It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian security services behind the leak of 'Climategate' emails?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Russian security services behind the leak of 'Climategate' emails?

www.d ailymail.co.uk

Suspicions were growing last night that Russian security services were behind the leaking of the notorious British ‘Climategate’ emails which threaten to undermine tomorrow’s Copenhagen global warming summit.

An investigation by The Mail on Sunday has discovered that the explosive hacked emails from the University of East Anglia were leaked via a small web server in the formerly closed city of Tomsk in Siberia.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-12-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
As these emails came out, initial thoughts I had hoped would surround the suspicion of timing of the leaks and to simple old me it looked like sabotage regardless of truth of content. The release was politically and financially driven. My immediate thought was who had the "pay off" to release this? who else other than a country that will not come out well from Copenhagen. The country with the most vested because of its role as one of the largest producers of oil and gas has found to be the source of the hack to get the CRU emails, Russia.

"Russia believes current rules are stacked against it, and has threatened to pull the plug on Copenhagen without concessions to Kremlin concerns.

The server is believed to be used mainly by Tomsk State University, one of the leading academic institutions in Russia, and other scientific institutes........hundreds of hacked emails were released to the world via a tiny internet server in a red brick building in a snow-clad street in Tomsk.

Computer hackers in Tomsk have been used in the past by the Russian secret service (FSB) to shut websites which promote views disliked by Moscow. Such arrangements provide the Russian government with plausible deniability while using so-called ‘hacker patriots’ to shut down websites Russia is the world’s third-largest emitter of greenhouse gases, and lags behind many Western countries in greening its industry.

However, its emissions plunged in the Nineties as its economy collapsed and it now sits on a treasure trove of unused carbon emission permits that could be sold to other countries. These are due to expire in 2012 with the Kyoto Treaty. The Kremlin wants these to be rolled forward and last week signalled they would not sign a new deal without this, threatening the whole Copenhagen summit."

www.dailymail.co.uk... IdRi

Whilst the emails apear to be real, and perhaps more about personal beliefs and inter industry politickiing than a large scale global NWO agenda...This evidence is where I hope ATsers start to look more. And ask ourselves the questions:

Why would the emails be leaked so close to the conference?
Have we played hysterically into their hands?

Like everything to do with taxations, this hack was about about politicking and money grabbing between countries, and arent they lucky to have people pick up and throw stones for them, this technique reminds me of the soccer hooligans, that go into games to provoke and start riots, but dont participate themselves....

I'm sorry it appears we are all being manipulated to fight and protest, regardless which side of MMGW fence we sit.

"Pawn to C4" oh didn't ya'll realise you've been in a game of chess?

Thank you to SDog for source article

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

Have we played hysterically into their hands?

Yes. It has been that way all along.

Like everything to do with taxations, this hack was about about politicking and money grabbing between countries, and arent they lucky to have people pick up and throw stones for them,

Exactly right. This whole thing is about money and taxation. This summit isn't about the planet or how to stop poisoning it, it is about money and how to pilfer it. Now the top dogs are fighting amongst themselves to see who gets the biggest piece of the pie. We are just pawns being manipulated to do the dirty work for them.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

We are just pawns being manipulated to do the dirty work for them.

Yes but both sides of the arguement are...and I hope people see that, the truth is we are desecrating the planet, I dont really care about the arguements as to whether its getting warmer or not and the taxations, thats a straw man and a excuse people now have to say i dont need to do anything about the state of my yard. Pollution and over consumption of resorces is very real. But as we dump under the earth and in the sea (see trash state twice the size of Texas floating in the Pacific) where its outa sight outa mind.
Anyway.
Dang those peskky Russians!

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I'd guess that, as a BBC employee received some of this material long before the initial leak (2 weeks I think it was), then this has to be from an insider.

A hack job would probably be noticed, especially given the amount of data downloaded, whereas an insider, with authority / access to the material would not draw any attention to themselves.

So, upshot is I think the Russian angle is just an excuse and arse covering exercise. Impossible to prove and removes the idea that there might be dissenters within the climate unit itself.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I find it interesting that everyone is ignoring this key piece of information ...

