It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Influence of Avatars and Images: are you affected?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Hi , being a newbie I take in the avatar on each post I read .
Then I move to signature . Signature and mood if present sheds more an open door re the poster , most times for me . Avatars are an art , awesome , some wild , some truly breathtaking , some scary .
Because most avatars have a lot of work , blood sweet and tears put into their creation I do take the time to sit back , sip my coffee and enjoy the picture created . But it is the signature that moves me the most . Cheers .

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Interesting thread, and each and every time someone brings one up like it, I laugh.

I notice which people do not care for them, people who go along and go with the flow, and as well people who are semi-creeped out about them.

People, are people, and not everyone is necessarily as deep a thinker as everyone else.

My avatar is who I am in many ways, because I am a video gamer, as well my nickname is "Chief" everywhere I go because people see the no nonsense side of me when I am working and this was something bestowed upon me by others, the nickname, but it was after a seminal event in my life where I proved myself.

As well I was told by a friend who is a self-proclaimed "psychic" I was Leonidas in a past life, so I chose to have the member name fitting who I see myself as the most being a dominant male figure and I am mentally armored up against psychological attacks and mental tricks because of my knowledge of the human psyche.

The problem with being and seeing one's self as a dominant male, is people will attack me, whether I want them to or not, because I have noticed that people see me as a leader whether I want them to or not, whether I try to lead or not, people try to follow me and when people see a leader who is confident like I am they see the necessity to either be beside me, try to knock me off the top of the heap, or want to learn from me and each and every time I have to prove just how powerful a leader I am whether it is my avatar or whether is my physical appearance and leadership which I have been told exudes from me, my aura projecting dominance and leadership.

Dominant and dominance should not be mistaken for domineering though, dominant and dominance meaning strength and strong, and domineering being abusive.

I am a bully buster and bust those who would abuse others.

Do I think other people here on ATS use their avatars and images to affect others?

Sure I do.

I can even tell who does and does not, despite their claims to the contrary, or feigned benevolence.

Do I do it?

No.

I do not believe in attacking or misleading others using my avatar, because if I did you would not know what I had just admitted, and as well anyone who asks, not that many have, get the same type of post I just typed out here.

I do not choose to randomly change my avatar as often as I see some people.

I instead choose to change it once every year or two, when the mood suits me.

But then I have been on the Internet now for twenty plus years, and I have learned.

Education leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to wisdom, and wisdom properly applied is power.

Here's my previous avatar.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8914061908e6.jpg[/atsimg]

This is one I have considered using.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/efe1eb971a63.gif[/atsimg]

This one as well is one I have considered.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8df2eb896c8c.gif[/atsimg]

Avatars are only what you put into them but just as much as what others see in them.

Whether someone uses them to influence, affect, or misdirect is wholly based upon that person's ethics, morals, and character.

Of course, looking at what the person posting, posts, always helps as well.

I remember your original thread and smile each and every time at the humor.

The Rise of Sex Robots and Pleasure Machines

[edit on 21-10-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I've been annoyed by avatars and consequently have formed an opinion of the poster before ever reading the post. Generally, after reading the post my opinion doesnt change but occasionally it does. Though I will still find the avatar annoying. Especially moving ones that contrast the background.

I've blocked more than one avatar image with ABP.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
And what of those of us who have not, or choose not to, utilize an avatar?

Are we somehow perceived as being "not really one of the pack"?

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I am not entirely happy with my avatar and will make more in due time I am sure.

The reason why I picked this photograph for the time being is because first of all I find it beautiful and also the idea of a cheetah taking a break from her stressful day to look back at us is just funny.

Cheers.

Edit to add - considering the social power of avatars I am sure there are grounds for that discussion but personally I just see them as decoration.

2nd Edit to add:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3390b9d33be1.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 21-10-2009 by InTrueFiction]

[edit on 21-10-2009 by InTrueFiction]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I often think that some people read far too much into avatars.

Mine might suggest to someone that I have some form of god complex, think I am better than other people or that I can fly etc

That is all absolute nonsense, I picked my avatar because I am usually the first to speak up in rl situations even if it could get messy, life is a path to me and neo was on a path that was unique just like everyone else is, I also picked the name XXXN3O at the time with the meaning unknown one because thats what I am to others on this site. I made sure it was black and white because thats what I see in life, there is no gray.

I do not think many people would understand my avatar, I have had people judging me for it completely wrong and that is not a bad thing in my eyes because it entertains me

Interesting topic but I think that people need to reflect to understand an avatars meaning rather than the whole insta-judge concept everyone is fascinated with these days.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
hey all, I picked my avatar because I love apocalyptic imagery and I love this pic, so much so that I have it tattoo'd on across my back, and well as far as my name of Stereovoyaged, its an anagram of my real name

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:08 AM
link   

I admit I use my Avatar as warning... Don't tread on me....
Images are a very powerful force and correctly used can keep people from being shoot in the face!!!

