correctness, but really. Half of the time it seems as though the very people against "PC" are on their own crusade to be included into political correctness so they can bully around people for their whims as well. The majority of the other half seem to simply want to be able to be as mean to people and as discriminatory as they want just because they have some deity-given right to be so.

What a sad outlook on life that must be.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think it's nice to respect others..

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Actually I'm not a "rabid" anything. People get so carried away with their own determination to create bad motives where none exist, it gets under my skin after a while. It's a witch hunt. Been there done that, passed on the tee shirt.

And to the "narrowminded" poster....I may have been a little on the unfair side with you. Suppose most of my comments were essentially directed to the person I'm responding to now. My bad.

But this is a thread about political correctness. There is a huge opportunity to discuss situations and venues which are pertinent to this issue.
Somehow somebody, endisnighe, always finds a way to disparage and criticize the President whether it is deserved or not. Whether it is true or not. Whether it is pertinent to the thread or not.

Maybe it's a pasttime for the rabid.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Only one comment to make on allot of points that actually do have a degree of truth to them even though i'm personally on a support Xmas rampage...

The kid...

Drew a picture of himself on a cross dead with x's over his eyes and gets sent for a psych evaluation...

That's... to me, imho ridiculous...

I am an artist, I draw some really strange stuff sometimes...

Been stranger as a kid, would have been HIGHLY damaging to send me to shrink for being gothy and creative and even a bit warped in creativity... My imagination has served me my whole life.

In JR High

My Gym Shirt was spray painted to say

"Nuke New Jersey"

Today i'd be accused of terrorism, kind of see this as a fine example of paranoia and PC gone wrong...

Imagining himself as Christ... interesting way to come to terms with a very tragic story

Don't see this as disturbed at all...the news shows worse every day

I am working today for fun on... a Kaiju Giant Monster in Light wave... last thing i did before taking a Hiatus for stretch was a Vampire choking the life out of a Grey...

when this nonsense began...

and it started in the 80's

I have been sent to shrink because I was in possession of a Hypodermic needle (which I used at 15 to to get rid of zits without leaving a mark btw) and my parents thought I was on heroin LOL, because of that, all because of moronic TV commercials...

I was accused of being a Satanist because I played Dungeons and Dragons

Thankfully these things happened when I was a Teenager because I could laugh at it not as a child...

But I do recall once in the third grade...writing a short story in which, I was in a Ball bouncing through a city and smashing all the buildings as I rolled through...

And they sent a note home for my mother that I was expressing Violent emotions LOL

And in the end...

I'm just a nerd at heart with a big imagination that like Monsters

At 39 I have recently started going out to locations of Sasquatch sightings...

So I do...

I do see this as an example of PC gone mad, a stiffing of Creativity and Imagination and a deep going over of thought prior to any actual action...

It is, to me it's kind of Orwellian in nature... thought police

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm fine with everyone displaying their holiday symbology -- Christmas/Hanukah/Quanza

OR, to look at a more international view of December holidays, here's a list I compiled from wiki and others. First though, I want to make a point: What I'd like us to get from this list in not that Christmas is the most predominantly celebration holiday globally in December; What I'd like us to get is that all these countries that make up the world we live in, celebrate WHAT THEY WANT. So WHY, pray tell, should anyone be bullied or leveraged or encouraged to do otherwise? Should I be irritated if I see a holiday I don't observe being celebrated with symbology? Hell no!!! Do what you want, and so will I. I have no respect for businesses that kowtow to PC in the name of the almighty dollar. Now, if they just choose to not observe it, fine with me. That's their right. It's mine too, and yours.

Onward:

