It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
What to say...

I'm a 20 something guy who is still in touch with his inner child enough to like giant robots that beat the crap out of each other.

Oh... and there is subliminal messages embedded in every pixel too. It just says 'buy the movie Grease' over and over again.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Avatar? That's a real photograph of me!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pathos

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Consider the implications [and] possibilities for social and psychological manipulation... The possibilities are endless...

Before I start reading through your thread, I wanted to stop and address this one comment. I want to give you a new word, which may help in your searches. Its called 'conditioning'.

Look up 'Classical & Controlled Conditioning'. Symbolism is used to condition people into buying products, or to rally people under the banner of patriotism. Its everywhere and it does have an impact.

Completely agree with this idea. I thought about it as well, but didn't want to pack too many concepts into one thread and risk losing the original intent of the thread.

It does all tie together and as a whole, makes a huge impact on one's daily life.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

I'm actually a lot smarter than most cats - I can copy paste.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
As for my avatar, I'm an astral projection addict, as well as lucid dreamer so I figured mine would fit perfectly with me.

I will agree with the idea that certain avatars, for some reason, make you think of others differently. More well done avatars tend to lead one to believe the user is more intelligent, while sloppy ones will reflect the opposite.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTrueFiction
reply to post by wonderworld

I'm actually a lot smarter than most cats - I can copy paste.

You are pretty funny now youve turned in to a cool cat huh?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
This where i love to travel one day in space

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

It may sound a bit immature but there have been times, that members have made me so angry I wanted to say “your avatar says a lot about you” I never have in fear of a warning about courtesy , commenting on a member rather than the topic or T&C.

It usually only happens on chemtrail threads. It’s nice here where we can discuss perceptions in a positive way.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Interesting study

It’s not the first thread on ATS that describes the fascination of ppl on Avatars but it’s good to see a real study is been done.

Am I influenced by avatars when I befriend ppl on forums? Yes, at first glance I notice someone BECAUSE of their ava’s. Then I read something somewhere in a thread try to put an image of someone together. Very basic like we do in our all day social life.

The Question for me is: do I like what someone seems to represent (by their ava) and do I like what they have to say?

I believe it works the same in ordinary daily life: you keep away from those that do not ‘click’ with you and you reach out to those who have similar ideas / visions or (life)style.

About my avatar: it gives a general idea of my lifestyle
quite New Agey, spiritual, love for our Planet etc. or maybe better said .. an endless dreamer

btw S & F!!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Get your vaccine and shut the hell up! What do you know anyway?

Sorry, what would you expect with this avatar?

[edit on 21-10-2009 by Donkey_Dean]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I changed my avatar to something different to see if I note a difference. I wonder if I'll see any differences?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

yours and phages avetars are my fav
mine well im not sure if i have seen the same image for real make what you want of that

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld[/url]

I've always liked your avatar as I have a daughter with the same eye color as your avatar.

Tenticles avatar is creepy but in a Cthulhu sort of way.

Mikes old outhouse one always made me laugh.

Sachosearly has been through so many it's scary.

I try and avoid posting counter arguments to anyone who avatar (or name)shows that they have an obvious bias.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I dont think im affected by peoples avatars. I usually read posts without even looking at the avatars. . . although there are avatars that catch my eye i generally don't pay them much attention.

It seems awfully shortsighted to judge a poster by their avi

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
So in a nutshell, if ATS is a highway, our Avatars are like "vanity plates" on our vehicle posts.

Odd that we subliminally strive to impress virtual strangers.

Hopefully mine screams: "Hey look at me. I'm unique just like everybody else."

[edit on 21-10-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I picked my avatar because you never really should believe anything you read on the internet.

I despise any avatar which features a politician or has movement in it.

World watcher's avatars use to be my favorite, pluckynoonanz's always bring a smile and everytime I see Phage's I want to hit someone.

My all time most hated one is the avatar of Obama appearing to look at a girl's behind. Complete misrepresentation of what occurred at that moment.

And who can forget the avatar of Tentickles (Sp.)? Love it.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I sometimes think that ATS is one big art show.

So many cool pics and people, that it can get a bit distracting. I myself am a bit tired of political subjects, so I picked an urban one. Doesn't really represent me that much, maybe a little.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
So in a nutshell, if ATS is a highway, our Avatars are like "vanity plates" on our vehicle posts.

Odd that we subliminally strive to impress virtual strangers.

But are we?

It would seem that we aren't doing it for others (unless we have an agenda) but are actually choosing avatars for ourselves... some representation of our self, a piece of us that we are o.k. showing others...

[edit on 21-10-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I picked the avatar because it was a picture of myself. I've never considered myself attractive but at the same time I've never used pictures that weren't ones of myself. This is who I am. It's not spectacular but it will have to do.

I tend to not take people seriously if i see an overly aggressive type of picture. The "marine" shots, "i went to war" images, barbarian shots. I've lived in an army town all my life. my dad was in the army, my husband is in the army, my sister was in the navy and my brother is in the air force. Those images annoy me for some reason. I think it has a lot to do with my family never advertising what they did or holding it in high regard.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by antonia]

Lug

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donkey_Dean

Get your vaccine and shut the hell up!

Oh, yeah!!! Come and force me!

Just kidding. I wanted to make a point and your finger pointing at me got me all defensive.

If no-one has ever seen the character in my avatar, it's Ranxerox and he doesn't take prisoners even though he's kind and loving sort.

Well, maybe not so loving. Basically, he's just sort of a security guard who'll tear anyone apart that threatens whoever he's tasked with.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join