It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather die than be 'the chimp lady'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Someone said to me today, well at least she can live her life now. The lady has no face, I'm pretty sure she doesn't even have hands anymore. She cant even see, I can't even bear to watch her interview with Oprah.

I would take death over this any day. I am just curious, are there any of you out here that would rather live and be in this condition?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by hikix

yes

what's to be gained by dying?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I would hold on to life.

I only hope she can find a deeper meaning to her life !

All life is sacred ! If she can transcend this tragedy she can gain a deeper appreciation for her life.

I find it sad to hear from such vain souls who would just "give up" !

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I decided a long time ago I lose either my sight or hearing its check out time from life. I really don't understand how she seemed at times almost cheerful during her oprah interview.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Soulhacking]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Soulhacking

this could be one of those threads - but I hope not

I think the OP's question is an amazing question

essentially - at what point is life not worth living?

I'd like to think any of the questions asked of each other in this thread wouldn't be seen as an attack - just questions

so, if you couldn't see - or you couldn't hear - that's it - it's completely over for you?

life would be meaningless without your sight or your hearing?

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Spiramirabilis]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
reply to post by Soulhacking

essentially - at what point is life not worth living?

If something like this happened to my dog, I would have put him out of his misery a long long time ago. I would hope my dog would do the same for me... haha

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hm Interesting question actually, and I can't think of any reason why I would commit suicide, not even if I was in her place. Nothing happens without a reason or a deeper meaning, that's how I think. People commit suicide for all kinds of stupid reasons, loosing a girl/boyfriend, having an accident that changes ones appearance, war, love, whatever.....

Ultimately everything that happens to us, good or bad, is an important life lesson.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

:-)

ha ha

but seriously...

you've lost your face - and whatever else - your hands...

once the physical pain is gone - and you're left to yourself - and to your life - is there nothing left for you here?

nothing here worth staying here to experience?

food doesn't taste as good?

the birds don't sing?

music isn't just as beautiful?

stories not just as interesting?

the sun doesn't rise - or set?

no moon, no stars?

nothing is funny anymore?

nothing is sad? (there is great beauty in sadness - sometimes)

you no longer love?

is the only reason for living tied up in vanity and convenience?

:-)

forgive the melodrama - but, you get where I'm going - right?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
...i probably wouldve died since i dont have insurance - but - if it had happened to me and i was given a choice, i'd choose to live because its a recoverable condition - not like it's a cancer thats gonna kill ya anyways... who i am is my mind, not my physical appearance...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well she isnt even fully aware how much of her face has been damaged is she? In the interview she said she only found out a couple of weeks ago that she had no eyes, so she must be in the mindset of that being ignorant is better then knowing how bad it is.

Id like to think I wouldnt just top myself if that happened to me... because I mean losing your sight is pretty bad on its own (worse than losing your hearing I think), and losing both your hands is bad as well... I think Id probably be able to deal with either of those on their own, but both together I dont know how I'd cope. Also, I think if Id lost my eyes I wouldnt give a toss what my face looked like because its not like Id be able to see it anyway!

I suppose as well it depends on how old you are. That woman is in her late 50's right? And not saying that she has nothing left in her life to do.. but at least she's been able to experience being 'normal' for the last 50 odd years of her life. I think if a person was significantly younger than that it would be alot harder to deal with.

[edit on 12/11/09 by Bluebelle]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
anyone saying they would want to live is a fool. the only reason she probably hasnt done "it" is out of fear. i would gladly let myself go to the other side and move on with life there. there is no future hope for getting back what is lost through our science, and what is she to live for, to go on tv shows and tell her story. forget that. if my life as i know it got flipped by to something of her degree. i would be done. maybe she can go meditate in a cave for years and become a spiritual guru or something, but everything else is done. there are things i could cope with if i lost, but she has lost a lot. i actually havent watched any of the stuff because i cant bare to look at her. its sad.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

I think if a person was significantly younger than that it would be alot harder to deal with.

what if you had been born into a similar situation?

what would life mean to you then?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmy1200
anyone saying they would want to live is a fool. the only reason she probably hasnt done "it" is out of fear. i would gladly let myself go to the other side and move on with life there. there is no future hope for getting back what is lost through our science, and what is she to live for, to go on tv shows and tell her story. forget that. if my life as i know it got flipped by to something of her degree. i would be done. maybe she can go meditate in a cave for years and become a spiritual guru or something, but everything else is done. there are things i could cope with if i lost, but she has lost a lot. i actually havent watched any of the stuff because i cant bare to look at her. its sad.

So those who would choose to live on are fools??

I disagree. YOU may give up when life becomes hard (and that is your right, I feel), but not me..and not her. You say it is fear that keeps her from killing herself, I say it is strength. It appears that she is even stronger than you.

To cut and run is infinitely easier than staying the course and making the best of what life you have. This woman has a daughter, a family, and a life. Which of those things have been taken away since the attack? Not one. For a lot of "fools" those are more than enough reasons to keep living.

I honestly hope that you find something truly important in life that changes your perspective. Just my opinion, but if your only joy in life comes through your hands and eyes, I feel bad for you. Everyone should have at least one true happiness in life that cannot be shaken even in the worst of times. Hands and eyes do not a life make. Nor are those who choose to enjoy the world with whatever remaining senses they have left are fools.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I think if a person was significantly younger than that it would be alot harder to deal with.

what if you had been born into a similar situation?

what would life mean to you then?

Would be a completely different sitution, you wouldnt know what you were missing out on in the same way as if you had experienced something for the majority of your life which was then taken away.

CX

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hard to say really, but sitting here now i'd say i'd rather not live my life like that.

However i am also thinking that someone in that position could do a lot to educate people about the dangers of these animals, or at least why they shouldn't be kept as pets.

She may not want to do that, i don't know, and i certainly wouldn't blame her for wanting to not go down that road.

Just to add, the video of her revealing the full damage on Oprah is on Youtube. Not nice viewing, but inspirational that she is quite happy to carry on.

CX.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Please don't underestimate the abilities of the brain. A person who might have lost sight has heightened hearing senses, can actually picture the world through acoustic means, a deaf person can actually "hear" by sensing vibrations in the environment. There was a guitarist who could play better than any person with just two fingers (I can't remember his name).... get the point? Its all about perception and how you deal with it.

But its not those reasons that lead people to commit suicide, its the lack of social commitment due to whatever reasons, its the reactions of other people on the street that make you psychologically "unstable".

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hikix

I would rather die. She cannot see, her hands are bascially, as you said, gone, and she must eat through a straw. Her face is...well, you've seen it. Who would want to live like that? To me, that is not living! Any time she goes out she'll be either sympathized over constantly, ridiculed, etc....

I know she is supposed to be trying to get facial reconstruction surgery, but come on, you can only do so much. I would definitely rather die.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Would be a completely different sitution, you wouldnt know what you were missing out on in the same way as if you had experienced something for the majority of your life which was then taken away.

exactly

so - what is it about life that makes it worth living?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
She has a daughter she spends time with who has NOT seen her face.
Good enough reason to me for trying to have some sort of life.
I suspect no amount of reconstructive surgery will make her "whole" again but you know,I had someone very close to me who lost a great deal of their face including an eye to cancer and they went on to live another 10 years that "mattered."
Yes,I would want to keep living.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

exactly

so - what is it about life that makes it worth living?

Well Id assume things like friends, family & doing things that make you happy make living worthwhile. And while Id assume that family would stick around if something like that happened, the person would probably lose a lot of friends. And as for being able to do things you enjoy... well if those things were based around using your hands & eyesight then its understandable that someone would see little point to their life if they were no longer able to do them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join