It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eating Animals is Making us Sick

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla

Originally posted by Rawhemp
Still think fruits don't contain all amino acids necessary?

absolutely. amino acids are building block of protein. Veg protein is very different from meat protein any chemist will tell you that.

No they won't and you won't find one article or statement that supports this.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rawhemp

before i took you somewhat seriously. now i see you are confused about everything not just your improper diet.

well.blogs.nytimes.com...

Life expectancy in the United States has been on the rise for a decade, increasing 1.4 years — from 76.5 years in 1997 to 77.9 in 2007, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

No they won't and you won't find one article or statement that supports this.

The results clarify the point that meat is an important source of protein, which simply can't be substituted with plant based protein sources.

www.recommended.co.nz...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
I would like to see you "No-meaters" trying to survive in nature, like our ancestors, without eating meat.

I'll give you three weeks, then it's over.

Veganism, is a luxury trend, look at the remaining ancient tribes, that still live traditionally, for instance in the rain forest, there are no vegans there.

Veganism is an emotional and psychological condition imo, it's not natural.

Factory farming however, ain't either.

I don't know if you realize this but going "natural" (eating meat in this context) for many parts of the globe is also a luxury trend. It's all about perspective.

People survive without meat all the time. Bottom line is men adapt to their environment as long as there is water and foods. If one is forced to live in an environment with or without meat, s/he will get by with or without meat, and it's all natural in my book.

Veganism is an emotional and psychological condition imo, it's not natural.

Also I would say by this logic a lot of human traits/habits we display in today's society are emotional and psychological conditions that are not natural either, such as debating on the Internet.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by nighinfinite]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Aggie Man

What he is describing is called lacto-vegetarian...and is common among vegetarians

No offense, but i call it fake vegetarian...and I bet is common.

Historically, naturally speaking, we just need proteine from animals, be it meat or milk products.

I have no problem with vegans, just with the ones that act like eating meat is not natural or immoral.

LOL...Wow

So you can tell me what I am, or what I am not, based upon your definition of something which you don't personally practice?

That's pretty bold!

Sorry, but I AM a vegetarian, based on the fact that I do NOT eat meat. If you want to give it another label such as lacto-vegetarian, just as the other kind poster has so graciously pointed out to you, then so be it...

But to say I am a fake-vegetarian because I do not abide by YOUR definition on something which you have no first-hand knowledge of is laughable...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthesticks
reply to post by Tallsorts

Here you would need to read the Urantia Papers

I haven't a clue about this, so not much I can offer either way, except to say that I think what you have posted is baloney. Of course, that is my uneducated in the Urantia way, opinion.

I know you haven't got a clue; and if you don't want to read up on it, you never will have.

Whether I eat meat or not, it is quite clear that there ARE people would want to take meat completely out of our diets. They use a number of ways to do it. As evidenced by several posting on this thread, they use the "guilt" factor, calling meat eaters murders. They also use the "meat is bad for you" method, also evidenced on this thread. And how about PETA? They not only would like to remove meat from our diets, they don't even want people to own pets! So, yes, there are people that would like to take meat away.

I don't remember reading that in THIS thread. It just seemed like people expressing their points of view in a more or less adult kind of way.

Fortunately. I have a cast iron stomach and digestive system and can eat anything that tastes good to me. I'm healthy and always have been. Can consume all the calories I want (although I never pig out!) and stay slender because I get plenty of exercise. Thank goodness cause there's alot of stuff loaded with calories that I dearly love!

Then you should consider yourself fortunate. There are plenty of people about who have got all sorts of dietary and digestive problems, many of them genetic in origin, and they are awfully difficult problems to deal with.

Some friends are Gluten intolerant, and others cannot eat any forms of cereal except rice and corn, and that limits them considerably, because so many food products contain wheat and other cereal derivatives in some way.

My wife is allergic to Eggplant (Aubergine), and it produces projectile vomiting, amongst other things. A former co-worker had her stomach removed due to cancer and now can only eat very little.

Enjoy your life whatever you eat, stay healthy and hope you get through to the end without major problems; many don't.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
By the way...just to clarify my own position amongst all of this bickering,

1. I don't believe that being a vegetarian makes me "better" or more "spiritually advanced" than any one else. I do it for my own spiritual/health reasons, but I also know many people who eat meat and who are very in-tune with themselves and their spirituality. It is simply a personal preference of my own, and I never try to push it on anyone else.

2. I believe eating natural/organic meats like poultry can be very beneficial for the body and healthy as well. My children eat turkey and chicken, and I think it is important for young, growing bodies to have a certain amount of protein in their diets. Again, these are my OWN opinions and beliefs...and I do not seek out to tell anyone else what's best for their own, or their children's bodies.

3. I think you can be perfectly healthy as a vegetarian, a vegan, or an omnivore. It's all about the choices you make within your own dietary preferences that will determine your health, not what you label yourself. I am perfectly healthy as a 7ft tall, 290 pound vegetarian, and I believe I could also sustain my body as either a vegan or an omnivore and do just fine as well. I choose to take supplements as a vegetarian, but I also took supplements when I ate meat...So I don't really believe that I am any more or less dependent upon them now.

