It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather die than be 'the chimp lady'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The quality of life is more important than the length of life. I've seen to many people that doctors have saved that sit and wish the doctors would of just let them die. They feel they are serving a prison sentence in a body that won't let them have an independent life or even an active life.

3 or 4 years down the road at the most will this ladies family still come over and visit? Will they invite her to big dinners where they have guest that aren't family to her? Will they be able to find the time? The spot light won't really remember her. Will they consider her a burden to them? Will her grandchildren still come up throw their arms around her and say I love you? Or will they stay away or shy away from her in fear?

How long will her friends stick around? Will they want to go out in public with her? Will she enjoy being alone much of her time?

We live in a self centered society where as another poster stated we don't look inside of a person but look at their appearance. We turn our heads and don't meet a person in the eye thats difigured when we run into them at the store. Yet they have eyes to see this so they lower their heads feeling less because of us. We don't teach our children not to be rude and call these people monsters or tell them not to make comments about other peoples looks.

I had a friend she was very beautiful then a pressure canner blew up in her face. Even after the plastic surgery you could still tell. The people that were suppose to love her the most after a couple of years either left her or found reasons not to spend time with her because of "not being able to stand seeing her face that way when she had been so beautiful". Even though she was still beautiful on the inside they couldn't see it through the disfigurement. That was worse for her than loosing her looks. How long until this chimp lady finds the same happening to her?

Since I see death as the means of going to better place in her place if I knew how bad I was I would of said "Doc just give me drugs to kill the pain so I go gently into the night".

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth

third, i don't think she looked bad at all and if she really wants to, she can get a seeing-eye-dog. or chimp.

[edit on 11/12/09 by ohsnaptruth]

Hahaha. 'Seeing eye-chimp!" Really?

On a side note, I can't stand Oprah either. My mom was watching it and I overheard/saw most of it. So exploitative.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience

Ultimately everything that happens to us, good or bad, is an important life lesson.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Clairaudience]

The only thing we learn from experiences is that we learn nothing from them.-GBS

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I found a bit of video of her showing her face now

www.myfoxny.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
"If I regarded my life from the point of view of the pessimist, I should be undone. I should seek in vain for the light that does not visit my eyes and the music that does not ring in my ears. I should beg night and day and never be satisfied. I should sit apart in awful solitude, a prey to fear and despair. But since I consider it a duty to myself and to others to be happy, I escape a misery worse than any physical deprivation."
Helen Keller

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Sorry but before I off'd myself (yes I would) I'd go to the nearest zoo and take out as many monkeys as I could!

Why do people feel the need to have ZOO ANIMALS at their house???

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I asked a friend once “Have you ever thought about suicide”

He replied “what’s the point, were going to die one day anyway”

I guess this lady feels the same. Good for her.

You will be surprised how much you want to cling to life no matter what "state" you are in, or how close to death you are.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I would so I could beat the chimp with a bat.
Once the vile creature is punished I would have closure.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Someone said to me today, well at least she can live her life now. The lady has no face, I'm pretty sure she doesn't even have hands anymore. She cant even see, I can't even bear to watch her interview with Oprah.

I would take death over this any day. I am just curious, are there any of you out here that would rather live and be in this condition?

She has a loving and devoted 17 year old daughter who would most likely pray thanks every day that her mother is alive.

Selfishness isn't always a one way street.

I personally, would rather death. I have no one. But then, I'm an able bodied bloke, so you see, the lines are thin and drawn under horrendous circumstance.

I have nothing but empathy for this lady. Her strength is truly a mark of someone whos been to damn hell and has the courage to keep going.

She deserves nothing more than dignity under these circumstances, not rumors of "Id rather be dead."

[edit on 13/11/2009 by Ha`la`tha]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
The quality of life is more important than the length of life.

That is an entirely subjective point.

This lady wants to move on, to show her strength, and to not cower under such horror.

Do you think your words do any justice to her bravery, or do they perpetuate the initial "Just kill me" feelings people may have.