Albania - Innocent's Day - 28 DEC
Argentina - Christmas - 25 DEC
Australia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Austria - Christmas - 25 DEC
Bahamas - Christmas -25 DEC
Barbados - Christmas - 25 DEC
Bangladesh - Christmas - 25 DEC 2010 - intermittant
Belgium - Christmas - 25 DEC
Beliz - Christmas -25 DEC
Bermuda - Christmas - 25 DEC
Bhutan - Stelios Boulieris' Day
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Christmas - 25 DEC
Brazil - Christmas - 25 DEC
British Virgin Islands - Christmas - 25 DEC
Bulgaria - Christmas - 25 DEC
Canada - Christmas - 25 DEC
Cayman Islands - Christmas - 25 DEC
Chile - Christmas - 25 DEC
China - no December correlation
Columbia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Costa Rica - Christmas - 25 DEC
Croatia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Cyprus - Christmas - 25 DEC
Czech Republic - Christmas - 25 DEC
Denmark - Christmas - 25 DEC
Dominican Republic - Christmas - 25 DEC
Egypt - Eid al-Adha (sometimes falls in December)
Estonia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Fiji - Christmas - 25 DEC
Finland - Christmas - 25 DEC
France - Noel(Christmas) - 25 DEC
Georgia - no December holiday
Germany - Christmas - 25 DEC
Greece - Hristougenna (Christmas) - 25 DEC
Greenland - Christmas - 25 DEC
Gibraltar - Christmas - 25 DEC
Guatemala - Christmas - 25 DEC
Haiti - Christmas - 25 DEC
Honduras - Christmas - 25 DEC
Hong Kong - Christmas - 25 DEC
Hungary - Christmas - 25 DEC
India - No December holiday
Indonesia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Iran - Eid al-Adha (sometimes falls in December)
Ireland - Christmas - 25 DEC
Israel - Hanukkah - 12 DEC (note: I don't believe this is a public holiday)
Italy - Christmas - 25 DEC
Japan - The Emperor's Birthday - currently celebrated on 23 DEC
Jordan - Christmas - 25 DEC
Kenya - Christmas - 25 DEC
Kyrgyzstan - No December holiday
Latvia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Lebanon - Christmas - 25 DEC
Liechtenstein - Christmas - 25 DEC
Lithuania - Christmas - 25 DEC
Luxembourg - Christmas - 25 DEC
Republic of Macedonia - St. Kliment Ohridski- 08 DEC
Malaysia - Eid al-Adha (sometimes falls in DEC)
Malta - Christmas - 25 DEC
Mexico - Christmas - 25 DEC
Montenegro - No DEC holiday
Myanmar - Christmas - 25 DEC
Namibia - Christmas - 25 DEC
The Netherlands - Sinterklaas - 05 DEC AND Christmas - 25 DEC
New Zealand - Christmas - 25 DEC
Nepal - No December holiday
Norway - Christmas - 25 DEC
Pakistan - Birthday of Muhammad Ali Jinnah AND Christmas - both on 25 DEC
Panama - Christmas - 25 DEC
Peru - Christmas - 25 DEC
Phillipines - Rizal Day - 30 DEC
Poland - Christmas - 25 DEC
Portugal - Christmas - 25 DEC
Puerto Rico - Christmas - 25 DEC
Romania - Christmas - 25 DEC
Russia - The Constitution Day - 12 DEC
Saudia Arabia -
Eid al-Adha (sometimes falls in December)
Serbia:Slava - Sveti Nikola - 19 DEC
Singapore - Christmas - 25 DEC
Slovenia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Solomon Islands - Christmas - 25 DEC
South Africa - Christmas - 25 DEC
South Korea - Christmas - 25 DEC
Sri Lanka - Christmas - 25 DEC
Spain - Christmas - 25 DEC
Sudan - No December holiday
Sweden - Christmas - 25 DEC
Syria - Christmas - 25 DEC
Taiwan - No DEC holiday
Tanzania - Christmas - 25 DEC
Thailand - Constitution Day 10 DEC
Tibet - No DEC holiday
Trinidad and Tobago - Christmas - 25 DEC
Turkey - Eid al-Adha - sometimes falls in December
Turkmenistan - Day of Neutrality - 12 DEC
Vietnam - No DEC holiday
Uganda - Christmas - 25 DEC
Ukraine - No DEC Holiday
United Kingdom and Crown Dependencies - Christmas - 25 DEC
Unites States of America - Christmas - 25 DEC
Uzbekistan - Constitution Day - 08 DEC
Uruguay - Christmas - 25 DEC
Zambia - Christmas - 25 DEC
Zimbabwe - Christmas - 25 DEC

Source

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe

If you notice, she has not come back to comment.

Ah, I didn't get back quick enough to suit you! So sorry.

It's because I find your brilliant conjectures so stimulating and intellectually superior to my thinking I'm thrown into a state of speechlessness.

Actually, you will find any thread you like to disparage the current administration. I certainly don't expect to influence you, as you will not influence me.

I just find it interesting that someone can make a thread on political correctness which as been a social issues for decades, and somebody would have the shortsightedness to blame one particular individual.

This thead is being derailed by this and I won't engage in this bantering any further with you.

Happy tea parties.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Remember those danish cartoons of muhammad and co.? I actually thought they were rather amusing. But the reaction from the muslim community was grossly out of proportion with the reality of the situation, some danes drawing a few silly pictures! Sure you can be offended, but threatening to kill civillians?

Another thing I don't like; americans saying "African-american" You are assuming black people are African and or american, but not all black people are; for example, there are actually people indigenous to the carribean islands (I.E. one half of my grandparents), not all of them got there through slavery y'know.

This is akin to british custom of saying "asian" instead of indian, bangladeshi, pakistani, iraqi, iranian, et cetera; the word asian encompasses 3,879,000,000 people, a third of which are chinese.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Truly, great post.

I agree with a lot of what you say in it, and I definitely do agree with you on stifling creativity. Honestly, a teenager drawing that wouldn't have thrown any alarm bells for me. I love art with a darker side to it, generally it is the only art I like except for a few select pieces in my collection.

Don't you think that a six-year-old drawing such a thing is a lot more alarming compared to a teenager or an adult drawing the same? Also keep in mind, teenagers and adults are supposed to be more capable of expressing their feelings and emotions compared to a young kid, hence why in most childhood therapy drawing is used as part of the process. Not that I condone all the quackery that I see go on with children these days involving meds and shrinks.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Political Correctness is a mental disease.

