It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When E.T. Phones The Pope (Washington Post Article)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
By Marc Kaufman
Sunday, November 8, 2009

www.washingtonpost.com...

"this week the Vatican's Pontifical Academy of Sciences is holding its first major conference on astrobiology, the new science that seeks to find life elsewhere in the cosmos and to understand how it began on Earth. Convened on private Vatican grounds in the elegant Casina Pio IV, formerly the pope's villa, the unlikely gathering of prominent scientists and religious leaders shows that some of the most tradition-bound faiths are seriously contemplating the possibility that life exists in myriad forms beyond this planet. Astrobiology has arrived, and religious and social institutions -- even the Vatican -- are taking note."

"Father Jose Funes, a Jesuit astronomer, director of the centuries-old Vatican Observatory and a driving force behind the conference, suggested in an interview last year that the possibility of "brother extraterrestrials" poses no problem for Catholic theology. "As a multiplicity of creatures exists on Earth, so there could be other beings, also intelligent, created by God," Funes explained. "This does not conflict with our faith because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God."

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Interesting. Thanks for posting

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Would be extremely interesting....

Mod Edit- Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
At least they're taking a step in the right direction by talking about this publicly and stating their view that belief in other intelligent extraterrestrial life in the Universe doesn't go against the religion or it's teachings.

albeit a rather "small" "slow" step.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ufo reality

Interesting read. This is all part of the awakening process.

They are prepping the minds of their followers so that everyone does not freak out when the official press release goes global that aliens do exist.

The catholic church has a lot at stake and cannot stand to lose its strong grip on 1 billion worldwide.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Great article, thanks OP

I hope the revelation of intelligent life outside Earth comes in my lifetime. I also hope that we handle that awareness with some dignity and not like the screaming Apes we often are. Our Human-centric view of the universe has got to change, we cannot think of ourselves as the center of all things.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
u say 1 billion, i say 999,999,999 instead.
but its still cool to see my former religion stepping it up finally, somewhat.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
IMO I believe the Vatican has used the peoples by using trickery so they could live well.

In my mind the Vatican knows that their time is running short and their lies are being caught so they are only going to do what they need to do to cover there own butts.

Yes I am Catholic but since I am an experiencer and learned life isn't what we were taught I prey not to a God we named but to our Creator's that are aware what is happening here on Planet Earth.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by observe50]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
In Whitley Streiber's book Confirmation there is an interview with Monsignor Balducci of the Vatican conducted in 1996.

A quote from the Monsignor:

"It is reasonable to believe and to affirm that extra-terrestrials exist. Their existence can no longer be denied, for there is too much evidence for the existence of extra-terrestrials and flying saucers as documented by UFO research".

The Vatican has been well aware of the alien presence for quite a while.

[edit on 9/11/0909 by Krusty the Klown]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dimensionaljumper

They will lose that grip once those same followers realize that they've been lied to their whole lives.

Second line.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Well, they got no choice. If Vatican says there isn't life in other planets, they better close the business, because soon extraterrestrials of different races will show up face to face here. Then...they would end like big liars and all churches will be empty sunday morning. Do not be sorprise if other religions do the same.

They want to say...."I always told you they exist !!! " "I knew it !!"

In other words, they want to place their bet on the winning horse.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I wonder how these pro alien catholics would react if an extraterrestrial race emerged and claimed that they created life on this planet, and brought evidence to support their claim. Would the catholics reject their God or the evidence?

Speculations of course

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Saribous

I don't know how the Vatican would react but I would be LMAO!!!!!

They would squirm an answer saying something like, yes that's what we really meant!!!!

[edit on 9/11/0909 by Krusty the Klown]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Let's not give the Vatican too much credit now.

What they are probably going to tell you is "yes, E.T.s do exist BUT, humans are still the only creatures with a soul". lol

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saribous

I wonder how these pro alien catholics would react if an extraterrestrial race emerged and claimed that they created life on this planet, and brought evidence to support their claim. Would the catholics reject their God or the evidence?

Speculations of course

This particular "revelation" is at the top of my "supress disclosure" thoughts. I don't believe we have the strength as a species to handle such a notion and not lose our identity. Disclosure is ripe with potential land mines that could cripple Humanity. If I was an Alien society and I wanted to mess with our heads this would be tops to tell the world.

"People of Earth, we are your creators, your angels and protectors, We have returned as promised to help you fufill your destiny."

Then park in orbit, rob them blind and drop an asteroid on them when done.

Mugging on a planetary scale.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They are behind the times, that simple. Thats the main reason for the "Open Minds" to take notice of E.T. life now.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
Our Human-centric view of the universe has got to change, we cannot think of ourselves as the center of all things.

Helmkat,you make a very good point there - I think the 'human-centric view of the universe' is a very ignorant (and arrogant) one.

Lets hope that as we mature and become more secure as a species, people will invest less and less in this incredibly presumptuous mindset.

As for organised,proselytizing religions - if aliens do show up lets hope noone tells this chap:

Cleric orders followers to convert aliens to islam.

PREACHER of hate Omar Bakri is boldly going where no imam has gone before — ordering followers to convert ALIENS to Islam.

Bakri, acting like a character from sci-fi film Mars Attacks, said Muslims must not only spread the word worldwide but also across the galaxy.

He issued the decree during a bizarre rant which has been posted on an extremist website.

Bakri, 50, declared: “We are obliged as Muslims to make the whole galaxy subservient to almighty Allah. Allah has created all living beings in order to obey him and worship him.”

www.thesun.co.uk...

Cheers.

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Anyone else here with familiar with what Malachi Martin wrote about what the Catholic church did on June 29,1963?

They held a ceremony,"The Enthronement of the Fallen Archangel Lucifer",which signaled the beginning of the "availing time". I'm still exploring this,but based on what I've read about aliens really being demons,I'd be very skeptical and more than a little apprehensive about what the catholic church embraces!

Easy to google this subject and see what you think!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I see this as an absolutely crucial step if there ever is to be an official "disclosure" of an alien presence engaging this planet.

Also, if I remember correctly, some of the "leaked" info coming out of the Secret UN Meetings last year was that religious leaders had been "ordered" to start preparing their followers for the possibility of life coming here from elsewhere.

In any event, yeah, this is the Catholic Church trying to make sure that if and when it happens, people don't flip their lid...

Conditioning.

Either that or this is just a stab by the Church to be the last Church standing if and when it happens... probably a combination of both.

Good thread S&F

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

It's things like this that really lend credence to the notion that disclosure may be closer than we all think.

You have to ask yourself, no matter your position on the Catholic church, why the Vatican is positioning itself like this, at this exact time in history. It seems to be that they do nothing without reason and there's not many other ways to interpret this.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join