It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic Ayahuasca now legal in the United States

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well too much of this stuff can cause brain damage specifically serotonin syndrome.
It is my opinion that anything that should elevate your "awareness" or cause "enlightenment" should not cause damage to your mental state.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I think that it is great that the previous decisions to allow RFRA to apply to Santo Daime were upheld in this Court finding.

I personally think that anyone should be able to practice their Religious beliefs so long as it does not harm another without fear of government or legal intervention.

However, that said...

I am familiar with the Santo Daime Church that lives down the street from me here in Oregon. Not a single one of them is Brazilian, and they are more a Yuppie New Age cult that throws concerts and walk around in Birkenstocks and drive BMWs, charging thousands of dollars for Chakra Cleansings and Transchanelled Reiki Healings. I have a difficult time believing that they following an Amazonian Shamanistic practice from Brazil.

I'm sure they aren't the first group to hide behind the veil of Religious Freedom...and it is important that we give them the benefit of the doubt...but the RFRA doesn't protect them from public sarcasm and chastisement.

On a side note, I have a friend who is a renown Botanist that grows Ayahuasca here in Southern Oregon (among thousands of other obscure species of flora). He is not a member of the Santo Daime Church. However, even though he grows it along the very same road the local DEA & Sheriffs run daily to bust Marijuana growers, he has never run into any problems growing it (although granted, he neither uses it or sells it either). I find it difficult to believe that the Santo Daime Church ever ran into legal problems with Ayahuasca before unless they advertised using it (I know they did try marketing Ayahusca tea for sale domestically as well as exporting it which is probably what brought legal attention upon them). Honestly, I doubt a single DEA or Sheriff could recognize an Ayahuasca plant, even if they knew what it was.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
Can you die from overdose of this drug?

To my knowledge, no one has ever died from ingesting it. So far it been proven to be safe and effective.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VitalOverdose

Agreed. The propensity for people to use this and control others may be a factor, especially with religion. However, I do feel that it should stay legalized for those who would use it properly.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastmanstanding
Does that mean it will be distributed in some way shape or form? Or will people have to acquire it at their own risk?

I don't think its going to be anything that is made available. You will have to find the right channels...usually through Indian Reservations (who also use peyote), or even a direct connection with the "church" who has made this their sacrament.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
reply to post by EvolvedMinistry

so, what about all the people who will want this to mostly just smoke themselves retarded?

yes, i know its not likely smoked, but the meaning is there.

Well, this sort of thing probably won't be made available on the market and it won't be very easily accessible. You would have to find the proper channels, and then, they would be there properly administer the dose. This sort of drug is not the type that gets taken recreationally and is quite hard to find.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Yes, I see the situation that you're bringing up. I think that they will only let people use this in a controlled setting where you have to participate with the "church" or the spiritualists involved. Its very much like going to an Indian Reservation. They won't just let you leave with a ton of peyote. They make you take it in their presence and use spirit guides to work you through your trip, and when you leave, you leave empty handed.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

I gave you a star for your comment. Everything that you said is absolutely correct.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 30_seconds

How strange... I was just browsing through ATS and somehow what came to mind was Terence McKenna.

Scrolling down the page, suddenly I see this post about ayahuasca. Just one synchronicity among dozens I'm having every day now...

Yes...its good that you're noticing those "coincidences," or should I say, "non-coincidences." In my personal opinion, when you notice these synchronizations and recognize them, you're often being guided to a particular meaning. I claim no absolutes, however, when I follow them it always turns out for a particular reason.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by PontiacWarrior

Another good post. Thank you for your contribution. I agree wholeheartedly.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PontiacWarrior
You know, someone is gonna go playing with this stuff for recreation, do something stupid. AND ruin it for those who would like to go on a spiritual journey. A proper shaman is needed, someone to watch you, and guide you. But someone's gonna ruin it for us all.

Lets just hope that the people who are acquiring it (the church mentioned) are using it responsibly. Personally, I don't think its going to be distributed commercially, but, there is always a chance that the situation that you propose could happen.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

No, the usage will be only in ceremonies of sanctioned churches or spiritual centers. I don't think it will be possible to acquire it on the street since it is indigenous to South America. In order to receive it, you have to go through the proper channels. But again, there is always a potential for abuse. Human beings are prone to error.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Well too much of this stuff can cause brain damage specifically serotonin syndrome.
It is my opinion that anything that should elevate your "awareness" or cause "enlightenment" should not cause damage to your mental state.

Well yes, too much of anything can probably be deadly. As you said, it is over taking or over ingesting too much that causes the problem. However, when taken properly, there aren't any harmful side-effects that are detrimental to the human body. Therefore, the purposes of elevated awareness are achieved through moderation as with anything.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Well, at least now I know that I don't have to venture on down to South America to take this great ayahuascan spiritual voyage.

I've read some stories about people being robbed half-way through their trip by locals...

Imagine being under the effects of that and some dodgy men with guns bust in, freaking you out. lol. Scary.

I'd feel MUCH safer in Oregon. Much, much safer.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
Can you die from overdose of this drug?

You can die from to much of anything. Ultimately in this particular drink you would get sick from drinking to much before you got sick from the '___', and then you're in for a wild ride.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
There are always those who would stop everyone from using or doing something just because a few dumb idiots did something stupid with it. I guess its always been that way. Doesn't make it right.

I hope we are growing up as a society. What are the motives for preventing more people from having a spiritual awakening? Might they be less inclined to do as told by authorities? Might they be less inclined to mass media manipulation? Might they be less "sheeple"?

I suppose there are any number of reasons why the state might want to limit the use of such substances. Ironically, the sad economy might be one reason for the state to switch to a control/legislate/tax approach instead.

It does not matter really why people would want to experience the effects of something like Ayahuasca. The state does not exist to play the role of nanny to grownups. If they do its with an agenda that has nothing to do with our health.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Good post and an excellent statement. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the comment.

posted on Dec, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Check out erowid if you want the low down.

www.erowid.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
As bsbray11 said, it is a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor.

Just like John's Wort, a recognized legal herb for treating depression, but with added hallucinogenic property.

DiMethylTryptamine is manufactured in the human body in the pineal gland, from the dietary protein-derived tryptophan amino acid.

It is chemically related to and derived from

-melatonin, the sleep hormone and antioxidant; and
-serotonin, the mood-boosting, feel good chemical.

Conspiracy? Banning a human physiological chemical compound made by an endocrine gland from the protein eaten every single day???........................

But on another note, the cannabis medical claim also can be applied to ayahuasca for depression.

It has the same mechanism as John's Wort mentioned above.

I should say that in my country, brazil, the widely known University of Sao Paulo/USP/Universidade de São Paulo, is conducting an ongoing clinical trial with "Chá do Santo Daime/Saint Daime's Tea" for evaluating a possible treatment of depression and mood disorders.

If all goes well, it will be published.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by jjjtir]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Excellent, thank you for your post and your information.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join