It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian scientists detect signs of life on Moon

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Indian scientists detect signs of life on Moon

www.dnaindia.com

Bangalore: Scientists at the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) are on the brink of a path-breaking discovery. They may have found signs of life in some form or the other on the Moon.

They believe so because scientific instruments on India's first unmanned lunar mission, Chandrayaan-1, picked up signatures of organic matter on parts of the Moon's surface, Surendra Pal, associate director, Isro Satellite Centre (Isac), said at the international radar symposium here on Friday.

Organic matter consists of organic compounds, which consists of carbon -- the building block of life.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Indian scientists also broke the news that water has been found on the moon, a story later confirmed and taken credit for by American research scientists. So their track record this year has been quite good.

The story does indicate that the signs might be from a long-dead form of life since decayed.
Not sure what to make of this though and again. why the msm is not giving this story more coverage. Anybody?

www.dnaindia.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-12-2009 by mrsoul2009]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Nice sensationalist reporting.

DNA later inquired with other senior Chandrayaan-1 mission scientists, who not only confirmed the finding, but gave further details.

"Certain atomic numbers were observed that indicated the presence of carbon components. This indicates the possibility of the presence of organic matter (on the Moon)," a senior scientist told DNA.

They confirmed finding carbon which indicates the possibility of organic compounds. It's a far cry from detecting evidence of life at this stage.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'd imagine theyd be getting their data from spectographs, using radiant light filtered through to get a idea of what chemical substances are filtered through via the light.
However I wonder if India has put into account possible cross-contamination from the Apollo era?, with the instruments such as the Rovers, Landers, instruments being man-made, possibly Earth bacterial life can sustain itself in the Vacuum on the Moons surface.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsoul2009

Not sure what to make of this though and again. why the msm is not giving this story more coverage. Anybody?

[edit on 13-12-2009 by mrsoul2009]

I suppose it's not a big story until they officially release their conclusions. It's interesting that the indian scientists seem to be 'hinting' or is that just spin from the journalist?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

Amino acids and carbon is found in space without being tied to actual life forms.
They are building blocks, and can hint at the possibility of life.
I think the scientists made the statement of finding amino acids and carbon, and the reporter came up with more from there.

Earlier thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Oh Man! India is going too totally smash NASA credibility! This as funny as to watch!

Watching NASA play catch-up is embarrassing!

[edit on 13-12-2009 by MOTT the HOOPLE]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MOTT the HOOPLE

Not really, it's been a known thing in astronomy circles for awhile.
Here's a article discussing amino acids on the moon and in space from '81:
Amino acids from the moon - Notes on meteorites

A PDF from the '70s on the subject:

Amino acid precursors in lunar samples

And amino acids and carbon have been detected in space, and are known about for some time. It's one of the basis' for the idea of extraterrestrial abiogenesis.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
more news about life outside of earths atmosphere?

Hmmm

The way things are going, im actually starting to believe disclosure is finally imminent, and that its just microbial life, not intelligent life.

S&F for the find!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
more news about life outside of earths atmosphere?

Hmmm

The way things are going, im actually starting to believe disclosure is finally imminent, and that its just microbial life, not intelligent life.

S&F for the find!

I am also believing it might happen, but eh, must not get my hopes up as knowing the Government they will say aliens exist and then a few mins later they will announce an apology that they get mixed up with a chinese lantern.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
This post reminds me of my days with ISKCON.
Srila Prabhupada always maintained that there was life on the moon, and that the moon-landings were unlikely or censored. Many devotees split on this devisive issue (especially in the late 1960s), but Srila claimed that the life would not be visible life like we expect, but there are millions of lifeforms on earth that we do not see.
I used to ridicule these notions, but maybe not anymore.
Srila considered a search for life elsewhere a waste of time, which would be better spent conditioning the human spirit to go to Krishnaloka, or the eternal spritiual sky. Here is some of what he wrote on the moon:

