It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New spyware let's you monitor cellphone activity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

New spyware let's you monitor cellphone activity

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
New spyware lets you monitor cell phone activity
Invasive nature of software 'shocking'
Julie Hayden KDVR Denver
November 19, 2009

DENVER - It's like something out of a James Bond movie. "Spyware" you can secretly install on a cell phone. It allows you to eavesdrop, and gives you access to everything the person does on the phone.

And they'll never know it's happening.

Fox 31 investigative reporter Julie Hayden found out this new cell phone spyware takes the "big brother" concept to an unprecedented level. "Overall I think this is very dangerous software capability, I think this is an invasion of privacy," said Jennifer, who participated in a test of the new spyware for FOX 31 News.

The spyware was downloaded from the website, and then put on a "target phone," which was given to Jennifer's fiancée, Neil. She had the "monitor phone."

Jennifer watched her phone as a she received a text message that alerted her that Neil made a call on his phone. Every time Neil's phone sent or received a call, text message, or email, Jennifer's phone was alerted.

"I just can't believe that I'm listening in on this conversation," Jennifer said.

Even more unnerving, the monitor phone can dial the target phone number, even if Neil isn't using the phone, and hear whatever is going on around the phone. Neil's phone becomes a microphone for Jennifer to listen. "How invasive this is… is really the shocking part," she said.

Neil had no idea his cell phone was turned into an eavesdropping device. When he found out, he said, "There's no way to tell. It's not okay."

Depending on who owns the phone, it's probably not illegal to use this spyware on the cell phone.

"From a marriage point of view it's communal property, so that probably is not illegal," said Dr. Steve Beaty of Metro State University. He also said that if the phone is provided by an employer, and they want to track it, they are legally capable of doing that.

The spyware even allows you to track the physical location of the target cell phone. It's linked to a Google map and will even take you down to street level. "That's really creepy," Jennifer said. "So I could call him and say 'so, you're driving by Walgreens right now.'"

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
That is very creepy...but very cool.

Do you have a link to the website to download this?

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Is this FlexiSpy? The article does not say what the actual software is or who makes it. Someone needs to write the code for a cell phone firewall.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Here is a link to Flexispy and how it works. I think that is the software they are talking about. Its a bit expensive.

Link

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The video is on KDVR 31 News website out of Denver

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
What scares me the most about this tech is that the govs.version of this has probably been obsolete for 40yrs.G*d know what they have to invade your privacy nowadays.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The movie Eagle Eye anybody?

This exact thing was in it...

I feel that technology will allow us to do anything our minds can imagine.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yes, anything our mind's can imagine, and just think of the military/government minds that have been imagining for the last 20 yrs or so, depending on how long this "civilian" technology has been avalible to TPTB... boggles the mind, and we will be hearing more I'm afraid

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Yeah, with the software you can:

Have a text message sent to your phone whenever the person you're tracking sends or receives a text message. It doesn't matter which phone they have, as long as it's a cell phone obviously and has those text messaging capabilities.

Also, you can get a call whenever the person you're tracking makes or receives a call so you can listen in on the conversation. It doesn't matter which phone they have, as long as it's a cell phone obviously.

Also, if the person you're tracking has an iPhone, you can listen into whatever their mic is picking up at any given moment, if you get the right software.

Also, if the person you're tracking has an iPhone, you can watch from the perspective of whatever their camera lens is currently looking at, if you get the right aoftware.

A few warnings:

Some software you have to have permission from the person you wanna track in order to track them --kinda defeats the purpose. But it's still good to use on the kids, spouse, etc. When you're buying, make sure you read ALL of the fine print because some software won't tell you this little rule and you won't find out until after you buy.

Some software brands you also need to download on the phone of the person you want to track. Again kinda defeats the purpose.

Some software you just download, type in a number and away you go. Again, make sure you read all of the fine print and do your research.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, make sure you do research for the laws in your state / country before you buy and / or install ANY of that spying software on your phone or any one else. The person you're tracking won't ever know you're tracking them, but the authorities will as a monetary paper trail will be made as well as a record of the internet download of the software you perform. The penalties are VERY stiff.

Be careful if you choose to go down this path in monitoring someone. I think it's an invasion of someones privacy and I am against this software. I realize the authorities do it on all of us, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

The right to do something doesn't mean that doing it is right.

new topics

top topics

join