Allow me to explain... I had trouble with some neighbours, vandalizing my vans threatening my kids and granddaughter... They knew not who their were messing with, never bother to get to know us,,, so as a friendly warning to back off and be polite I placed these three flags in my yard
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/616afb2a0abe.jpg[/atsimg]

Worked like a charm... they don't like us and most likely never will but that's okay as long as they leave us alone...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I can only assume that my avatar conveys the fact that I am Canadian, but not enough to scare the sled dogs.

I am always intrigued with some of the aggressive and intense avatars chosen by folks here that come from 'a certain point of view'. I have even come to mock some with the phrase Keyboard Kommandoes (with Action Avatars!).

I corresponded with a journalist who came up with "Pajamahadeen"...which slew me and we swapped phrases. Some of y'all should recognise it by now

Essentially, it amuses me that these big scary avatars come off even sillier than my cross-dressing English lumberjack.

Happy trails, good thread, S&F to you!

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

No images of anything are good.
Only words can effect positive change.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I chose mine because it makes me smile .. Susan Boyle lives near me and from what I know about her she would have a good laugh at it too (so I don't feel guilty)

Have to say that I was drawn to ATS partly because of the avatars, some of the design effort that goes into them is quite brilliant and also the simplest (and sometimes cleverest) ones are just as powerful..

My favourite is the pole dancing cow - can't remember who's that is..

cheers

Berth

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
my avatar is from my Xbox Live avatar, if its not that obvious.
and its me, well, actually i need to update it.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by badBERTHA
I chose mine because it makes me smile .. Susan Boyle lives near me and from what I know about her she would have a good laugh at it too (so I don't feel guilty)

Have to say that I was drawn to ATS partly because of the avatars, some of the design effort that goes into them is quite brilliant and also the simplest (and sometimes cleverest) ones are just as powerful..

My favourite is the pole dancing cow - can't remember who's that is..

cheers

Berth

Ive probably walked past you at some point or flew with my baggy coat and shades

Good too see someone near me on ATS.

[edit on 21-10-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
My Avatar is self explanatory. Some people's Avatar's make you think really deeply about the person who posted it. Some make you laugh while others are a complete turn off and sometimes vile or over sexualized.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I don't know how to make an avatar. So this is what you get. hehe I also don't really know how to upload pics without help. I need to learn computers better.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   

I am unintentionally conveying that I am an alien, with my image...

Other than being male, this avatar.. really says nothing about me... I enjoy alien subjects.. maybe that's in there. I enjoy, government cover-up subjects.... maybe that's represented in there with the shirt n tie....

I think that my avatars do influence others perceptions of my intelligence... because, unfortunately I don't have much. I hope that people like me as per my likability. My credibility? If I am wrong or have not provided evidence for my topics, I either admit to my mistakes and stand corrected... or try to provide links to the source of my information... so that part is covered I think. And hopefully, by my posts, people will understand that I have a sense of humor, and that I am just a normal guy...

So after thinking about it, and responding to your questions... I am using my Avatar to convey that - I am an Alien inside Your government, covering up some big secrets, and conspiring taking over your planet... muhahahaha...

On a serious note, I have thought about this... and maybe I will change it again in the near future...

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My avatar represents myself to a " T "
It is the 6x6 Alvin stalwart (stolly), REME forward repair detachment variant, It represents my time in BAOR and is currant with my career at the present, Heavy engineering, Also it reflects my character as tough independent and reliable, and able to turn my hand to many tasks....
That said my favorite would be a crossed " hammer and condom " emblem
Cause if you cant FIX it f**K it.. Rolmao.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
It ain't pretty but it is a self portrait. It's true, I am an Alien Demon. Remember, step 1 is to make sure you don't believe I exist.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I was just thinking about this the other night. I actually spent time looking at some avatars in awe, at the depth to which some go. There is a direct influence. Some, to me, indicate very highly intelligent people. Too bad I didn't remember who they are
, while some initiate an almost immediate question of. . .well, trust. Those, naturally, I listed, copied profiles, and entered them into a database.
Seriously though, it's an excellent opportunity to express a great percentage of the thought process of an individual while, and this is the fun part, your perception of the person may still be wrong.

I wish I had started this thread.

posted on Oct, 21 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
why don't u try not logging in so the avatars don't show up. then you'll be able to have a better comparison of how avatars affect the way you view someone.

it reminds me of john lennon's concept of bagism.

Bagism involved literally wearing a bag over one's entire body. According to John and Yoko, by living in a bag, a person could not be judged by others on the basis of skin color, gender, hair length, attire, age, or any other such attributes. It was presented as a form of total communication. Instead of focusing on outward appearance, the listener would hear only the bagist's message.

and to be honest (with myself), the slutty hot girl avatars make me think your slutty and hot

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join