It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being prepared...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ok, I hope this is the right place to post this. I'll make it quick.

I'm a younger guy. I don't have very much to my name, YET. I want to be prepared for whatever is going to happen whether it be the economy crashing, anarchy, rioting, just anything with all hell breaking loose. My question is...

Do you think that there's enough time to start preparing now, or are we screwed?

In the not so distant future I'll have a great job and I want to stock up on food, MREs, all kinds of supplies, guns, seeds, and a few books on survival and misc. stuff like that.

I'm kinda at the point where I'm thinking there won't be enough time for me to do that. I'm hoping that things stay level for at least a year or two, because over the next two, I'm definitely going to prepare myself.

I'm actually on the hunt for a forum that discusses survival stuff like this.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by krull11]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
There is always time TO prepare for whatever you have the resources to.

I have a small booklet to send to you to get you started. Nothing political or religious. It's called "Save Your Butt-Survival Preparedness for Those Who Don't Have A Clue" by Michelle and Wayne Hertzberg.

It's a book for beginners. drop me a line and I will email you my [email protected]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I recommend a water distillation system. You can even turn urine into drinking water with that. Water will be a big concern, along with shelter and food.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Pfffft, what to say, I want to say something but unsure what..

Okey, what I been picking up here and there on the net, forum sites, youtube and radio shows, is that the Sun is the problem (Yea, Ive seen Knowing
). I dont think of that magnitude if it is the case..

Butt, the problem seems to be an increased levels of Xrays that is supposedly will make it impossible for us to be outside during the day, and at night, there will be increased gammy ray impact from space that will make it hard to be out at night, butt, I'm still unsure when and if it is real or another 2012 hype to keep me 'looking over here' when I should be 'looking over ther', if you know what I mean.

Ive heard people should be starting to prepare now and food and water for 1 to 6 months is what I hear over and over..

Butt hey, take it as you wish, just felt like adding what I have heard 'lately'..

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Well i know at least three people who are doing the same as you.I have already taken one step to a safe and healthly lifestyle.I got out of the busy city to live in the country.A small country town is better than a city where you may get trapped if a cival or natural disaster happens.You can stock up on,food,seeds,cloths.ammo,kerosine,generator and medical supplys.Leave the cities and live in the country.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Thanks for all of the replies

Last poster - It's my goal right now to save up and move into a semi isolated area, you hit the nail on the head. That's where I plan to really get things up and running on the survival front. For right now though I'm going to do my research!

I honestly meant this thread to be more about a collapse of the USA and not 2012 or any kind of apocalyptic thing. It's kind of funny when you think about it... I'm more scared of the government and people themselves than invading aliens and armageddon

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I can identify with your motivations Krull. If I were to start with nothing I think I would get the following things:

Water purifier - Katadyn would be best, but PUR hiker model would do.
Firearm and ammunition - So many choices and possible scenarios. A ruger 10/22 is good all-around survival rifle but you may want more firepower than a .22. My choice is a Kimber .45 along with my Ruger to carry in a bugout situation.
Edged weapons/tools - a coupla good knives. Swedish Mora knives are very good and inexpensive.
Survival manuals will only do you as much good as what you can learn from them before sitX because you don't want to be hauling around a bag full of books.
Seeds: make sure you get non-hybrid seeds that will give a crop year after year.
A good set of outdoor clothing appropriate to your climate. If you can get Goretex, get it. Expensive but worth it.
As for which books to get I would resommend the following:
Peterson's field guide to wild edible plants
Tom Brown's guide to wilderness survival
wilderness guide to first aid by Wayne Merry

Did I mention maps of your area and anyhwere you might go during sitX? Good topo maps are available from the USGS.

That about cover it?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Good info, thanks a lot

I wanted to ask something here though: do you guys think that we've actually got enough time to prepare? I'm hoping that something like this won't happen for at least a year or two. You never know when something like that will take place. I've just been put in a position where I've got to work my hiney off to get there since I come from a poor family, basically.

Time is our enemy...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by krull11

You will be an old man sitting around with all that junk and not remembering why you collected it all.

Nothing is going to happen and even if it did your meager supply of stuff would only prolong the inevitable.

Stop fretting over an unknown and live life as if nothing is going to happen.

Because nothing is.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
No one is prepared. If you watch Population Zero, they say that if the power went out, for 5 days, most chemical plants would explode. If it went out for 10 days, and no one refilled the backup diesel generator tanks at the spent fuel rod containment facilities, then nuclear accidents larger than Chernobyl. Potentially 75 of them in the US.

That's just if the power goes out.

Take a look at survival vehicles out there and see how many are armored and have air filtration and radiation protection.

None.

Here is a vehicle idea I am working on... A Brinks Armored Truck
pic.ipicture.ru...

and here is some of what I would do to the interior...
pic.ipicture.ru...

It would also have Sanuvox air filtration which filters viruses, bacteria and even destroys chemicals.

When you leave the vehicle, you wear a Demron suit, when you enter the vehicle, you shower and wash and dry your suit.

Here is a Demron suit, 850 bucks for the suit.
radshield.com...

A radiation detecting key-chain you can get for 150 bucks.

The truck, you will have to acquire when the SHTF unless you have 150,000 bucks kicking around.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Don't forget your metal tea cup, you can boil water and make some wild berry tea OR you can kill someone with it...

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxxcosta
Don't forget your metal tea cup, you can boil water and make some wild berry tea OR you can kill someone with it...

Or your radioactive key chain if you've had the right training.
I used to have a cafe that was licensed, and I was tending bar, and it was getting close to closing time, and this guy was talking away to me, and he says, I was in the military, I can kill a man with my keys.
And I was like, o kayyy, lets drink up now we're closing.

I will give you a little survival tip for when you are out there scavenging for supplies and it gets ugly. The fire extinguisher is your friend. Know where they are supposed to be in buildings. You can do crowd control with a good fire extinguisher. You should be able t walk into any building full of zombies unarmed, find the fire extinguisher within 10 to 15 seconds and pull the pin.
pssssshhhhht bAFF! (hit them on the head while they are blinded) and down they go onto their back like Bill Murray hit by slimer in Ghost Busters arms and legs still going.

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Osiris555]

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Osiris555]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The best advice I can give is to honestly buy a gun and ammo with those two tools you can get everything else you need if you have the will. In a SHTF scenerio hopefully it will never come to that!!!!

[edit on 1-12-2009 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Not sure how many people here were in the military specifically, but a good guide to have for multiple situations believe it or not is a "Winning the Board" study guide, I know Skinner wrote one that is very compact. You can ignore the customs and courtesies sections and what not, but the first aid and land navigation sections are ridiculously useful.
Not too mention it's not bulky in the least.

Another army pub. that is handy would be whats called the "Smart Book", it's a little book with both those topics along with making rudimentary weapons, tactics and other such useful survival techniques, all in a book the size of a common "door to door" bible.(4" x 5").

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
1.read survival,escape and recovery military manual
2.read up on how to build skin on frame kayaks,native style very flexible
3.learn to hunt and fish for small game
4.do a google image search on the word "famine''.
find one with a starving child in it.Look at it for a moment.
THAT is need,if being without it won't kill you then you DON"T need it.
you just want.
we need food water and shelter,a bit of air at the right temp.
loving and music would be nice too.

[edit on 16-12-2009 by the_grand_pooh-bah]

new topics

top topics

join