The bottom line is that I believe these choices about a person's diet should be just that...a choice. I don't believe anyone should try to knock someone else for what they believe in or practice, and we should all follow what works best for us. I ate meat for 28 years of my life, and I personally don't miss it at all. But just because this is the right diet for me, doesn't mean it's the right diet for everyone.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by bigdaddy7ftr]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Tesla
2 words: amino acids.

You can not get all the amino acids from eating only veggies simply because they do not have them.

meat also has high phosphorus content allowing the vitamins to be more easily absorbed by the body another thing that veggies lack.

source : Dr. John Beradi, Ph.D

You can get all the amino acids you need from Hemp Seed.

This is the opening paragraph of 'HEMP SEED: THE MOST NUTRITIONALLY
COMPLETE FOOD SOURCE IN THE WORLD by Lynn Osburn:

Seeds of the plant cannabis sativa, hemp seed, contain all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain healthy human life. No other single plant source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs.

You can read the scientific details here if you want to:

abundanthope.net...

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by bigdaddy7ftr

Vegetarianism is the practice of following a diet based on plant-based foods including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, with or without dairy products and eggs.[1] Vegetarians do not eat meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, shellfish, or products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived gelatin and rennet.[1][2][3] A vegan diet is a form of vegetarian diet which excludes all animal products, including dairy products, eggs, and honey

But to say I am a fake-vegetarian because I do not abide by YOUR definition on something which you have no first-hand knowledge of is laughable...

That was Wiki's definition. Your still not a vegetarian, since you use dairy products.

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Point of No Return]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

If I may say so, you have a very sensible and balanced view, and it was a pleasure to read your post.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

LOL...

Well if wiki says so so, then it must be true! You do see the irony in telling me what my own label should be, based upon your own assumptions on the fitting definition of MY lifestyle, right?

Sorry pal, I consider MYSELF to be a vegetarian...I'm really not concerned with YOUR definition, or anyone elses

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tallsorts

If I may say so, you have a very sensible and balanced view, and it was a pleasure to read your post.

Same to you...I've been reading your posts throughout this entire thread, and I think they are very well thought out and sensible!

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nighinfinite

I don't know if you realize this but going "natural" (eating meat in this context) for many parts of the globe is also a luxury trend. It's all about perspective. People survive without meat all the time. Bottom line is men adapt to their environment as long as there is water and foods.

Correct, and historically, the natural diet always had meat in it, we evolved as hunter-gatherers.

Because of the modern day situation, people adapt to new feeding habits, but man has traditionally always eaten meat and animal products, just like all remaining indigenous people across the world still do.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Vegetarianism is the practice of following a diet based on plant-based foods including fruits, vegetables, cereal grains, nuts, and seeds, with or without dairy products and eggs.[1] Vegetarians do not eat meat, game, poultry, fish, crustacea, shellfish, or products of animal slaughter such as animal-derived gelatin and rennet.[1][2][3] A vegan diet is a form of vegetarian diet which excludes all animal products, including dairy products, eggs, and honey

That was Wiki's definition. Your still not a vegetarian, since you use dairy products.

Yes he is; he's known as a Ovo Lacto Vegetarian, if you want a label. That amounts to the largest group, and a large amount of the population of India are in that category.

If you take the word 'Vegetarian' and take out the letters 'etari', you get the word 'Vegan' which applies to those who leave out eggs, dairy etc.

Then there are Frutarians, but that's another story altogether.

[edit on 29/10/2009 by Tallsorts]

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Yes very ironic indeed.

You'll get the same definition in any dictionairy.

What you consider yourself to be doesn't count.

You don't fit the description, You eat dairy products. Wich mean you are, by definition, not a vegetarian.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

[edit on 29-10-2009 by Point of No Return]

One more thing, on top of everything else I already said...your wiki definition actually agrees with mine...I consider myself a vegetarian, not a vegan. I see no inconsistencies with what I call myself whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Yes very ironic indeed.

You'll get the same definition in any dictionairy.

What you consider yourself to be doesn't count.

You don't fit the description, You eat dairy products. Wich mean you are, by definition, not a vegetarian.

Why don't you try reading YOUR OWN definition again first....I provided it back to you in the post right above this one.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Yep, I'm sorry, I was wrong, I misread the last part of that definition.

Still think it's cheating, though, you're still taking something from an animal.

Then you could also eat eggs.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Yep, I'm sorry, I was wrong, I misread the last part of that definition.

Still think it's cheating, though, you're still taking something from an animal.

Then you could also eat eggs.

I see we've gone full circle...

So now, you are no longer arguing that what I claim to be isn't so by definition, only that it doesn't fit YOUR definition of what my OWN lifestyle should or should not entail...even though you have no first-hand knowledge of participating in this lifestyle yourself?

I guess I just can't win...LOL

BTW...this is a prime example of why I don't think that people should judge one another based on things they do not fully understand. People on the outside looking in are usually the harshest critics; claiming to speak from a position of knowledge on things they really don't know. When in reality, they should be listening to those who actually LIVE what they talk about, instead of trying to judge or define them based on incorrect assumptions.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tallsorts

And potheads would have you believe it could cure cancer and bring back the dead if they thought it would make it legal....

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join