It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jupiter's Moon Europa Has Enough Oxygen For Life

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Jupiter's Moon Europa Has Enough Oxygen For Life October 16th, 2009 Enlarge

A model of Europa's interior, including a global ocean. If a 100 kilometer-deep ocean existed below the Europan ice shell, it would be 10 times deeper than any ocean on Earth and would contain twice as much water as Earth's oceans and rivers combined. Credit: NASA/JPL

New research suggests that there is plenty of oxygen available in the subsurface ocean of Europa to support oxygen-based metabolic processes for life similar to that on Earth. In fact, there may be enough oxygen to support complex, animal-like organisms with greater oxygen demands than microorganisms.

Link

Amazing speculation, how would that know for sure...

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Oct 19 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That is amazing information! It has been speculated for many years that Europa could support life. Only recently I saw something about a very very very old sea that had been covered by ice in Antarctica for many many many years. We are looking for life there now and if there is life there then it can be assumed with little margin of error that there is life on Europa. It is impossible and irresponsible to think that "WE" are alone in the universe. By we I mean LIFE!

LifENcircleS

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

more europa photos. i found these while scanning larger images of europa and thought they were really interesting
www.thestargates.com...
www.thestargates.com...

thought you might find them as interesting as i did.

source:
pdsmaps.wr.usgs.gov...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yeee Ha!!! This is incredible news S+F for you

Now all we have to do is keep the multinational corporations from trying to colonize it and we'll be all set.

I wonder what a frozen based organism would look like, and if they like coffee... hmmm.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here is an article from August 24, 2000, there may now be some validation even if it's speculative.

Galileo Uncovers Compelling Evidence of Ocean On Jupiter's Moon Europa
By Maia Weinstock
Staff Writer
posted: 02:00 pm ET
24 August 2000

It looks like its a water world after all.

Data collected earlier this year by the Galileo spacecraft has now generated what some scientists are calling virtually undeniable evidence that Jupiters moon Europa has a significant water ocean churning beneath its icy surface.

The data, which was collected by Galileos magnetic-field-detecting instruments when the spacecraft flew close to the icy moon, showed that there is an electrically charged layer of some substance stirring possibly as close as 4.7 miles (7.5 kilometers) below the moons ice crust. Planetary scientists say the most likely explanation for the data is a liquid-water ocean similar to oceans found on Earth a possibility that has extraterrestrial life-seekers reeling with excitement.

Link

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Oct 19 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
F & S
Thanks for the info.
We are not alone, for sure.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the pics Undo

A chaotic region on Europa, which may have been caused by a complete melt-through of Europa's icy shell from an ocean below. Reddish regions mark areas of mineral deposits

.Link to Enlarge

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Great link and information. S + F!

I believe Europa may be our best shot at discovering (potentially complex) life in our solar system, up there with Enceladus and Titan as well. Finding life elsewhere is the Holy Grail of space exploration. I look forward to the day when we are able to get to these places with ease and find out what is really there.

I hope NASA and the other space agencies get it together and send an exploration mission there sometime in the next couple decades.

I know of the Europa Jupiter System Mission, but that isn't definite yet and won't launch until 2020 if it does go through. And all the JEO will do is orbit Europa and look for evidence of a possible subsurface ocean. I think our space programs need to be a little more aggressive and take some risks if we want to gain some ground. In the 14th-century, explorers didn't travel a mile farther than before to look for new land or the edge of the Earth and then turn back. They were assertive and took chances. That is what we should do with unmanned space probes...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
October 17, 2009
Life Beyond Earth? NASA Examines Hints from Europa and Titan

Link to Video

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
THIS IS AMAZEING.
If there is life in the oceans it might of evolved without extiction events .
Jupiter cleans up asteroids and comets but with an ice surface on europa with the oceans so deep could that mean impacts might not wipe out evolving AQUATIC LIFE??? .THEREfore evolveing un hindered.(no dinosaur extinction) the alien i seen looked aquatic but with a greenish suit but the head was changeing probally because i hadent seen anything like it before . colour like the inside of a perl shell. but like looking through rippling water ,very cold or un emotionsl. about 3 to 4 feet tall. then it was gone stood right on my bed and i looked up legs first knees chest muscler human torso head was way undulating couldnt make head nor tale of it except beutiful pearl colours

infact the colours of europas ice in the above pictures are simlar to the aliens head but x that with life flowing blood, but replace the blood with aliens colors very intense like our lcd colour on tv all over like a octopuss skin can blend

you know europa is not for us we must leave it alone .dont go there or send probes

is this the same bill ryan if so wow the hat is better for chicks..

www.jerrypippin.com...

[edit on 18-10-2009 by dashar]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dashar

dashar you are absolutely right, we should leave Europa alone plus Mars, the Moon and all other Planets, we cannot take of our own Planet properly, what bothers me more than anything else is the reason for these probes, certainly not in their best interest, exploitation by NASA and our Military Industrial Complex funded by tax payer dollars, that would be you and me.
Sure I am curious to know what's out there, that doesn't mean we have to do anything once we know.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

I don't suppose that Europa's water came from the same source as Earth's? I wonder how this effects the old theory that Earth's water came from comets.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
This is great. I've already seen it in the Universe series on TV. I believe that our own solar system is teeming with life (physical and non physical
)

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Useless speculation! Even if there was life on Europa would NASA tell you the truth about it?No I don't think they would.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
Useless speculation! Even if there was life on Europa would NASA tell you the truth about it?No I don't think they would.

These things always leak out, problem most won't believe because they are not official announcements.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
:'( lol i posted this atleast 3-4 days ago. . . seems my stuff always gets looked over. . . ohwell

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE

Speculation perhaps, but what is useless about it?

Speculation leads to testing leads to answers leads to knowledge

And yes, I think that NASA would let us in on this one.

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
:'( lol i posted this atleast 3-4 days ago. . . seems my stuff always gets looked over. . . ohwell

I agree... MODS: all stars and flags should go to constantwonder and this thread should be closed. More people should thoroughly search ATS BEFORE starting new threads. Seems like more and more lately, that quite a few people are "Flag Trolling".....

just an opinion

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder

I am so sorry contantwonder, I honestly didn't see it, will be more careful with my seaches next time. I see how I missed it, two different area's, didn't look in technology.

[edit on 18-10-2009 by Aquarius1]

posted on Oct, 18 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
No worries. . . . Maybe here it will get the attention i believe it deserves
everyone should be cheering to get the new Europa/Jupiter mission off the ground

www.space.com...

www.planetary.org...

[edit on 18-10-2009 by constantwonder]

<<   2  3 >>

join