People suffering from Political Correctness are convinced that they can pick up a turd by the clean end.

No matter what you call it a turd is still a turd.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

If kids want to draw christmas trees in schools or sing christmas carols at lunchtime or what not, go for it by all means. But to make it mandatory or a requirement is going too far. No public establishment should bow down to any single religion because it imposes of the freedoms of tax paying americans.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I'm no expert, I think I'd have to see the drawing to really decide that...

Crucifix is something you see every single day, really could still be nothing...

Very hard to say, i was drawing odd stuff at 6 myself, depictions of battles I saw in the Encyclopedia, I was already a Godzilla freak and distinctly remember drawing him attacking Ny with my family hanging out the windows lol...

Really hard to say without looking at it... but Jesus is hanging there Dead every Sunday lol

Just doesn't strike me as that odd to depict oneself as a figure in the families Religion... Figure that happens to be, Bloody and Dead every single week in front of your face...

Religion can be pretty creepy sometimes, not sure at all at any age anything you'd draw would be tame, Sodom and Gomorrah, The Serpent the Flood... Babel...

What I would Think

Is the Teacher and parents would know...

And you know...

Some kids are just Creepy too lol

I was a Creepy kid, nothing wrong with me requiring therapy... I'm still a big creepy kid lol

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN?????

Political Correctness is the downfall of our great society...denying the God given and Constitutionally guaranteed rights granted AMERICANS while allowing foreigners and immigrants the right to be offended by our culture, morals, habits, traits, HOLIDAYS (MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!), religious expressions, political views, school curriculum, entertainment...the list goes on and on...it's time AMERICANS took back AMERICA!!!!! I have no problem at all with those who choose to come to this country, leaving oppression and intolerance behind, but when they bring it here...one example...I live in Massachusetts...while in Lexington, near the Mminuteman statue, I overheard a (foreign) man telling his children that the statue represented "another white man with a gun", I almost lost it...I left before committing arrestable acts...what is this country coming to, when the rights of citizens are subjugated to any and all idiots with a complaint...and the ridiculous thing is, our elected officials are actually LISTENING TO THE COMPLAINTS and acting on them...time to act and vote those condescending fools out of office and TAKE AMERICA BACK!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

The day where no one will get their panties in a bunch because they see someone with a cross necklace is the day you will get your wish.

As to the kid with the crucifix drawing of Jesus with X's in his eyes.. Boys will be boys...

When I was in high school there was a project in the art class that would later be displayed and a white sheet of notebook paper next to it for comments.

There was a student that cut out a bunch of photos and turned them into a hand made mosaic of Jesus's face. It was really well done actually. You wouldn't beleive the things people wrote about it. Later a student ripped it off the wall and tore it up right in front of the girl that made it. She was in tears, he wasn't punished.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ROGUESPEAR3

You're right. America caters to anyone who complains about anything for any reason. If it offends someone it must go....

Idiots...

I read a story somewhere about a man that was forced to remove an image of Santa Claus from his front door because it offended a group of people. I'll find the article if I can.

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

The only difference is that the person or group being offended can't fall into these categories: white, male, healthy, educated, Christian/Jewish, middle-class or above. If you do fall into these categories, you are SOL friend.

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
the way you present yourself prior to speaking to somone one will lead some to sterotypes but after you converse and complete disrespect happens ,that is what they call a failure of politics ( talking didnt work).
I hate PC , i try to give everyone common respect I will say things that may be racist but give it time im an equal oppertunity racist I guess but rarely ever out of hatered or do I say it to someone that wouldn't know my mentality.

I am "white" but have freinds of all races and creeds and religions and nationalties I do not hold any religion to soley be true but merely as an interesting history and possibilities when all put togeather and that is my right I may change my mind a week from now who knows and there will always be critics and thats good because it makes you think and you might have more people think and thats why there are so many beliefs which is good without conflict ... Ideas are good right ? reguardless of its intent being bad because the defending party has a rejuvenation of their charector and unites people .. eg the patriot movement , true enviornmentalists are all going back to the roots or should

(I'm a big blues fan so the term racist don't work on me)

with that said... it is my belief that real racisist , ones of hatred , or anyone should never have the free speech right taken away 1st off you can't ! If a guy hates blacks and is outspoken about it atleast you know that guy may harm you so defend yourself or be ready to , dont let them babysit , don't employ them or dont exchange money at theri place of buisness. its better than not knowing and theyharm you, your family or spit in your burger ect...

If I know someone or see someone that displays a haterd of my supposed race I know that if he does something stupid I may have to mess him up or shoot him I dont want to but what can you do but defend yourself.

screw PC its un-constitutional

posted on Dec, 18 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'am not PC

Though it must be hard for those who do take the PC route. Walking around every day saying to them selfs ''Can i say that'' Can i do that'' lol. I have never had any bother in life in regards to it and i'am not PC!

I bet theres people on here who think they have ''Wokin Up'' but they take the PC way of life! LOL

WAKE UP and smell the coffee and realise that PC is control.

Express yerself!

Tsom87

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join