She has lost MORE than most of us will ever even understand... To stand courageous despite of it, makes her life all the more worth living. Such a brave woman, when we have people who shotgun themselves because a girl rejected them, or for a song.

She has a life. And it, imo, is her courage that will keep people by her side.

And by the way, I am all for people who have no quality of life, who determine that in their lasting days there will be no reprieve from lack of quality, should be allowed to end their existence peacefully.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Sorry but before I off'd myself (yes I would) I'd go to the nearest zoo and take out as many monkeys as I could!

Why do people feel the need to have ZOO ANIMALS at their house???

That poor chimp was caged from a young age and force fed human xanax.

DO you want to go to a kindergarten and beat all the kids there are, because some will inevitably take AD"s and screw up lives?

The woman who owned it is 100% responsible, as an irresponsible human.

She should be beaten.. Not random chimps who are often stolen from the wild just to make us pathetic humans smile.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple
I would so I could beat the chimp with a bat.
Once the vile creature is punished I would have closure.

Nah, you wouldnt... you dont cure stoopid...

I mean really...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix

Originally posted by Tayesin
Some people give up easily don't they?

no eyes, no nose, no hands... i wouldn't consider that very easy.

Edit: I forgot, she doesn't have a mouth either

[edit on 11/12/2009 by hikix]

I understand your perspective. Yet as someone has said here, what remains of her is the important thing... the physical exterior is least important, that the person, the life she is living, the abilities she may have, the love she may hold for family and others, the desires she may hold for life are there while she has lost some outer parts.

I do feel very sorry for her ordeal, for the results she is left with for now, etc. But given her fairly uniques situation she will be offered reconstruction of replacement opportuinities wchich will advance our understandings and add to her quality of life.

Consider someoneafter an accident left in a wheelchair with no bodily control, yet the mind is clear and functioning. Have they not lost more than this unfortunate woman? And yet they choose life? So why then do we place looks above ability and what can be offered to humanity?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

No one should be beaten. Words are powerful, and folks here need to be careful with words. Stuff happens, could it have been avoided? Yes. But what happen has happened.

As for myself, no one could ever say with a definitive answer until that time came. I would try to be strong. I am a very compassionate and empathetic kind of person, I can easily imagine myself in anther's place. Something sociopaths and cold hearten killers lack.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I'd want to be dead, seriously. I mean, think about it. She can't see, I don't think she has hands so it'd make living a lot more terrible. Plus, I'd hate to touch my face everyday feeling ridiculous bumps where there should be no bumps.

Seriously, I would have wished for death. I feel very sorry for this woman. I'm glad she appreciates her life and stuff like that, but I would not like to live in that manner.

That stuff being said, what happened is so damn death metal.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Whine Flu]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think maybe you should take the "Chimp Lady" part out of your thread.

It's quite rude don’t you think?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
There is a not so famous physicist, whose equations predict the weight of the subatomic elements - he was a true genius - can't remember his name right now. He blew his hands off making dynamite, and was blinded and was mostly deaf. His wife wrote his equations and read to him - all his equations and work were written by his wife.

There is also Stephen Hawkings, worth noting - still valuable to society, still able to think and contemplate things.

For me - I would have to say, it is the "I" that must go before I would quit life - but, perhaps it is the "I" that IS life

I think, therefore I am. Without it - I am nothing.

If I was in unendurable pain, with no hope of respite - and believe me I know exactly what that is - then I would also be willing to die. When you are in that state you cannot think - you only know pain.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Amagnon]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent-ATS
I think maybe you should take the "Chimp Lady" part out of your thread.

It's quite rude don’t you think?

But she's blind - she will never read it - we could call her anything! Woo - like being invisible, only better. Face off lady, cooked vegetable - you know - anything.

Sure, she sounds brave - we can do better than calling the unfortunate names.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

I take it you're fast approaching you’re twelfth birthday.

Let’s hope you're face doesn’t get burnt off when you're trying to blow out the candles.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
How can any of us know how we'd react? This goes way beyond 'having her looks spoiled'. She has no face! Every aspect of her life will be affected. If it was me, don't know if I would cope.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join