IF true, it shows the hand of a major player in this game who doesn't conveniently fit into their mmgw denial theories and ideology. After all, this is a stand on principle, some would feel as little silly playing inadvertent point man for the Russians and their natural resource interests.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Regardless of who leaked the information and for what reason, the fact remains that the information is genuine and has been altered. Why else would Prof. Jones have stepped aside if this wasn't true?

The data that the whole world has been basing the entire premise of climate change on cannot be trusted if even 1% of it is inaccurate.

I do not deny climate change, I deny Man-made climate change, although I also agree that we should stop crapping in our back yard as it were.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by nik1halo]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Regardless of who leaked the information and for what reason ...

To me it is a sad day when we stop caring about who has they hands up our collective bottoms and puppeteering the masses and solely focus on our little agendas.

If this is true, and the KGB's hands are all over it, that would surely be an inconvenient truth to many.

Again, not minimizing the significance of the contents of the leaked emails, just trying to find the "ptb's" identity and deep seeded motivations. Find the hidden hand, find the truth ... the rest is just politics.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Have a look at this from WUWT. It explains why it's most probably a leak from the inside rather than a hack from the outside:

Comprehensive network analysis shows Climategate likely to be a leak

Full article here

[...]

Conclusion

I suggest that it isn’t feasible for the emails in their tightly ordered format to have been kept at the departmental level or on the workstations of the parties. I suggest that the contents of ./documents didn’t originate from a single monolithic share, but from a compendium of various sources.

For the hacker to have collected all of this information s/he would have required extraordinary capabilities. The hacker would have to crack an Administrative file server to get to the emails and crack numerous workstations, desktops, and servers to get the documents. The hacker would have to map the complete UEA network to find out who was at what station and what services that station offered. S/he would have had to develop or implement exploits for each machine and operating system without knowing beforehand whether there was anything good on the machine worth collecting.

The only reasonable explanation for the archive being in this state is that the FOI Officer at the University was practising due diligence. The UEA was collecting data that couldn’t be sheltered and they created FOIA2009.zip.

It is most likely that the FOI Officer at the University put it on an anonymous ftp server or that it resided on a shared folder that many people had access to and some curious individual looked at it.

If as some say, this was a targeted crack, then the cracker would have had to have back-doors and access to every machine at UEA and not just the CRU. It simply isn’t reasonable for the FOI Officer to have kept the collection on a CRU system where CRU people had access, but rather used a UEA system.

Occam’s razor concludes that “the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one”. The simplest explanation in this case is that someone at UEA found it and released it to the wild and the release of FOIA2009.zip wasn’t because of some hacker, but because of a leak from UEA by a person with scruples.

I pasted here only the conclusion but please also read the whole article.

[edit on 2009-12-7 by Shirakawa]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
Regardless of who leaked the information and for what reason, the fact remains that the information is genuine and has been altered. Why else would Prof. Jones have stepped aside if this wasn't true?

The data that the whole world has been basing the entire premise of climate change on cannot be trusted if even 1% of it is inaccurate.

I do not deny climate change, I deny Man-made climate change, although I also agree that we should stop crapping in our back yard as it were.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by nik1halo]

You can't just help the Russian oligarchs because it suits you.

Who has done more wrong:

+ The KGB
+ Overeager, less than professional scientists

You see, nothing in these emails actually refutes Climate Change... however EVERYTHING in the past of the KGB, the current Russian elite and Big Oil makes me question THEIR motivations.

It would take a real fool to side with the Russian mob OVER the US gov and thousands of scientists around the world.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
HOW the information was revealed is really irrelevant. The prophets of the Church of Climatology have been shown to be frauds.

It has been shown the Emperor is wearing no clothes, yet many refuse to acknowledge it

....that tells me this isn't science....it's religion.