"The duration of life on the moon, according to Vedic information, is ten thousand years, and one day there is equal to six months here. Thus ten thousand multiplied by one hundred eighty years is the duration of life on the moon. However, it is impossible for earthmen to go to the moon and live there for very long. Otherwise the whole Vedic literature would be false. We can attempt to go there, but it is not possible to live there. This knowledge is in the Vedas. Therefore, we are not very eager to go to this planet or that planet. We are eager to go directly to the planet where Krishna lives. Krishna states in Bhagavad-gita (9.25):

yanti deva-vrata devan
pitrin yanti pitri-vratah
bhutani yanti bhutejya
yanti mad-yajino 'pi mam

"One can go to the moon, or one can even go to the sun or to millions and trillions of other planets, or if one is too materially attached he may remain here—but those who are My devotees will come to Me."

(hansadutta.com...)

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
And this just a couple of weeks after the , re announcement , of the " Micro life " in a " Meteor from Mars " .

Seems to me that this desire to find life might be clouding the research a bit and there by making some draw inappropriate conclusions based on superficial observation .

Back to matter of timing , wether this or the Mars story ever prove to be " true " or not , one thing is for sure , the notion has been programed into the human subconscious .

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Why don't they just spit it out? There is life on the moon.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Wow.... At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the next headline we hear from India:

Indian lunar probe Chandrayaan finds ruins of intelligent design on moon.

Then...

Indian space agency anounces they have dectected non-human activity on lunar surface

Of course, then followed by this headline

Indian space agency announces they have made contact with intelligent alien species; NASA and the US have lied to the world for over 60 years.

Followed by 2 separate headlines...

US accuses India of faking ET contact; Indian space agency disbands

UN ocean patrol dectects large presence of unmarked nuclear submarines in the Indian ocean

Haha not likely, but I really woudn't be surprised if disclosure of some sort arrives to us through the Indians. They live in a society where they actually report what they find right away, instead of reporting it first to giant media corporations run by corporate globalists bent on world domination.

[edit on 13/12/0909 by Monts]

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
More and more information of possible life is coming out from institutions at a ever increasing pace. What if that the rest of the world is getting tired of keeping their mouths shut and are pushing us to disclose.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Look up at my post to Mott, and look at the links I put in there.

This is the same information NASA has already released to public, nearly 30 years ago.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsoul2009
Indian scientists also broke the news that water has been found on the moon, a story later confirmed and taken credit for by American research scientists. So their track record this year has been quite good.

Alex Collier said that disclosure would most likely come from India or China. That is if the ETs don't do it themselves.

Very interesting...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
Alex Collier said that disclosure would most likely come from India or China. That is if the ETs don't do it themselves.

Very interesting...

This isn't new (well, new for India, but not new for NASA).

NASA announced finding organic molculess on the Moon back in the 1970s, and LCROSS just recently detected ethane and methanol (other organic compounds). NASA has also announced the detection of organic compounds in Venus' atmosphere, Jupiter's atmosphere, Jupiter's moons Callisto, Ganymede, and Europa, plus Saturn's Moons Enceladus and Titan, and also on Mars and in comet dust. Oh -- and NASA had also previously announced detecting potential organic compounds in the atmosphere of extra-solar "exoplanets".

However, I don't think it's "disclosure" as much as it is "discovery".

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Thanks.
And so what if NASA came out with these findings 30 years ago. I was 2 years old I don't remember any of NASA's big annoucement.

NASA needs tell us today what they found 30 years ago.
Thanks India for keeping it real!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Monts

Look up at my post to Mott, and look at the links I put in there.

This is the same information NASA has already released to public, nearly 30 years ago.

Yep your right Rune, But the problem is with NASA they lack the self confidence to get the message out to the people, The should making large media conferences with the data they do have. But instead seem to be perceived as undecided and unsure of themselves.

And since "Perception is Everything!" Indian space program is making NASA look like a bunch of followers not leaders.

It just doesn't look good. Am I wrong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join