[edit on 7-12-2009 by Gamma MO]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hackers try and break into Canadian government Centre for Climate Modelling and Analysis

An alleged series of attempted security breaches at the University of Victoria in the run-up to next week's Copenhagen summit on climate change is evidence of a larger effort to discredit climate science, says a renowned B.C. researcher. Andrew Weaver, a University of Victoria scientist and key contributor to the Nobel prize-winning work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, says there have been a number of attempted breaches in recent months, including two successful break-ins at his campus office in which a dead computer was stolen and papers were rummaged through.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gamma MO
HOW the information was revealed is really irrelevant. The prophets of the Church of Climatology have been shown to be frauds.

It has been shown the Emperor is wearing no clothes, yet many refuse to acknowledge it

Not true.

And of course you have no actual proof...because there IS no proof that what you're saying is true.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shirakawa

Have a look at this from WUWT. It explains why it's most probably a leak from the inside rather than a hack from the outside:

Comprehensive network analysis shows Climategate likely to be a leak

Full article here

[...]

Conclusion

I suggest that it isn’t feasible for the emails in their tightly ordered format to have been kept at the departmental level or on the workstations of the parties. I suggest that the contents of ./documents didn’t originate from a single monolithic share, but from a compendium of various sources.

For the hacker to have collected all of this information s/he would have required extraordinary capabilities. The hacker would have to crack an Administrative file server to get to the emails and crack numerous workstations, desktops, and servers to get the documents. The hacker would have to map the complete UEA network to find out who was at what station and what services that station offered. S/he would have had to develop or implement exploits for each machine and operating system without knowing beforehand whether there was anything good on the machine worth collecting.

The only reasonable explanation for the archive being in this state is that the FOI Officer at the University was practising due diligence. The UEA was collecting data that couldn’t be sheltered and they created FOIA2009.zip.

It is most likely that the FOI Officer at the University put it on an anonymous ftp server or that it resided on a shared folder that many people had access to and some curious individual looked at it.

If as some say, this was a targeted crack, then the cracker would have had to have back-doors and access to every machine at UEA and not just the CRU. It simply isn’t reasonable for the FOI Officer to have kept the collection on a CRU system where CRU people had access, but rather used a UEA system.

Occam’s razor concludes that “the simplest explanation or strategy tends to be the best one”. The simplest explanation in this case is that someone at UEA found it and released it to the wild and the release of FOIA2009.zip wasn’t because of some hacker, but because of a leak from UEA by a person with scruples.

I pasted here only the conclusion but please also read the whole article.

[edit on 2009-12-7 by Shirakawa]

Never mind that the author is a right-winger:

www.catprint.ca...

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I agree it's not who or why these were released, obviously someone had something to gain. The question is why are hacked e-mails or leaked considered to be irrelevant by the PTB and global warming supporters? I see the largest criminal conspiracy here which probably involves links with Universities, Public funding, Associations, Media, and all the elites of this world. Unravel this one and we may get a better world.

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

I agree it's not who or why these were released ...

What a singularly odd thing to say on a conspiracy theory forum.

Why does it have to either or?

Absolutely go ahead and debunk mmgw, if it's a fraud it should be exposed ... but why stop there?

[edit on 7 Dec 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I find it interesting that everyone is ignoring this key piece of information ...

IF true, it shows the hand of a major player in this game who doesn't conveniently fit into their mmgw denial theories and ideology. After all, this is a stand on principle, some would feel as little silly playing inadvertent point man for the Russians and their natural resource interests.

Thats the crux, but I was tired making this thread
and didnt even want to make it in the end lol!
The little responce on this thread shows self denial that one is is being played.....

posted on Dec, 7 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

HOW the information was revealed is really irrelevant.

Really irrelavant? Then you aree just a pawn in their game, and are happy to chant on their behalf...... Funny I thought fine conspiracy theorists would have jumped at this manipulation, its pretty much done to manage the outcome of a global event and policies in order to manage further economic agendas, each side as bad as the other.... anyway. keep polluting and all that jazzzzzzz, nothing wrong here, nothing to see here people, go about your business and feel no ownership of anything and just continue to be factional cheer squads............

join